Pen-F Shutter Count is weird

Mu-43 Legend
Found this video. Interesting (he drops a loud f-bomb there in the beginning, just FYI)

It seems the Pen-F shutter count can wrack up higher than what the actual shutter itself is??

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The value R correctly shows the number of photos taken. The value B correctly shows the number of times the shutter button was pressed.
Since he takes lots of hires photos the number R is much higher than the number B, since one shutter press takes 8 photos.
Was this worth making a 4 minute video about?

Mu-43 Legend
Since many people refer to it as ‘shutter count’ I think it’s worth noting. Physical shutters have an expected life span, and it’s interesting that neither number gets you there (at least if full electronic shutter is a feature)

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The E-M1 is like the Pen-F, the first value is called R and it counts all photos taken, silent or not.

The E-M1 II has the first value called MS instead of R, and it counts the number of mechanical shutter actuations.

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My Pen F gives me R, Flash (obvious), U, Shutt, & BHOA. Except for flash, I'm not sure what the others are. Any help?

I'm puzzled that yours is so different to mine. Are you running some very old firmware - you should upgrade. I'm on 3.1, the latest.
You are looking at Page 2?

The letters on mine are: RSCUVBL
R is the number of photos taken.
S is number of flash shots.
U is how many times you have turned the camera on. It is U for the Ultrasonic cleaner - it operates each time the camera is powered on.
B is the number of shutter Button presses.

ata3001

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ron
I'm puzzled that yours is so different to mine. Are you running some very old firmware - you should upgrade. I'm on 3.1, the latest.
You are looking at Page 2?

The letters on mine are: RSCUVBL
R is the number of photos taken.
S is number of flash shots.
U is how many times you have turned the camera on. It is U for the Ultrasonic cleaner - it operates each time the camera is powered on.
B is the number of shutter Button presses.
My firmware is 3.0. I didn't upgrade to 3.1 because I saw nothing in the latest firmware upgrade that would benefit me.
my numbers are: R = 12846, S = 181, U = 1596, B = 12415, BHOA = 15713
The counts are slightly higher than before from working on lighting today for a table top pic.
If (B) is the number of shutter Button presses, why would that be less than the number of (R) photos taken? Curious about how this could be...
I wonder.....Could it be that when you do an in-camera HDR image, you only press the shutter once, but the camera takes multiple images, in-camera (depending on the number of images you have set), to create that one HDR image. I'm guessing thats the answer to R vs B.

Last edited:

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My firmware is 3.0. I didn't upgrade to 3.1 because I saw nothing in the latest firmware upgrade that would benefit me.
my numbers are: R = 12846, S = 181, U = 1596, B = 12415, BHOA = 15713
The counts are slightly higher than before from working on lighting today for a table top pic.
If (B) is the number of shutter Button presses, why would that be less than the number of (R) photos taken? Curious about how this could be...
I wonder.....Could it be that when you do an in-camera HDR image, you only press the shutter once, but the camera takes multiple images, in-camera (depending on the number of images you have set), to create that one HDR image. I'm guessing thats the answer to R vs B.
I have learned that B is actually the number of times IBIS has been used, so very similar or the same as the number of shutter presses.
But the likely reason R is larger than B is because you have used features that take multiple exposures with one press of the button. For example HDR or hires. R counts them all.

ata3001

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ron
I have learned that B is actually the number of times IBIS has been used, so very similar or the same as the number of shutter presses.
But the likely reason R is larger than B is because you have used features that take multiple exposures with one press of the button. For example HDR or hires. R counts them all.
Yes, your thoughts agree with my thoughts on why the R count is higher than the B count. Great minds think alike, lol....

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yes, your thoughts agree with my thoughts on why the R count is higher than the B count. Great minds think alike, lol....
Recent cameras no longer have R, instead they have MS = Mechanical Shutter. A more useful number.

Latest threads

Top Bottom