Pen F - Classic Chrome

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by shepx13, Jun 11, 2017.

1. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    I was curious how close any Pen F owners have gotten to the Kodachrome copy Classic Chrome from Fuji straight out of the camera. I know you can get pretty close when editing from the computer, but I try to get as close as I can out if camera when possible. Fuji's Classic Chrome is my favorite film present and I'd love to be able to get close from the Pen if I pick one up.

2. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    I am pretty sure you can get very very close to classic chrome with the PEN-F, since you have full control on saturation of all colors and tone curve. You just need to play with that till you find the "perfect" recipe.

3. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    Right, but I'm hoping to hear from some people who actually have done it, to hear what their experience has been.

4. AaronE

AaronE Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2013
    Idaho
    I am going to experiment with this. I am going to search on flicker for "fuji classic chrome" and see if I cannot take similar images with a similar look. I will report back with examples.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Qwntm

Qwntm Mu-43 Regular

Jan 26, 2017
    Edward
    Another way to go about it is see what people have to say about original Kodachrome and then dial in accordingly. I do remember the blacks were really black and I can picture what the colors looked like in my head, but I can't describe them. :)  I would think the color scene #2 on the front dial might be what they were going for maybe. I think #3 looks more like Velvia.

6. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    Have you had a chance to mess around with this?

7. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    I think what you'd ideally need would be to have a Pen-F in one hand and a Fuji X100F (or something else with Classic Chrome) in the other, point them both at the same thing and review the screen on the back of the Fuji. Then on the Pen-F tweak the curves and colour points to get it as close as possible side-by-side.
    Or better yet (so you're using the same screen), take a photo on a Fuji and put a SOOC Classic Chrome jpeg on one half of your screen and then Olympus Viewer with a Pen-F RAW of the same Scene on the other half and tweak the settings in there that are available on camera until it matches as close as you can get it (then post the settings here! :) )

8. shepx13

shepx13 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2012
    Tyler, TX
    Ken
    I may end up doing this if I can get a good deal on a Pen F refurb. I've already got the x100f.

9. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    Please report back with your 'recipe' if you can figure it out, the more I lookat the Fuji X100F and the classic chrome simulation, the more I want to get one!
    I can't afford one of course.

10. decades

decades Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2017
    London
    I've been trying to achieve the exact same thing for weeks now. The more I try to get it perfect, the more I stress about it, and the less I actually enjoy taking pictures. It's starting to feel a bit like a fool's errand.

I've tried to reframe the objective to be something like ... a colour profile with low saturation, high contrast, and deep blacks.

i've ended up with two profiles which I like very much, but aren't completely like Classic Chrome.

This version was inspired by a Mirrorlessons article I found, which I prefer more:

All colours -3
    Except ...
    Orange +1
    Red +1
    -5 on shadows

This is the other:

Yellow -1
    Orange
    Red -1
    Pink -2
    Magenta -3
    Purple -3
    Blue -2
    Cyan -1
    Green -3
    Shadows -3
    Midtones +1
    Highlights +1

I'm trying to enjoy the simple pleasures of the Mono 2 and Colour 2, which seem to work some custom built magic. Think of them as our our system's answer to the sexy Fuji profiles.

If anyone else gets any closer, please leave a note!

• Like Like x 2
  11. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
  12. damianmkv

damianmkv Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 7, 2014
    Surrey, England
    Post some photos and we'll see how they compare

13. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    This is the only one to hand from my test shots:
    OI000001.

• Like Like x 2
  14. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    I rented an Xt-2 to directly compare for a weekend. I did exactly as @GarethB@GarethB noted and spent a lot of time shooting followed by days of madness at the computer.

I found it nearly impossible to get exact matches as I did not have the luxury of setting up any controlled testing.

The recipe I came up with is -2 across all colors with a -3,+1,-4 curves adjustment.

I also worked on trying to dial in Acros, Tri-X, Astia, Provia, pro neg hi and pro neg standard. Can share them if folks are interested in some starting points.

15. decades

decades Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2017
    London
    That's a really lovely effect you've got going on there, @GarethB@GarethB. Well done.

For reference, these are images from this article that, for me, illustrate the magic of Fuji'sClassic Chrome:

01-100K1096.
    04-100K1034.
    03-100K0697.
    Despite being called "Classic Chrome," it's not really that much like Kodachrome at all. It's very much it's own look. As if they took the essence of Kodachrome, that sort of dreamy look, and updated it for our modern age.

16. decades

decades Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2017
    London
    I've taken some photos in different lighting to show the difference two colour profiles on the Pen-F – my custom profile (Classic Chrome-ish) and the native Profile 2 (which is more like Kodachrome).

I'm not presenting these as good photos by any stretch, but rather as good examples of as close to Classic Chrome as I've been able to get.

I'd love to hear your guys opinion on the profile.

CUSTOM

P7250034.

PROFILE 2

P7250035.

CUSTOM

P7290174.

PROFILE 2

P7290175.

CUSTOM

P7300195.

PROFILE 2

P7300196.

The custom recipe here was:

All colours -3
    Except ...
    Orange +1
    Red +1
    -5 on shadows

• Like Like x 2
  17. MillsArt

MillsArt Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I wouldn't worry about how "accurate" it is, because frankly even the Fuji emulations don't match the actual film stocks (I own an XT2 btw), and instead, just worry about if you like the looks or not.

In post, I have Alien Skin Exposure, VSCO, and the Google Nik bundle, and even with the same emulation, they all look different. I honestly don't even bother looking at the names these days, instead just seeing what the results look like and if I think it suits the image.

Only real way to get an accurate film emulation is to shoot the actual film.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. decades

decades Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2017
    London
    Totally agree, @MillsArt@MillsArt. Trying to accurately replicate the look of Classic Chrone with SOOC camera JPG from a different sensor and system is madness.

What I'm trying to is create a profile that functions in the spirit of Classic Chrome. What I mean by that is a profile that is low saturation, high contrast — a "colour black and white" for reportage style photography.

I really hate playing around in post, so being able to dial in these emulations straight in the Pen-F is pretty awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GarethB

GarethB Mu-43 Regular

Jul 21, 2016
    I don't think there is anything wrong with aiming to get it as accurate as possible.
    It will never be 100%, but that doesn't mean it's not worth trying to get close.

20. Cerita

Cerita Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2017
    Toronto
    So profile 2 is close to Kodachrome? I have never shot with Kodachrome and only recently have seen actual slides, so I am not at all familiar with it, but oh the colours, I am in LOVE with Kodachrome colours. So if profile 2 is close, that's fabulous and must try it. I have been using Gavin Ghough's presets in LR, and it's very good but it would be nice to get close to the look in camera.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.