1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Pen F fw2.0 bugs

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by nickthetasmaniac, Jul 12, 2018.

1. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Hi all,

So, I recently recieved my brand new Pen F and it's wonderful and fantastic and so on... However, it also came pre-loaded with firmware 2.0.

I've been having issues with it freezing and only functioning again after removing and reinserting the battery. This has happened perhaps 10 times now during a week's use, and seems to be possibly related to opening and closing the rear LCD (or I could be imaging that).

Now, google tells me this topic has been covered to death, but all the discussion I can find is from mid-2017. Has there been a fix in the 12 months since? Fw2.0 appears to still be current...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Nick

2. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Actually I may have solved this myself.

Apparently fw3.0 exists (I got a bit muddled on the Olympus Aus website...).

Does 3.0 make everything work as it should?

3. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    Yes, it should.

Kind regards, Wim

• Like Like x 1
  4. I had the same problem but it disappeared when I updated the firmware.

• Like Like x 1
  5. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    Ok, thank you both. I'll give 3.0 a go

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I had issues with 2.0. Even going to 2.1 didn't fix it. I had to downgrade to the last 1.x version, then go directly to the 2.1 version. A pain in the backside, but hey....it worked. Hopefully going to 3.0 will fix it up.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2012
    I have 3. No problem but never noticed one before.

8. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
    Only bug in 3.0 on the Pen-F has something to do with the recent addition of Bleach II and shooting a movie. I think it dropped out too soon or something with the new Bleach II filter. Rob Trek posted something about it on here and mine did the same thing. Olympus is aware of it too.

9. nickthetasmaniac

Jan 11, 2011
    I have heard about that one, but luckily I don't use filters and rarely shoot videos :) 

10. ph.

ph. Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2010
    norway
    A persistent problem with using the otherwise excellent Pen-F with longer manual optics, is that there is no way to either totally disable the control wheel or to permanently fix the light measuring and focussing frame in the middle. Gripping the camera will easily shift the little green frame.

Yes there are myriads of buttons plus touch-screen operations to reposition the frame while your motive moves out of focus but it would be even easier if there was a disable mode in the menu. Not a monumentally difficult task to fix? The alternative of course is superglue.

Looking forward to FW version 4.

p.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.