1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Pen F focus point problem - help needed!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BlueDevil, Jul 7, 2016.

1. BlueDevil

BlueDevil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Australia
    The focus point on my Pen F shifts on a very frequent (and very annoying) basis. I set the green focus square in the centre of the grid but in no time it shifts seemingly randomly to a different position. I am traveling at present and taking lots of photos and have mucked up or missed a number of shots because of this.

The camera is set to S-AF. In the menu I have gone to the AF/MF menu and gone to 'Set Home" (ie choose the home position of the AF target) but nothing seems to help. There is probably something simple I am missing so hoping someone can help. I just want the green square target point to remain in the centre all the time, unless I choose otherwise!

2. BlueDevil

BlueDevil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Australia
    So I gather there is no one on here that can help with this problem?

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

AFAIK you can't lock the AF point, the D-pad will always be able to move the AF point so an accidental press will change it.

4. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Nose?

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I agree with the "nosers". You're moving the AF point by inadvertently touching the touch-screen LCD. Near the bottom left of the screen is a box with a tiny pointing hand in it. Press the button a couple of times until the "no hand" symbol appears. Now touching the screen has no effect on the AF point. I couldn't find any way to turn off the the ability to move the point with the four-way switch. You could always turn the screen facing in.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  6. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    I had the same problem over the last few days. My camping trip was well and @#$% up by this issue.
    I spent every minute trying to fix, run my batteries flat trying to do so.

It`s definitely just changes randomly, yeah. And if you have the LCD screen open and try using the
    EVF then touch your nose to the screen the grid pops ups.

The fix is very easy and I can`t believe how long it took me to find.

Setting A - scroll down - AF targeting pad, set this to off.

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. Stickee

Stickee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2016
    Toronto, ON
    I've been doing this mostly as well - I feel like it saves battery a bit too. I usually keep focus point in the middle and focus, recompose. Not ideal, but I guess it's an old bad habit. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. BlueDevil

BlueDevil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Australia
    Thanks to all who have replied, your help is much appreciated as this problem has been driving me nuts!!!

I too wondered if I was contacting the touch pad with my nose or some other part of my body, but turning the touch pad off didn't make any difference. The focus point really seems to move randomly and sometimes it shifts only seconds after I have reset it to the centre without me even having taken a photo. I was doing street photography in Singapore and missed many shots because of this - it was so frustrating.

I'm really hoping that the solution that monchan has posted will be the answer to my problem!! Fingers and toes crossed!! I have just adjusted the setting as you recommended and will now try it out. If this works then you may well have saved my sanity and also saved me from missing many great photo opportunities.

Will report back when I have tested it. Thanks heaps.

9. BlueDevil

BlueDevil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Australia
    So far so good. I've played with the camera several times today and the focus point hasn't shifted at any stage. It looks like monchan has come up with the answer. Forever grateful.

10. Philip Scott

Philip Scott Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA, USA
    So you were bumping the Dpad buttons then, not touching the screen with your nose or otherwise. Is that right?
    I just want to be sure I underage what your resulting and root cause were...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Mu-43 app

11. BlueDevil

BlueDevil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Australia
    As far as I thought I wasn't bumping anything and this was happening when I was shooting just with the LCD screen and not the EVF (with touch mode disabled on the screen). The focus point just seemed to randomly move around even when I was sure I wasn't touching anything. No matter how carefully I held the camera it still seemed to happen. I could take a couple of shots with the target centred, turn the camera off, then when I turned it on again a minute later it would have shifted to another spot.

Now that I know about the AF targeting pad (I was unaware of this until now - hadn't come across that bit in the manual) I will do some further experimentation and see if I can pin down the cause further. I wonder if somehow the sensor was getting shaded and the EVF was activating without me knowing and then I was accidentally touching the screen which resulted in the target shifting?

Since setting the AF targeting pad to off as monchan suggested it stays centred regardless of what I do which is a relief. Being able to double tap the screen to turn this feature on and off is handy.

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I would still think you must have been hitting the LCD somehow. The AF should not be moving randomly and if it is something is wrong. I keep forgetting to try this on my camera.

13. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    BlueDevil was right. And the exact same thing happened to me.
    The green focus box would move randomly all the time. LCD or EVF.
    Not sure about bluedevil, but for me if while using the EFV the focus box
    would move randomly, but if I touched the LCD with my nose, the AF area grid
    would pop up. Can`t think of a reason that happening.

Now I`ve discovered something else.
    With the AF targeting off, and then trying to do some live composite
    the AF targeting pad gets turned on again. Surely there must be some kind of
    bug here. Does anyone else have these problems or just me and blue devil?

I just tried it again, and the AF pad didn't turn on. but it did turn on again
    by itself...somehow???

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  14. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    Hey folks, I read through but maybe missed someone already mentioning this, but did you try turning face recognition off? It could be misinterpreting the scenes you are shooting to be have faces when there aren't any there (it's only software after all so doesn't know any better), or if you're street shooting it might actually be picking up faces of people wandering about when in your mind you're not wanting to focus on them.

15. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    Yeah I did it. Didn`t make a difference for me.

16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Just don't cut off your nose to spite your interface.