1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

pen f price competition

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oly.sol, Jan 15, 2016.

1. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    so the new fuji xe2s is 700 body, 1000 w/ a kit lens.
    pana. gx8 is a 1000 body, 1200 w/ a kit lens.
    oly pen f is rumored to cost between 1500-1800. the fuji xt1 is currently selling for less than that and is still an incredible camera for the money.

of course we don't yet know all of the specs, but it's hard to imagine it'll leap frog the gx8 but could certainly match and perhaps edge it out. here's the question: given the price point of the competition, do you think the pen f is competitively priced? i'm nto asking whether or not it's worth the price, but rather wis it attractively priced given the alternatives.

given how much a adore the pen line, i've got my fingers crossed that oly has realistic sales expectation.

2. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    that price range feels expensive to me. Like, really expensive.

I think the PEN line has been a bit of an underperformer for Oly. They haven't really been successful until they hit on the OM-D cameras and since then, the PENs have been kind of a back-burner item.

I think they've priced the PEN-F intentionally high to appeal to a niche audience. I haven't seen the price on the new X-Pro2 yet, but I think they're targeting that as their competition, not the lesser XE2S. Comparing the PEN to the GX8 is going to be a little funny without 4K video which feels like a miss to me, though Olympus might not feel it's important enough to get into. I don't think many people have the computer processing power and storage to deal with 4K video.

So yeah, initially expensive. I think the price will come down when they release the new EM1mkII later this year. Next year, we'll see the PEN-F for half its release price.

3. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    As interesting as the Pen-F looks there is no way I would pay that kind of money for it.

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I think the initial price will be aimed at the early adopters who will pay extra for the pleasure. By Black Friday we'll get some idea what the real price will be. The EM5II was released at 1100 USD but could be had new for as low as 799 during the holidays.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yes, if those pricing rumours are even vaguely true, I don't expect anyone will be paying more than $1000 for the body in less than a year's time.

6. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I try not to speculate, or pay much attention to speculation. When they announce it we will know the price. It's a good looking camera. Whether I choose to buy it or wait for an EM1-II who knows?

7. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    The policy of high price, high quality works, if done right. So maybe Olympus is trying to propose itself as a near luxury brand (for some items at least).
    Hi-res mode (handheld?), focus stacking, weather sealing, big EVF, really good materials, assembly, etc. C-AF? I doubt.

E-P5 was $1000 almost three years ago. There are already cheaper options: E-PL7 and E-M10. I think that to have a few premium models is a good idea.

Anyway many people do not look much at the specs, if they do they do not get it, etc. So does not really matter much if there is real value or not.
    I do not want to sound rude toward the average buyer, but I'm just like that in 90% of my purchases, where I just do not have a clue and maybe I skimmed a couple of reviews in the days before. It works like that.

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Is the X-E2s the direct competition, or is it the new X-PRO2? The X-Pro 2 is $1700 body only.

The X-E2s is a firmware update to the X-E2. You can reportedly get all the same features on an old X-E2 ($518 on ebay today, brand new from 6ave) with a new firmware update that is released next month. It would seem that is more of a GX7 and E-P5 competitor based on specs and age.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    If the high rumor price is true, we might see some higher-end features to proof its value.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    Since the E-P5 was $1000 w/o EVF I'm guessing it's going to be at least the $1099 that the EM5-II was introd at.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I hate to admit it, but Olympus and Panasonic made me into a cheap SOB with their refurbs and fire sales!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    1,500-1,800 would be a mistake...especially with older models going for a song (ie: E-M5 Mk I, E-M10 Mk I)...there are soooo many models of Oly/Pan bodies these days, that one or two are ALWAYS on a crazy sale because they're being replaced. Additionally, the OM-D and GX series have a dedicated following at a lower price point than that...it would be very difficult to convince someone to go for a PEN over the tried, true, and much-loved OM-D or GX series...especially when the latter are cheaper.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    If I had to guess, I'd say right around 900-1,000 for the body is what I'm expecting...with a couple hundred more for the body/lens kit.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I hope you are right, but the rumors say otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Kind of depends. If it is an E-M1 Mk2 technology test bed with some impressive hybrid AF and higher IQ Sony sensor with 4K, packed into a rangefinder body, I could see that RRP justified (but I never pay list price anyway, that's a different story).

• Like Like x 1
  16. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    LOL...you and me both. I came back to m43 because it was more affordable. I look at something like the Pen-F (nice as it is) and cannot imagine shelling out $1500 for it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thankfully rumours are often way off...I hope they are this time around. This model is supposed to revive PEN sales and make PEN a relevant sub-brand again...you don't do that by throwing out an overpriced body. I'm wondering if it's going to be weathersealed...

I'm really confused about this camera, by the way...the price and some of the leaked specs would suggest a serious move into the pro/semi-pro category...but the front dial is decidedly amateur-aimed...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    The is a painful (to the wallet) lesson I have learned since adopting m43

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    It's true for most systems, but I think M4/3 is getting worse and worse with the introductory price mark-up. The only time I ever bought a new/current/freshly released camera was when I bought my E-M5 nearly three years ago...I pretty much HAD to buy it (I was switching from a huge DSLR setup to mirrorless for travelling, and was decided on m4/3)...and never again will I do that! :D

20. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    If the rumours are true, the price point is set 20-30% too high. And they are making the same mistake as with the e-p5. Regardless of tech included.

• Agree Agree x 5