Pen F questions from a new owner...

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Hi everyone...I just picked up a Pen F to play with and loving it! But...I have questions, so I figured I'd start a thread for them.

First off...I have programmed a button to be a "Home Position" button for the AF point. Then I set it up for the small square AF point. However...if I select a different AF point, then hit my Fn button to return to HP, it turns it into a big square. Why? Is there any way to stop this?

Secondly...on my old E-M5 (original), I had it set up so that if I didn't have my eye to the viewfinder NOTHING was on...once I put my eye up to the EVF, then it turned on. I can't seem to replicate this with either my 5.3 or the Pen F. Is there such a setting? (It seems that the only setting is the screen is on and switches to the EVF when I put my eye up to it. Is there any way to have it set up like the E-M5? (I know I could just turn the screen inside, but the previous owner put a screen protector on it that's too thick for it to properly fold and I just don't feel like monkeying with that right now).

Thirdly...small thing...but is there a way to set this camera up to show the menu in the EVF? Doesn't seem to be working for me.

Thanks!!! :D

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
A quick answer to Q3. Fold in the screen, put your eye to the EVF, press the Menu button.

I don't have time to explore Q2, but I think once you remove that stupid screen protector and put on a normal one your problems will be easier to solve.

I like to use mine with the screen folded in most of the time except when looking at photos, using the menu or holding the camera away from me.

Real Name
Phill
Hi, nice to hear you are enjoying your Pen-F!

Question 1:
Go to the menu, select Custom Menu (the cogwheels), go to menu A (AF/MF) and scroll down. You'll find a setting for "AF Home". Here you can select what and where "AF Home" should be when you're pressing the assigned button. Hit right, select the AF area (in your case single-point S), move the point where you'd like to have it, press Ok and press Ok again. I just tried it, it only works if you hit Ok twice. Should you just select the home point, hit Ok once and leave the menu, the camera doesn't save the position. Keep in mind you'll have to repeat this step for C1-C4 if you are using the C-Modes and reassign the changes in Shooting Menu 1 after making the changes to the desired C-Mode.

Question 2:
Most likely he installed a tempered glass screenprotector, these are way too thick. A very thin, traditional plastic protector is barely the most possible if you want to use the screen folded in. I'd just remove the protector, they come off easily and usually leave no residues behind. I don't know if it is possible setting it up like this, in my opinion the eye-sensor is too unreliable in bright sunlight anyways, so I disabled it completely instead of bothering with the consequences. However I think it is not possible anymore to set an Olympus camera to only have active displays when the sensor responds.
On my first Pen-F, I'm using a slightly thicker plastic protector, the screen folds in just ok, it interferes slightly. On my second Pen-F, I still have the factory applied protection on and the screen folds in nicely.

Question 3:
As growltiger said, if you fold in the rear screen, everything is done via the EVF. Since a couple of months, that's how I am using my Pen-F(s), the benefit: deploying the fully-articulated screen is quicker this way, just fold it out and it's in position. No 180° rotation needed anymore. I am not sure if you can set the camera to display the menu through the EVF, when it is active and since I'm about to head off to work, I also unfortunately don't have the time to browse the menus, maybe somebody else can chime in.

Last edited:

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
Secondly...on my old E-M5 (original), I had it set up so that if I didn't have my eye to the viewfinder NOTHING was on...once I put my eye up to the EVF, then it turned on. I can't seem to replicate this with either my 5.3 or the Pen F. Is there such a setting? (It seems that the only setting is the screen is on and switches to the EVF when I put my eye up to it. Is there any way to have it set up like the E-M5? (I know I could just turn the screen inside, but the previous owner put a screen protector on it that's too thick for it to properly fold and I just don't feel like monkeying with that right now).

I recall this issue when moving on from my E-M5 I (and E-M1 I) to subsequent versions. There is no facility for having the screen facing out and turning it off. In fact, I have come to prefer the articulated screen rotated in. The camera stays fully functional with menu access through the EVF.

Last edited:

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
A quick answer to Q3. Fold in the screen, put your eye to the EVF, press the Menu button.

I don't have time to explore Q2, but I think once you remove that stupid screen protector and put on a normal one your problems will be easier to solve.

I like to use mine with the screen folded in most of the time except when looking at photos, using the menu or holding the camera away from me.

Thanks! That's what I do with my E-M5.3. I guess I'll have to carefully remove that protector...I'm just worried about damaging the screen in the process. (I do love the textured look of the rear screen folded in!)
Hi, nice to hear you are enjoying your Pen-F!

