PEN-F EVF issues

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gtrent733, Mar 22, 2016.

1. gtrent733

gtrent733 New to Mu-43

May 30, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    PEN-F owners: has anyone experienced any issues with using the EVF? This last weekend I was shooting outdoors in bright sunlight on the beach. When I would put the EVF up to my eye sometimes the view would be black. I would have to try and re-position my eye to get it to show the image. Sometimes, no matter how I positioned my eye, the EVF just wouldn't come on. I would turn the camera off and then on to get the EVF to work or have to play with the FN2 button. This is the first time this has happened. Needless to say I was not happy. Missed a bunch a shots.

I used this camera to shoot a couple of indoor events shooting over 1,500 images with no problem so I know it functions okay under some circumstances but this bright sun outdoors issue is new. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

2. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Nothing I've experienced. My only problem has been "nosing" the focal point until I just turned the darned screen inward while shooting. I wonder if doing so tells the camera that I'm shooting "EVF-only" and so it wouldn't see the problem even if my camera has it.

3. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Most likely the sun was hitting the sensor beside the evf which will prevent it from detecting when your eye is close. Other cameras have that sensor within the eyecup which makes this less likely. A few reviewers have commented on this.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. gtrent733

gtrent733 New to Mu-43

May 30, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    @CarlB@CarlB I was wondering the same thing as I always have my screen turned inward yet I was having the problem. Thx.

5. gtrent733

gtrent733 New to Mu-43

May 30, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    @heli-mech@heli-mech I agree but no matter how I positioned my eye / head to trip the sensor it still would not cooperate with me. Using the screen in bright sunlight was a waste of time. I'll guess I'll have to play around with it some more. Thx!

6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Because the eye sensor is out of the eyecup area you might decide to turn off the auto sensing & just use the switch to change to EVF. A bit of a pain but at least reliable. I really don't think they thought that part of the design through sufficiently & maybe it would have been better keeping the sensor in the eyecup, but I guess they had their legitimate reasons though.

7. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Idea: Using temporary tacky-glue, place a small rubber grommet around the EVF eye-proximity sensors. Should become a nice hood to keep most of the side-light from reaching the sensors.