PEN F Hints and Tips

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mark
Anyone using a half case they are really happy with? Looking for suggestions. Thanks
I picked up a used Gariz half case on my E-P5 and loved it, and looked at one for my PEN-F and they are very proud of it price wise. I purchased a used Olympus body jacket (selling it in the forums) for it and it was ok, but really like the one I picked up on eBay (below)..

I do like the look of this case, but don't want the strap..
Olympus Pen-F Half Case + strap [Italian COW Leather] (Handpainted vintage brown)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

SatyaR

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Satya
My Silver Pen-F one is arriving on Monday :dance:. I now realize that the Silver is not a real metal finish- but liking the homage to the classic silver Film Cameras.

Last edited:

Jeffcs

Mu-43 All-Pro
My Silver Pen-F one is arriving on Monday :dance:. I now realize that the Silver is not a real metal finish- but liking the homage to the classic silver Film Cameras.
I hope you enjoy as much as I enjoy mine it's fun shooting with the penf I know this is odd but makes me almost feel as though I'm shooting film through my Leica of old days gone by

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
Anyone using a half case they are really happy with? Looking for suggestions. Thanks
I'm using the cheap chinese half case that i bought from ebay for USD 20-25. Happy? of course! It's support the grip, protect the bottom from scratch and makes my Pen F more beautiful :biggrin:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I'm using the cheap chinese half case that i bought from ebay for USD 20-25. Happy? of course! It's support the grip, protect the bottom from scratch and makes my Pen F more beautiful :biggrin:

View attachment 584032
I have one of these too. It's excellent for the price. It stops the bottom plate getting scratched and adds useful extra grip at the front. An essential accessory IMHO.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
The penF is a magnesium alloy body and it is finished in black or silver
Yes, and the top/bottom plates are metal. However, the top plate is painted, whatever the colour. The silver paint looks great, but I have a fear that it'll chip or wear down at some point in the future. In retrospect I wish I'd gone for the black finish for this reason.

Jeffcs

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes, and the top/bottom plates are metal. However, the top plate is painted, whatever the colour. The silver paint looks great, but I have a fear that it'll chip or wear down at some point in the future. In retrospect I wish I'd gone for the black finish for this reason.
Have you ever worn down the finish ( black) on a pre digital camera and have the brass show through, it's kind-a meet looking

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Have you ever worn down the finish ( black) on a pre digital camera and have the brass show through, it's kind-a meet looking
Yes, I know what you mean - but underneath the PenF's silver paint there's black undercoat before you hit metal - which of course is then just another silver colour. That's why I'd have preferred black. Brassing of the black back to metal does have a certain "look", but not silver paint wearing to black undercoat!

Jeffcs

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes, I know what you mean - but underneath the PenF's silver paint there's black undercoat before you hit metal - which of course is then just another silver colour. That's why I'd have preferred black. Brassing of the black back to metal does have a certain "look", but not silver paint wearing to black undercoat!
That's interesting I must have missed the black under coatings when I read the building process of the Pen-F I knew it wasn't brass but black no idea so is the black finish over top of black under coating as well
BTW the black Pen-F is kinda sexy

Atom Ant

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Adam
Is anyone willing to take one for the team by deliberately wearing the coatings down to the base metal them posting some images? Just curious as to what a worn out Pen F looks like.
:hiding:

Despite regular use, the silver on my Pen still looks unblemished.

Jeffcs

Mu-43 All-Pro
Is anyone willing to take one for the team by deliberately wearing the coatings down to the base metal them posting some images? Just curious as to what a worn out Pen F looks like.
:hiding:

Despite regular use, the silver on my Pen still looks unblemished.
Be my guest we'll wait for your "worn" photos post

Atom Ant

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Adam
Be my guest we'll wait for your "worn" photos post
Sorry, I'm not that good a team player.

I've just had a close examination of my Pen F and my first impression was correct - as above, it is still unblemished. Maybe I need to stop carrying it in my hand and start carrying it in a bag so it rubs each time I put it in or out.

decades

Mu-43 Regular
Sorry, I'm not that good a team player.

I've just had a close examination of my Pen F and my first impression was correct - as above, it is still unblemished. Maybe I need to stop carrying it in my hand and start carrying it in a bag so it rubs each time I put it in or out.
I'm doing my best to put mine through hell. As soon as I have something worth sharing, I'll post.

My OM-D EM10 got a nice deep diagonal scar right across the top, from front, over the record button, to the back while travelling around Japan. But the EM10 has a pathetically weak plastic body, so the Pen-F might take a more abuse :laugh1:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom