Pen-F, how to use rear dial for ISO, front dial for aperture?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dmcgrew, Feb 13, 2016.

1. dmcgrew

dmcgrew Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    I currently have the dial functions on my pen-f set to ISO for the rear dial and F number for the top/front dial.

When I'm in A mode if I turn the rear dial it changes the ISO (awesome) but when I move the front dial immediately after moving the rear dial it also changes the ISO. In order for the front dial to change the aperture again I need to press the shutter button to focus and then I can change aperture with the front dial. Basically it's impossible to change ISO and aperture at the same time.

However, when I'm in any of the custom modes the rear dial and front dial can both be used at the same time to change ISO and aperture. This is what I'd like to have happen in A mode. Is there a setting that I can change to make this happen?

2. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
  3. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    OT: I'm confused - PEN-F? Could you please post an image of your camera? How come you have a PEN-F? It's not out yet ...

M.

4. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Yes people already have them

5. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I know that some review samples are out there, but I don't think we're talking about such a case here - but of course, I may be wrong, that's why I'm asking. The camera is still on pre-order throughout the world for all the rest of us ...

My comment isn't meant to run down the OP - I just want to know what we're really talking about. The link to the manual should solve any problem with the actual camera ...

M.

• Like Like x 1
  6. marlof

marlof Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Matt, the Pen-F is commercially available in some regions (US; Australia) but not yet in Europe. We have to wait a little longer.

7. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Okay, I'll rest my case, then.

M.

8. dmcgrew

dmcgrew Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2016
  9. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Well honestly as you have described it, it sounds like a firmware bug, but that would be a pretty big one for others not to have noticed yet.

10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    If you turn the camera off and then back on, does it do the same thing?
    Remove your lens and then replace it. Not fixed try -
    Try removing your battery and let it sit for minute, reinstall, then try again.
    If that does not work, reset all camera settings.

11. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, is Auto-ISO possibly enabled?

12. dmcgrew

dmcgrew Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    It is, but shutting it off had no effect :(

13. dmcgrew

dmcgrew Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2016
    I ended up emailing Olympus support about this. This is what they said...

It does not work the same in the Custom Setting mode C1 because this is not a mode the accepts custom dial settings.

Not sure why the C modes wouldn't accept custom dial settings. Still a bug IMO.

14. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Umm...
    The E-M1 has a limitation where mysets can't manage button assignments IF you assign them to a dial.
    I hope this isn't a similar limitation.

Barry

15. D MATIC

D MATIC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 18, 2012
    Sorry to hijack this thread but how do you enable ISO to a dial like this? I just got an EM10II and I've been trying to figure this out. I want the front dial for aperture and rear dial for ISO at the same time with out having to press a fn button. Is this a PEN-F feature?

16. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Reading this again, I think this is the opposite of the E-M1 problem...
    The E-M1 can't change some things when customizing the mode dial.
    The Pen-F can't change some things when NOT using the custom mode dial positions.

@dmcgrew, I guess the solution would be to dedicate one of the custom positions to your desired 'A' mode settings.

Barry