Question 1:
Go to the menu, select Custom Menu (the cogwheels), go to menu A (AF/MF) and scroll down. You'll find a setting for "AF Home". Here you can select what and where "AF Home" should be when you're pressing the assigned button. Hit right, select the AF area (in your case single-point S), move the point where you'd like to have it, press Ok and press Ok again. I just tried it, it only works if you hit Ok twice. Should you just select the home point, hit Ok once and leave the menu, the camera doesn't save the position. Keep in mind you'll have to repeat this step for C1-C4 if you are using the C-Modes and reassign the changes in Shooting Menu 1 after making the changes to the desired C-Mode.

Question 2:
Most likely he installed a tempered glass screenprotector, these are way too thick. A very thin, traditional plastic protector is barely the most possible if you want to use the screen folded in. I'd just remove the protector, they come off easily and usually leave no residues behind. I don't know if it is possible setting it up like this, in my opinion the eye-sensor is too unreliable in bright sunlight anyways, so I disabled it completely instead of bothering with the consequences. However I think it is not possible anymore to set an Olympus camera to only have active displays when the sensor responds.
On my first Pen-F, I'm using a slightly thicker plastic protector, the screen folds in just ok, it interferes slightly. On my second Pen-F, I still have the factory applied protection on and the screen folds in nicely.

Question 3:
As growltiger said, if you fold in the rear screen, everything is done via the EVF. Since a couple of months, that's how I am using my Pen-F(s), the benefit: deploying the fully-articulated screen is quicker this way, just fold it out and it's in position. No 180° rotation needed anymore. I am not sure if you can set the camera to display the menu through the EVF, when it is active and since I'm about to head off to work, I also unfortunately don't have the time to browse the menus, maybe somebody else can chime in.

Thank you very much for spending the time to answer my questions! You're right...I only hit OK once, and it didn't save my HP setting. Hit it twice...all good now. Much appreciated!!!

It sounds like that screen protector will have to come off...I've never taken one off, I'm worried about delaminating the screen in the process or something like that...is there a trick to making sure I don't mess up the screen?

Thanks again...have a great day! :D

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
I recall this issue when moving on from my E-M5 I (and E-M1 I) to subsequent versions. There is no facility for having the screen facing out and turning it off. In fact, I have come to prefer the articulated screen rotated in. The camera stays fully functional with menu access through the EVF.

Thank you! That's good to know...It's weird that some functions were fantastic on the original E-M5 and then they messed with it. I'll have to remove that protector, no doubt about it! :D

Drdul

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Richard
The screen protector should come off without difficulty. Start in a corner and carefully pull it away from the screen.

If you want to have a screen protector on the screen, you can get thin screen protectors that are thin enough that you can close the screen facing inwards. I bought this one from Amazon Germany, but it’s not available any more.

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Protector is off! It was 2 seconds haha. And now all those functions work!!! (Although it's annoying that you can't keep your eye to the EVF with the LCD facing out and hit the menu and have it show up in the EVF...why not Oly...whyyyyyy? haha...anyhoo...all good now!

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I recall this issue when moving on from my E-M5 I (and E-M1 I) to subsequent versions. There is no facility for having the screen facing out and turning it off.

The E-M1.1 doesn't have the option to turn the screen in since it is a tilting screen. However on my E-M1.1 I have mine set up to always keep the back LCD off unless I turn it on. Maybe it is different on models with articulating screens? I believe you set it up so the auto switching mode between EVF and LCD is OFF, then press and hold the
1605809242755.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

button (to the right of the viewfinder on the Pen F) to get a pop up menu to set which one you want to use. I am not at home with my camera to check if that is correct but it is something like that. However on my E-M1.1, when set up this way, the EVF is always on, it doesn't turn off when you remove your eye from the EVF.

(Although it's annoying that you can't keep your eye to the EVF with the LCD facing out and hit the menu and have it show up in the EVF

Again, don't have my E-M1.1 handy to check, but I think if you bring up a menu on the back LCD and then hit the
1605809242755.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

button, it might switch it from the back LCD to the EVF? Also, on my E-M1.1 when I hit the OK button to bring up the Super Control Panel, it defaults to my EVF, so I can do that without having to remove my eye from the EVF and make adjustments that way for the ones that appear in the SCP.

By the way, a quick tip on your original post about the AF point home position. When ever you hit an arrow key to bring up the grid to move the AF point around, on most if not all Olympus models if you press and hold the OK button, it will automatically center the AF point regardless of the Home position settings. So if you set home to be the center, you can use this trick instead and use the home position for something else (for example, placing the point horizontally centered but one third down from the top when shooting in portrait orientation so it is on a models face instead of their chest or neck).

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
The E-M1.1 doesn't have the option to turn the screen in since it is a tilting screen. However on my E-M1.1 I have mine set up to always keep the back LCD off unless I turn it on. Maybe it is different on models with articulating screens? I believe you set it up so the auto switching mode between EVF and LCD is OFF, then press and hold the
View attachment 858825
button (to the right of the viewfinder on the Pen F) to get a pop up menu to set which one you want to use. I am not at home with my camera to check if that is correct but it is something like that. However on my E-M1.1, when set up this way, the EVF is always on, it doesn't turn off when you remove your eye from the EVF.

Again, don't have my E-M1.1 handy to check, but I think if you bring up a menu on the back LCD and then hit the
View attachment 858825
button, it might switch it from the back LCD to the EVF? Also, on my E-M1.1 when I hit the OK button to bring up the Super Control Panel, it defaults to my EVF, so I can do that without having to remove my eye from the EVF and make adjustments that way for the ones that appear in the SCP.

By the way, a quick tip on your original post about the AF point home position. When ever you hit an arrow key to bring up the grid to move the AF point around, on most if not all Olympus models if you press and hold the OK button, it will automatically center the AF point regardless of the Home position settings. So if you set home to be the center, you can use this trick instead and use the home position for something else (for example, placing the point horizontally centered but one third down from the top when shooting in portrait orientation so it is on a models face instead of their chest or neck).
Sorry to have put you to the trouble with optimized (rather than precise and turgid) language. ;) Let me try again.
The E-M5 and E-M1 share the ability to darken the LCD (it never turns off, rather it sets all pixels to black - you can confirm this in a darkened room). This ability is not present in subsequent versions that share the articulated screen. They seem to truly turn the LCD off when the screen is turned in towards the body. The screen is activated upon deploying the screen. The |0| button then switches between SCP and monitor. The Menu button interrupts whichever function is currently enabled. Even so, I have learned to prefer having the screen turned in. That way I can still half-pretend I'm using an OM-1 or 2. :)

LowriderS10

Monkey with a camera.
Ahhhhh....I never thought that screen articulation was the culprit...interesting point. There's so much I love about the Pen F and the 5.3 that I'll let this one slide...

This is interesting. I bought a well used Pen F and I coming from the EM-5.2, I was surprised that the EVF didn't automagically engage when I had the LCD open. I have to use the button to make the switch. I figured the sensor was broken, but also figured I'd just live with it.

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
This is interesting. I bought a well used Pen F and I coming from the EM-5.2, I was surprised that the EVF didn't automagically engage when I had the LCD open. I have to use the button to make the switch. I figured the sensor was broken, but also figured I'd just live with it.
Is menu
Gear /J / EVF Auto Switch / Off?

Is menu
Gear /J / EVF Auto Switch / Off?
Thanks for the reply. I have it set to OFF.

Just changed it to ON, and the eye sensor still doesn't work, plus I don't get a live view on the back, just the super display menu. Now I remember why I had the EVF auto switched off. Obviously the eye sensor is borked and I've just been using the EVF switch next to the eye piece to flip back and forth. While I don't like having a feature broken, I honestly don't mind this one being gone. The eye auto sensor bugs me as much as helps me. I can live with using the push button.

Real Name
Phill
Honestly you aren't missing out much. The eye sensor on the Pen-F unfortunately seem to be plagued by a design flaw and is prone to failures especially in bright sunlight. Both of my Pen-Fs (one being a much newer production date than the original one) are suffering from this issue and I have disabled the eye sensor entirely. Sure, indoors or during overcast, moody days, it's no problem. However I rather have a consistent operating camera through all conditions rather one which I have to setup according to weather conditions.

Of course if you are a left eye shooter, those issues wouldn't exist for you - because you face would cast a shadow over the sensor anyways.

Drdul

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Richard
The eye sensor on the Pen-F unfortunately seem to be plagued by a design flaw and is prone to failures especially in bright sunlight.

Good point, with this dark, wet winter weather I had completely forgotten about this annoying “feature” of the Pen-F viewfInder. Bright sun coming in from behind over your right shoulder hits the viewfinder sensor and it turns off, even if your eye is pressed to the viewfinder. I learned to deal with it by sticking my right thumb straight up to block the sunlight.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom