1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pen F questions. Aperture mode and Creative Dial selection

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by twenty200, Aug 5, 2016.

1. twenty200

twenty200 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 20, 2015
    I own an EM1 and I'm primarily a black & white jpeg street photographer. I'm tempted to treat myself to a Pen F, but I have a few questions.

I'm confused about the Creative Dial on the front of the camera. According to the manual, when I select something on the Creative Dial, I can then use the front and rear dials to select options for that Creative Dial setting. But if I'm in Aperture priority mode, aren't the front and rear dials used to select Aperture? It seems confusing. Let's say I choose Monochrome 1 from the creative dial and change my aperture to 2.8... but then I decide to use Monochrome 2 instead. How do I get the front dial (or is it the rear dial?) to let me change the setting of the selected Creative Dial function? In other words, how do I chance from Monochrome 1 to Monochrome 2 when the front & rear dials are set to change the aperture?

ALSO: In Aperture Priority mode on my EM1, the front dial selects Exposure Compensation and the rear dial selects the Aperture value. Since the Pen F has a dedicated dial for Exposure Compensation... what does the other dial do when shooting in Aperture Priority mode?

One last question: How's the EVF on the Pen F for someone who wears glasses, especially in comparison to the EVF on an EM1?

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    Under the mode select dial (wrong name? where you choose aperture priority/shutter priority/manual etc...) there is a little flicky-switch (again, wrong name). When you flicky the switch it cycles between color filter and the shadow/highlight curve, and whilst these are displayed you use the dials normally used for changing aperture and shutter speed to make adjustments, and then once these are set and no longer in the display they revert back to shutter and aperture adjust.

I hope that helps,

Gareth

3. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    Sorry, I've just realized I misunderstood what you were asking about! To change the setting within the current creative mode you can do as I mentioned above, but to change from mono 1 to 2 for example I usually just press OK to bring up the super control panel and change it there, but I'm sure someone else can add to this and tell you how they go about doing it.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  4. saladin

saladin Mu-43 Veteran

May 29, 2015
    jason
    I have a question - with the Exp Comp dial i wouldnt need to assign that to the front dial. So in aperture priority, can the front dial be assigned ISO (rear dial i would keep as Aperture adjustment). Ive always liked that setup on my dSLR.

5. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    Yes you can definitely do that, I have changed them to do that myself. By default both dials change either aperture or shutter speed, depending on which priority mode you're in.