1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pen-F Press release out

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by heli-mech, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    E shutter now goes 20 frames per second.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Looks like they took it down so... (sorry for formatting on my tablet so had to do screen shots of a pdf print)

Screenshots_2016-01-26-19-22-53. Screenshots_2016-01-26-19-23-08. Screenshots_2016-01-26-19-23-24.

3. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Ming Thein uploaded his initial review tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Double ouch for Canada pricing. Sorry neighbors!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. tkbslc

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not much of a review. I find Ming one of the more boring photographers on the net. He seems to appeal to the technically oriented and not the artistic photographer. He just seemed to nitpick all the little details. I'll wait for Robin Wong to give his assessment and show the potential of the camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
  8. tkbslc

Well at least it looks a lot nicer in official pictures! I actually kind of like the looks now.

I like the official man-purse bag, too.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I like it! Looks classy in black, and I usually like silver bodies. Man this will be nice with some small primes and pancake lenses. Also Olympus is adding their own version of film presets like Fuji, hence the dedicated front dial. What I don't get is people complain about a slight jpeg bias with the Pen-F, but everyone goes gaga for Fuji jpegs! I don't get it?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I for one really like Ming's photography and process. Though it can definitely come across as overly technical, after spending so much time looking at his images I see the art in his work. His color and tone work has a biting clarity I don't see elsewhere, and his compositions often manage complex arrangements that feel simple. His reportage and cinematic photography is particularly awesome. Here's a recent example: thaipusam 2016

As for the review, my impression is that Ming isn't very excited by the camera, can't fully evaluate image quality because Adobe doesn't support the files yet, but is reminded of the great speed and efficiency of operating a modern Olympus camera. He's lately been shooting mostly Nikon DSLR and Sony A7Rii, the latter for which he's opined about sluggish operation. Compared to these, the Pen-F must feel like a go-kart.

As for sweating all the "little" details, I contend two points: (1) A quibble about a little detail is not condemnation, and I don't mind the nitpicking; the vast, vast majority of things I'd want to change on my cameras amount to little detail quibbles, but I love my cameras. And (2), the "little" details are what separate a Porsche 911 from a Corvette. The Corvette has more horsepower. The Corvette will set faster lap times. The Corvette costs half as much. But the little details -- the way controls fall to hand, the way seats hold the driver in place, the logic behind the operation of the dash, the communication of road texture through the steering wheel -- suggest priorities apart from pure performance, and for people who've experienced performance enough to know it isn't everything, these little details become the goal. I had zero interest in the Leica Q, but reading Ming's description of the little details left me wanting in a way I don't feel for the Sony A7Rii or any other Leica. (I still have zero budget for the Leica Q.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    He was comparing the Pen F EVF to the EVF in the $7450 Leica SL! To me that's nitpicking. I also don't find his photos all that engaging, his technical composition is nice, but I just don't feel his samples have any passion.

Plus he tested the high res mode shooting his tape collection. Seriously, Olympus offers a method to shoot high res imagery and he brushes it off as a cheap parlor trick. The Pen F can potentially shoot 80mp raw files.

I'll wait for a more engaging review. :wink:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    Taking currency conversion into account, it sells cheaper than in the US.

13. lightning

lightning Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Kerava, Finland
    Very very attractive and good looking camera! I simply love how it looks. No PDAF? That is a little letdown, unless its AF is more like Panasonic's which are super fast without PDAF. This will cost around 1200euros body only, for this price GX8 is a more attractive option, GX8 has (presumably) better and faster AF, better grip, much better video but is as good as this for stills. GX8 body only price in Finland today is under 1000e. Although its a little bigger and all don't prefer how it looks.