Pen F - Classic Chrome

decades

Mu-43 Regular
I think it's quite similar to it, with the mid-rich colour saturation and boosted contrast in light and shadow. My example of the sky above shows how it can be quite similar.

Here's an example I took in NY a couple weeks ago that show off the Kodachrome-like vibe in Colour Profile 2:

P6140041.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Drdul

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Richard
A while ago I did an experiment to compare a JPG from colour profile 2 with a RAW processed in Lightroom. I was surprised at how closely the two matched. The JPGs had more contrast than the un-adjusted RAWs, but with a couple of quick tweaks I was able to get the RAWs looking as good or better than the JPGs, and more importantly, the colours matched very well.

Try this in Lightroom. First, set the profile in the Camera Calibration panel to Camera Natural (or a different "Camera" profile if you prefer). BTW, you can make this the default profile by holding down the Option key so the button in the bottom right corner changes to Set Default. Do this on an image that has no other adjustments, or only adjustments that you want to set as default, such as checking the Remove CA box in the Lens Correction panel.

Next, go to the Basic panel and set Clarity to something like 15 or 20. Increase the shadows and/or decrease the highlights as needed (depends on the exposure). Then, Option-drag the white and black sliders to set the white and black points. Adjust the overall exposure as appropriate. Lastly, sharpen to taste. These adjustments take only 30 seconds or so to apply, and if you find you're using the same settings over and over, you can save them as a preset.

With these few adjustments I found that the adjusted RAW images matched their corresponding colour profile 2 JPGs quite well, and in some cases had more detail in the shadows. For me the exercise confirmed that I can continue to shoot in RAW only, although I am intrigued by the possibilities of the creative dial and plan to try some of the chrome "recipes" in this thread.

SS76

Mu-43 Regular
Which of these do you believe most closely resembled the Fuji Classic Chrome look you were after?

I've been trying to achieve the exact same thing for weeks now. The more I try to get it perfect, the more I stress about it, and the less I actually enjoy taking pictures. It's starting to feel a bit like a fool's errand.

I've tried to reframe the objective to be something like ... a colour profile with low saturation, high contrast, and deep blacks.

i've ended up with two profiles which I like very much, but aren't completely like Classic Chrome.

This version was inspired by a Mirrorlessons article I found, which I prefer more:

All colours -3
Except ...
Orange +1
Red +1
-5 on shadows

This is the other:

Yellow -1
Orange
Red -1
Pink -2
Magenta -3
Purple -3
Blue -2
Cyan -1
Green -3
Shadows -3
Midtones +1
Highlights +1

I'm trying to enjoy the simple pleasures of the Mono 2 and Colour 2, which seem to work some custom built magic. Think of them as our our system's answer to the sexy Fuji profiles.

If anyone else gets any closer, please leave a note!

SS76

Mu-43 Regular
I rented an Xt-2 to directly compare for a weekend. I did exactly as @GarethB noted and spent a lot of time shooting followed by days of madness at the computer.

I found it nearly impossible to get exact matches as I did not have the luxury of setting up any controlled testing.

The recipe I came up with is -2 across all colors with a -3,+1,-4 curves adjustment.

I also worked on trying to dial in Acros, Tri-X, Astia, Provia, pro neg hi and pro neg standard. Can share them if folks are interested in some starting points.

I'd be interested in your settings!

CWRailman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Denny
I am not sure if this will help with settings or not.
Fujifilm Simulations Explained

Despite this information, I am interested by how enamored some folks seem to be by the "Classic Chrome" simulation. I have experimented with shooting "Classic Chrome" on my Fuji cameras and I can say that IMHO it is nothing like Kodachrome. I shot Kodachrome 25 and 64 for about 30 years (I may have a roll or two of 64 still in the freezer) and when I compare those slides to this classic chrome simulation I fail to see any similarities with the possible exception of green saturation. Kodachrome was heavily biased towards reds and yellows compared to Ektachrome which was more blue green biased and better suited to shooting weddings and making the brides dress look stark white instead of the slight yellow tinge that Kodachrome produced. The "classic Chrome" simulation seems to be neutral with no bias in either direction.

Last edited:

decades

Mu-43 Regular
I'd be interested in your settings!

This is setting I have gone with ...

All colours -3
Except ...
Orange +1
Red +1
-5 on shadows

Inspired by this article.

I don't look at this as a Classic Chrome clone. I look at it as an Olympus profile that captures the spirit of Classic Chrome. Using the Pen-F, you'll never be able to get a complete match for the Fuji processing. However, the low saturation, high contrast, deep black recreates a lot of that "colour black and white for reportage" look that I love about Classic Chrome.

Two recent examples.

The first, is using the colour profile above:

P9170016.JPG

The second is standard Colour Profile 2, the high-contrast, more saturated setting that comes on all Pen-Fs :

P9170017.JPG

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
It kills me that Olympus didn't implement the color fine tuning in their other cameras. It's an awesome feature that can really reduce the amount of time one has to spend in post, assuming you nail the exposure in-camera.

I'd love to be able to adjust the colors for JPEG like you can on the Pen-F, but there are simply too many sacrifices for me to pick up a Pen-F to replace my E-M5 II, namely the price, EVF size, lack of weather sealing, and ergonomics.

SS76

Mu-43 Regular
Color profile 2 with tweaks

OIP00006.jpg

Color profile 1, with decreased saturation except for yellow.

OIP00011.jpg

BeingWolfy

New to Mu-43
It's on my list (not Fuji per se, but other film stocks) I found a source of newly shot and scanned high res photos of old stocks that include the same color checker I use.
Hi Yeti. Would you share where you found this source? Web url maybe? Thanks!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom