1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Pen-F, silver or black?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JYPfoto, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Silver

59 vote(s)
    63.4%
  2. Black

34 vote(s)
    36.6%
  1. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    Intrigued by the idea of the Pen-F and I've always been a black camera shooter, but I'd be lying if I said the silver one wasn't intriguing. I have a silver Fuji X70 which I prefer over the black one. The black one does look more discreet but I'm not a street shooter by any means, so the level of discreetness while shooting has no impact on me. And even the normal black lenses on the silver Pen-F don't look so terrible either. So for those that have the Pen-F or will buy one, silver or black?

2. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I like the red one

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. toggen

toggen Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2016
    Silver!
    And yes, black lenses on that silver
    body is really good looking,too.
    Chiao!

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's got to be silver. if ever a camera suits silver, it's the Pen F. Silver lenses too!

5. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Rob
    "Always bet on black" - Wesley Snipes from the (terrible) movie Passenger 57. :biggrin:

Black camera gets my vote.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Silver, silver and more silver

7. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Whichever color you chose, you'll regret not getting the other ;)

For the Pen-F, get the silver though. OM-Ds in black.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    The silver Pen F looks a bit like an old Barnack Leica. So that's how I'm getting it -- when the budget allows, and if Olympus ever makes enough to start shipping again.

9. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    Not intending to buy Pen F as I hv bought GX8 but if I were to do so , it wud be the silver version .

10. rav

rav Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 28, 2015
    I'm using the black Pen F since yesterday. It's a sample unit send to me for reviewing purposes. If I had to buy it I will go with silver for sure. 2016-03-12 06.02.11 1-01.

• Like Like x 2
  11. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    I went to the local camera store and all they had was the black one on display, but neither in stock to sell. Liked it in black but they didn't have it to sell. Felt great in the hand with the primes I tried it with (17/45), wanted to see the 75, but they didn't have it. Tried it with the 12-40 and it was useable, but a little front heavy. I would use it with primes only, probably up to the 75.

Either way black looked very nice, but leaning towards putting an order in for the silver version and just waiting it. I bought the silver version of the Fuji X70 and really like it but looking to get the Pen F instead as a more versatile compact option.

12. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Silver camera - but never ever silver lenses, no matter what colour your camera has.

I quite like the brown special version of the E-M10 II maybe wait and see if they do a brown and silver Pen F :)

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm waiting for leopard print myself.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US

If Oly only just didn't release silver lenses first... Blast 12/17/45/75 are all silver and not worth swapping, heh

15. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    I were dead set on a silver Pen-F, so off course, I bought a black GX7...

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    I rented a black Pen F for the weekend. Nice camera, but I won't be buying one at its current price point. (I just bought an E-M1). My preference would be silver, though.

TT

17. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Oh well...I had all black prime lenses (17, 45, 75) with my silver E-M10 however bought my daughter a white E-PL7 for Christmas and swapped them all out for silver versions so we could share lenses. Black lenses on a white body is not a good look!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Maybe this application can help you decide which Pen-F colour suites your prime lenses's colour.

Four Thirds | Special Contents | Matching Simulation

By the way, i vote Silver Pen F besides it looks prettier and it can fits black primes's colour. Black Pen F looks less prettier if it's match with silver primes. At least as i see it on that simulation link above.

19. magicaxeman

magicaxeman Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    Essex UK
    Ian
    I bought a graphite silver XT-1 and found it hard to read the black markings on silver dials, whereas white on black is easy for me to read, so I went for a black one, just waiting for the decoration kit to become available here to see what it looks like with bloodwood hotshoe cover & soft release.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I think the whole "looks more discreet" argument for black is bogus. We shouldn't be ashamed of or hiding what we are doing. If you have light skin a black rectangle in front of your face is not discreet. Get the silver because it looks classy and vintage and doesn't look "pro"...which of course means it is more discreet :hiding:.

• Agree Agree x 3