1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PEN-F Monochrome Photos

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by AlexH, Feb 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    Hey everyone, this is my second day with the PEN-F, and I've been loving it thus far. I'm an avid RAW shooter, but I wanted to see how the PEN-F monochrome profiles worked. I fell in love with profile 2. The shots in this post were all shot using that profile. JPG, obviously, with no editing (except for a minor straighten here or there). Some of the shots in the series are grain free, but most of them I set the grain to medium. Some people might not like the grainy look, but I like it in certain situations, and virtually all of them are high contrast black and white situations. I just wanted to give fellow black and white lovers an idea of what this camera produces. Enjoy!

25144629362_8098e82c3c_c.jpg The potter by Alex X, on Flickr

25144627702_a42f33886f_c.jpg The potter by Alex X, on Flickr

25169741331_1579abb012_c.jpg The potter by Alex X, on Flickr

25169737051_f249e5c774_c.jpg The potter by Alex X, on Flickr

More shots to come on my Flickr page and Instagram

• Like Like x 46
    • Winner Winner x 14
  2. Mister Summar

Mister Summar Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2015
    These are wonderful! What lens or lenses did you use?

3. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    Thank you for sharing. Very nice shots! I like your composition of these as well as your other work. I really like the tone/contrast and where there is grain it isn't distracting to me (at least at web sizes).

Have you played with profile 1 and/or started to make any custom profile yet?

Would also love to see a comparison/your thoughts on standard color vs some of the color profiles, if you would.

In general, how are you finding the handling of the camera so far? ... viewfinder compared to your E-M1 , general grip/handling, placement of the color selector knob, etc.?

4. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    Thanks! They were all shot with the Olympus 25mm f/1.8, probably at f/1.8 or f/2. Great little lens.

Thank you! I haven't played with profile 1 yet, but I intend to do so soon. I do plan to explore the color profiles (as well as monochrome 1 and 3), and write up a little mini-review on my blog. I'll either post a link in this thread or just post the mini-review here. I feel like I need a little more time to really compare profiles and see where my tastes are.

As far as initial thoughts on handling, I like it. The grip is not as ergonomic as an E-M1, and no one expects it to be, but it's actually quite nice in the hand. There's a nice groove on the back for your thumb, and it makes it enjoyable to shoot. I like the feeling in my hand better than my Fuji X-E1. The viewfinder is nice, but I'm not picky about viewfinders in general. I shoot about 50/50 viewfinder and LCD. The knobs, dials, and button placement is very clean, logical, and easy to use. My only slight quibble is the locking button on the mode dial is plasticky. That's the only part of the entire camera that feels less than premium. Otherwise, it feels like a baby Leica, or, maybe a better comparison, a baby X-Pro.

• Like Like x 2
  5. donlaw

donlaw Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2011
    Texas
    Don Lawrence
    Just curious, could you be a bit more specific about why you feel the camera does seem premium?
    Thanks

6. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    These look great! I hope Olympus includes some of these options in future firmware updates for EM5II :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Prahasaurus

Prahasaurus Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2016
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Really nice pics, thanks. Glad you are having fun with the new Pen-F!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. AlexH

AlexH Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Arkansas, U.S.
    Sure. No visible screws, nice styling, and solid build quality. It feels weighty in the hand without being heavy. The buttons and dials are also premium feeling, made from mostly metal (which is why the plastic lock on the mode dial felt less than premium contrasted against metal). The leather (or faux leather) wrap feels very premium. I could go on, but that should give you an idea.

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    We had a guy on the old Pentax Discussion Mailing List that used to skin old camera like the MX and LX. Alligator, snake, etc. Maybe we could start a how-to thread for Pen F owners.

10. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    Interesting you say that. I was thinking the same when I saw that new E-M10ii limited edition... made me think I would love to see this camera wrapped in real leather... with a little Pen grip added.... that would be premium styling!

• Like Like x 1
  11. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    On the Pen-F is it possible to setup something like an art filter bracket to shoot a color JPG and then monochrome 2?

12. HalPAnderson

HalPAnderson Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
    I don't think so, although if you have the camera set to raw (and things work as they do in the E-M1), shooting Monochrome 2, will give you a coloured raw and the monochrome JPEG.

13. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Thanks. just curious to what extent that kind of mode could go. RAW + mono 2 would be the sensible way to go.

14. HalPAnderson

HalPAnderson Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
    I agree. Converting the raw file to B&W gives you complete control over what colours get mapped to which shades of grey. The monochrome JPEGs have their relative tones baked in by the camera, which may or may not work the way you want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    First off I love watching a skilled worker at their craft. Something peaceful and down to earth about it. Secondly I much prefer seeing it in B&W as color just distracts from the small details. While I now shoot in color and convert to B&W, in the film days I shot about 75% in B&W and only did vacation/tourist shots in Kodachrome 64. Thanks for sharing these images.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Nice work, Alex. And this should turn out to be a great thread.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Great shots. I have to admit... initially I thought that the in camera filters were not something I would be interested in, but the ability to get a nice look that is consistent across all my shots right out of the camera is beginning to have some appeal.

18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    These look great and are a great alternative to the highly touted Fuji jpegs! In fact I don't know why Fuji gets praised for their jpegs and then of all people, M43 users knock the Pen-F for being an awesome jpeg camera with a dedicated dial! Go figure.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    I have to agree. I love the Fuji styles and have no issue to shoot Raw+JPG if I can get creative out of the camera with no work and still play with an original if need be... I just want to take pics and be lazy.

I would love to see a Fuji - PenF side-by-side JPG stylized comparison ... I'm hoping someone here who has Fuji will pick up a Pen-F at some point and indulge our curiosities!

• Like Like x 1
  20. danelkins

danelkins Mu-43 Veteran

Nice set, thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1