Votes: 0 0.0%
  • split evenly, but one or the other for any given shot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • raw + jpg almost always for any given shot

Votes: 19 46.3%

• Total voters

mfturner

Mu-43 Regular
Not sure how, but a couple of accidental clicks and it now thinks I voted, and I cannot figure out how to remove it.

I don't have a Pen-F, as much as I'd like one, I envy you folks with one.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
I shoot Raw + SF jpeg with the PenF. I've been using the "classic chrome" colour adjustments from the other thread quite a lot, so my jpeg use is increasing.

I actually think the Pen-F is perfectly suited to jpeg use. It's a beautiful, fun, camera.

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
Both, always - LF + Raw. Partly because I'm too lazy to think about raw vs. jpg when I'm out shooting (and know I'd forget to restore the camera to a desired mode when it really counted), but mostly to have a good jpg that doesn't fall apart when chimping at 14x.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Always raw. There's nothing I can do in camera that I can't do in PP - but if I shoot JPEG, there are lots of things I can't do in PP that I could do if I'd taken raw. A no-brainer really!

I get that the JPEG modes can be fun, and that skipping PP has its appeal - but why buy an expensive camera if the absolute best IQ isn't the objective. In any case, I enjoy PP!

Erich_H

Mu-43 Regular
Always RAW + Jpeg SF. Not only on PEN.
On everything that can. My old Pentax K100D can't do both, so only PEF on that one.
Jpegs for quick use.
ORF for when jpegs aren't cutting it.

Thanks/Erik

Always raw. There's nothing I can do in camera that I can't do in PP - but if I shoot JPEG, there are lots of things I can't do in PP that I could do if I'd taken raw. A no-brainer really!

I get that the JPEG modes can be fun, and that skipping PP has its appeal - but why buy an expensive camera if the absolute best IQ isn't the objective. In any case, I enjoy PP!
Why buy a camera that can produce outstanding SOOC jpegs if you are never going to use them? /s

Different people do photography in different ways. The fact that these tiny computers have such broad options is amazing!

WT21

Super Moderator
Why buy a camera that can produce outstanding SOOC jpegs if you are never going to use them?
My new-to-me Pen-F is on it's way, and that's exactly my question, lol. I am more of a RAW shooter, but one of the reasons I got the pen-F was to play with jpg options (other reasons were size and 20MP sensor). Was wondering how folks who already have the Pen-F, use it. I guess as an enthusiast site, it makes sense that the majority are shooting raw, but I'll try some of the jpg tricks, probably doing raw+jpg (my G85 is raw only shooting)

WT21

Super Moderator
Maybe you're all better togs than me, but I can't easily see what effect I want until I have the images on the computer screen and the time to play. But as @TNcasual says, we're all different.
Not saying I can, lol. And the bulk of the responses are for RAW only, too. Just wondering about the jpg tricks.

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
I default to JPEG for my admittedly casual use of the Pen-F because my subject matter is family and kids. Ultimate image quality is not my goal like it would be for landscape, commercial portrait or product photography. I don’t enjoy the computer based post processing workflow ( Have DXO PL2) and find the JPEG has enough latitude for mobile app changes to satisfy my iPhone or iPad viewing needs.

I will add JPEG + RAW for those occasions like my daughter’s first birthday cake smash session in the park. Rare though.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
RAW + JPeg

I like the SOOC images, especially the monochrome stuff. I'm still learning both the monochrome and color setting, so it's nice to have the RAW files so I can bring them into the Olympus Workspace and play more if I want to later.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom