Pen-F SAF focus speed and accuracy? And IQ vs E-M5ii?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SkiHound, Sep 9, 2017.

1. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Given the current sale, I'm toying with the idea of buying a Pen-F. Don't really NEED it, but it's been quite a while since I've spent any meaningful money on gear, and I just kind of want a new toy. And I've always been attracted to the looks of that darn thing. I know the CAF is pretty much useless, but I've read somewhat contradictory reports regarding SAF speed and accuracy. I've seen some folks say it's not as good as the current cdaf Olympus bodies such as the E-M5ii or 10ii. Interested to here your thoughts on this.

Also curious as to perceived IQ vs current 16mp Olympus bodies. I know most reviews seem to indicate that improvements are pretty minimal. Again, wondering what those of you who have used both think about real world IQ?

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I have not seen a differnence between the S-AF on the PEN-F versus the EM5.2 or EM1.1. It seems solid and responsive as I've come to expect from Olympus in this regard.

IQ - I noticed a slight increase in dynamic range and high ISO. IF that were an only reason to upgrade, it would not be enough for me to do so. What I did love about the PEN-F is the form factor. It just makes sense to me.
    Here is a review I did of the PEN-F if you are interested: Best Light Photographic BLOG: Olympus PEN-F Review

One thing I will mention is this - if you do get a PEN-F and it is on firmware 1.1, I'd recommend leaving it there until Olympus gets the 2.x lock up bug fixed.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Thanks for the comments and the link Gryphon. I have an E-M1i and E-M10ii and tend to use them differently. The 10ii is my daily travel companion, usually used with relatively small primes or something like the 12-32. I've really come to value the smaller size and lighter weight. I can even take it skiing pretty comfortably. Not so thrilled with how it handles larger lenses but I really want to keep a smaller body. I pretty much expected the 10iii to be a 10ii with a 20mp sensor and with some new little features added mostly through firmware. It seems like a real downgrade in many ways. E-M5ii is a little larger and heavier and my guess is that when we see an E-M5iii it will have gained a little more weight and girth. The Pen-F would basically take the place of the 10ii. I usually take the E-M1 when I'm doing photography. Much prefer the handling with larger lenses so I've not ruled out the idea of moving to the E-M1ii and keeping the 10ii. The sane thing is just to roll with what I have, but that's not always the fun thing.

4. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    The lock-up bug has been fixed a while ago already, and not everybody suffered from it (I never did, for one).

Personally, for me the Pen-F is the camera I have always with me, it essentially replaced my Canon G10 as my carry everywhere. The idea was to replace it with a better camera which catered for exchangeable lenses, while not increasing the form factor, or not by too much. In addition, it also replaces a second body, because it is so good, and because it takes other lenses than just a standard zoom - it replaced my GF2 very effectively, and the E-M10 (the E-M1 II replaced my E-M5 II). And 20 MP for me is the sweet point where I do not need more for the next 4 to 5 years (if not more, considering high-res mode).

I also like the creative modes dial, basically because it makes it so darn easy to switch between monochrome and colour profiles so easily to hand out jpegs straight after any shoot, without having to do any postprocessing immediately. BTW, that is another reason for me to go Oly 20MP bodies: the great SOOC jpegs.

As to AF: I shoot with it at parties with dim lighting, no problem, although I tend to use the F/2.8 zooms in that case. Since I do work fairly slowly (I don't do pray and spray), I find it works very well indeed, only having problems focusing when I have problems with any camera focusing, dslr or milc. And under those conditions, MF is way easier with a Pen-F than any dslr, if you ask me :).

Kind regards, Wim

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    I use my Pen-F for street photography. My approach in the past with other cameras was to manually zone focus, so I started that way with the Pen-F (with the manual focus clutch on the 17 mm f1.8). But after some testing, I discovered that AF with face detection works really well, so that's how I now shoot most of the time. Focus is fast and reliably selects people closer to me rather than distant buildings. I miss focus less than when I zone focused.

• Like Like x 2
  6. AlexMachine

AlexMachine Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2016
    Finland
    I'm in a same boat. EM1 is my main body and EM5 backup when hiking, vice versa in urban settings.
    I have been eyeing Pen F for some time to replace EM5. I could continue with EM5, but a thing that really bothers me is control layout on EM5 - it is different compared to EM1 which get about 80% of my time. Pen F has similar to EM1. At least p,a,s,m wheel and power.
    Now the price of Pen F is coming down in Finland - 1099€ + for free Oly 25mm f1.8 I think I will pull the trigger (or push the button) and get one.
    This thread was very infomative.

7. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Pen F also generate beautiful Black and White. Suggest to try before buy @SkiHound@SkiHound and try monochrome profile 2. Some example :

36511667571_249622d1f0_c.

35346083546_958fd0fc76_c.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
  8. Quadna71

Quadna71 Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2016
    You started this with, "Given the current sale..." Where is this sale and how low is it discounted?

9. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I'm talking about the trade in trade up offer. $300 off + what places will offer for whatever you trade in. I'm sure you could sell equipment for more than places like B&H or Adorama will offer. I'm not sure you actually have to trade anything in. So $899 and $1699 for the Pen-F and E-M1ii, respectively. I wouldn't pay $1200 for the Pen-F, but $900 makes it considerably more appealing.

10. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Reza, those are lovely images. Amazing as out of camera jpegs.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. Quadna71

Quadna71 Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2016
    Thanks skihound. I thought maybe you were seeing a straight discount on one of the big camera sales sites or somewhere at Olympus itself. I did send in my old gear specs last week for trade-in reimbursement pricing and was sorely disappointed with how little it would net. Probably my sentimental expectations more than anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Where did you send it Quadna? I think you'll always do better financially selling privately. B&H, Adorama, and the like are going to market the camera, add some kind of return period and warranty, etc. They are assuming a certain amount of risk and headache. So it's kind of a lowball offer.

13. Quadna71

Quadna71 Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2016
    I just navigated through the process from Olympus' website, entered in my 2 fairly new p&s Canon cameras that I was interested in trading in, and then a day later received an email from "usedprophoto.com" with a combined reimbursement price of $42 for both Canon cameras. The included code does give me the $300 discount on the Pen F or the E-M1markii, and then gives me a link to print an RMS sheet for sending off the 2 cameras in order to receive the $42. Makes me wonder if I could've entered a 3rd cheaper p&s camera instead and then still received the $300 discount? After all, I guess it's not about how much you get back but rather the discount going forward. But I was still surprised at how low the amount was.

14. Quadna71

Quadna71 Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2016
    FWIW, I did also enter a submission for trading in my e-m10ii but haven't yet received the email quote. But while I'm interested in getting a Pen F, there's still hesitation to trading the e-m10ii in as I do like shooting with it a lot and feel I'd be happier having it as a companion to the Pen F.

15. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I really like the 10ii as well and wonder if I'm just being foolish. I just sort of sense that options for "upgrading" the E-M10ii a going to disappear. The 10iii removes some stuff actually removes stuff that would detract considerably. And it didn't upgrade the sensor. So it's of 0 interest to me. E-M5iii won't be available for some time and my guess is that I'll see it more as an E-M1i replacement. My guess is that it'll grow a little and will be $1300+ at release. The Pen-F seems like the only viable upgrade option for a small bodied Olympus. I just really think the Pen-F is handsome but I'm not sure that in real world use it would actually be that much of an upgrade to the E-M10ii. I've never tried to sell used gear to Olympus and I suspect they may be more rigorous about actually trading something in. Not so sure you have to consummate the actual trade with B&H or Adorama. I'm also not sure you don't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Quadna71

Quadna71 Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2016
    That last sentence cracks me up! :) Yes, I didn't see where there was any direction correlation to cashing in the code for the $300 discount and where they verify that you indeed send in the other equipment to the other site. Nor what repercussions occur if you renegotiate on your end...

I agree with you on the above points too. When I look at upgrading, I seem to put plenty of key features up high in my mind but then can easily discard them. I tell myself that my m10mii doesn't have weather resistance so that would be a good upgrade. And then when I see that the pen f doesn't either, I'm quick to remind myself that the lack of weatherproofing hasn't actually limited my use of the m10mii. And then can replace weatherproofing with megapixels...and the same result. So a gut check says this may be a validated case of G.A.S.

At this point my 3 biggest roadblocks to purchasing the pen f are price, latest firmware issues, and the tendency to have the screen black out too easily due to the location of the proximity sensor.

17. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    Pricewise: it has the latest sensor and IBIS, and that alone makes it stand out above the rest, together with the E-M1 II. That would still come at a premium right now. Although I only had the e-M5 II for 8 months or so, I traded it in regardless, and gave my E-M10 to someone who would appreciate and use it. IMO, it was worth the upgrade, both :).

The latest firmware issues have been fixed with the last upgrade.

As to the screen blacking out too easily - I do not seem to have that problem. Are you a left-eyed EVF user?

Kind regards, Wim

18. Quadna71

Quadna71 Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2016
    There are still plenty of folks (even on here that are posting about it) that are still having it lock up even after the latest firmware install. Only now instead of having to remove the battery they can shut it off and then turn it back on to unlock it.

No, I'm right eye dominant.

19. Quadna71

Quadna71 Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2016
    Oh, and to my comment about the price. I wasn't in any way implying that it's overpriced - I can appreciate the feature set that comes with the pen f. Rather I'm not sure I can afford it hence my initial questions about a sale I wasn't aware of.

20. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    With regard to the original question, i feel that my PenF isnt quite as snappy or definitive in SAF as my Em1 was. However, its impossible to be certain, its just gut feel. Either way, its more than good enough.