Pen F camera New Model Coming?

Jeannie

Mu-43 Rookie
I Have been looking at the thread about the Pen F camera, and I am seriously thinking of buying one. I had been a long time Nikon user, but 2 years ago, after doing my research I preordered the Em1M2. I also bought a 4 month old EM1 from a friend, and sold my 3 FF Nikons. I LOVE my Olympus cameras.

I feel that having the penF would open me up to more different types of shooting. I use the EM!M2 for wildlife, and the Em1 for all else.

My question is, should I buy the Pen F Now? I had read somewhere that there was a newer model in the works. The PenF was announced 3 years ago January and was available 2 months later.

nwphil

Mu-43 Regular
Hi Jeannie,
I don't see why a camera by itself, being same brand, similar sensor to name just a few, would allow you more different types of shooting...
- actually the pen F will restrict you a little bit regarding shooting in all weather, and anything requiring a more accurate and fast tracking.

btw, I own the pen F and love it, but if you think you going to have a rangefinder-like experience, or that having one would allow you to shot street, you will be disappointed (I have a true rangefinder) and mislead ( any camera CAN be used for such - other factors do matter more)

Take an extended weekend in a not too far away place, or maybe think about getting a macro or UWA lens if you don't have either in your bag already.

with that said, the Pen F it's a wonderful camera, and probably a bit easier to carry all day inside a (generous) pocket or for hiking, but in true terms of quality and abilities, both EMs you have should be enough

ok, If you really like the looks - and there is nothing wrong using that as a decision factor either, sell the EM1 and get the pen F now...

Nothing has been confirmed but there are reports on 43 rumors site that there are other cameras to come out next year from olympus besides the ridiculous EM1x. Nobody knows what the other oly cameras are so we can only speculate that one of them may be the Pen F ii but still, I'd hold out for actual confirmation. My personal thoughts are that I'd expect an em5 iii to come out before a Pen F ii as the Em5 seriously needs an update. I'd like one myself.

MFTmaster

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rick V
I just bought a Lightly used Pen-F and now wish I had bought it years ago
You can now get them "USED" for as little as $650 US on places like Adorama and KEH
As a companion camera it, blows my mind how this little camera has all of these features
Most people compare it to the EM5 because the menu is similar and I agree about the menu
but that's as far as I feel it resembles the EM5

I own an EM1.2 and a very old EM5
I use my EM1.2 for Making money and shooting 4K on my Youtube channel
I use my EM5 for B-Roll and as a backup camera to my EM1.2 or if I need to set up a second camera

However:
I now Use my Pen-F for everything. I take it everywhere I go and it fits in my jacket pocket (A 17mm f/1.8 stays on it all the time)
I have large hands but it still fits and feels good in them. The Front Filter dial that everybody complains about it not an issue for me
The filters are very usable (If you don't mind taking the time to set up your shot) and if you take the time to create a few filters that you like or use all the time, you can save them to the camera and also back them up using the Olympus camera updater or Viewer 3.
Even though the filters only attach to the .jpg files You can use Viewer 3 to transfer them to your RAW files since Viewer 3 has the same Filters in the software.

To wait to see if there will be a Pen-F II then you would wait to see if there will be a Pen-F III and so on
I guess what I am saying is "DON'T WAIT"
In My Opinion, you won't be disappointed.
The Olympus Pen-F is a formidable, futuristic camera ahead of it's time and should be praised as such.
Not slammed because it's not a pro camera as all the bad reviews seem to compare it to because of the price.....lol

Here are some video links including mine to help you make your decision

Good luck, Happy Holidays
And Best regards, Rick

Last edited:

Jeannie

Mu-43 Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nothing has been confirmed but there are reports on 43 rumors site that there are other cameras to come out next year from olympus besides the ridiculous EM1x. Nobody knows what the other oly cameras are so we can only speculate that one of them may be the Pen F ii but still, I'd hold out for actual confirmation. My personal thoughts are that I'd expect an em5 iii to come out before a Pen F ii as the Em5 seriously needs an update. I'd like one myself.

I am going to go into the a camera store after Christmas, and if they have the Pen F, I want to look at it and hold it in my hands. I think it will be a fine "nother" camera.

Jeannie

Mu-43 Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just bought a Lightly used Pen-F and now wish I had bought it years ago
You can now get them "USED" for as little as $650 US on places like Adorama and KEH
As a companion camera it, blows my mind how this little camera has all of these features
Most people compare it to the EM5 because the menu is similar and I agree about the menu
but that's as far as I feel it resembles the EM5

I own an EM1.2 and a very old EM5
I use my EM1.2 for Making money and shooting 4K on my Youtube channel
I use my EM5 for B-Roll and as a backup camera to my EM1.2 or if I need to set up a second camera

However:
I now Use my Pen-F for everything. I take it everywhere I go and it fits in my jacket pocket (A 17mm f/1.8 stays on it all the time)
I have large hands but it still fits and feels good in them. The Front Filter dial that everybody complains about it not an issue for me
The filters are very usable (If you don't mind taking the time to set up your shot) and if you take the time to create a few filters that you like or use all the time, you can save them to the camera and also back them up using the Olympus camera updater or Viewer 3.
Even though the filters only attach to the .jpg files You can use Viewer 3 to transfer them to your RAW files since Viewer 3 has the same Filters in the software.

To wait to see if there will be a Pen-F II then you would wait to see if there will be a Pen-F III and so on
I guess what I am saying is "DON'T WAIT"
In My Opinion, you won't be disappointed.
The Olympus Pen-F is a formidable, futuristic camera ahead of it's time and should be praised as such.
Not slammed because it's not a pro camera as all the bad reviews seem to compare it to because of the price.....lol

Here are some video links including mine to help you make your decision

Good luck, Happy Holidays
And Best regards, Rick
Thanks for all the work of posting all those videos, Rick.I really appreciated it. I do have a feeling that the pen F will be coming to my house in the new year

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
It's camera that as a whole somehow exceeds its component parts...

- EVF is smaller than E-M5ii
- IBIS is worse than E-M1ii
- SAF is worse than any other Oly m43 camera since the E-M5
- CAF is pretty useless

However... I still love it. There's something about its "gestalt" that defies the basic stats. I use it more than my E-M1ii.

Last edited:

MFTmaster

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rick V
It's camera that as a whole somehow exceeds its component parts...

- EVF is smaller than E-M5ii
- IBIS is worse than E-M1ii
- SAF is worse than any other Oly m43 camera since the E-M5
- CAF is pretty useless

However... I still love it. There's something about its "gestalt" that defies the basic stats. I use it more than my E-M1ii.
You and others have said this but I have to disagree
I don't see nor feel the difference between my EM1.2 and my Pen-F
I am not trying to be argumentative......
I just think those things that you point out are such a minuscule amount of difference
between my EM5, EM1.2, and Pen-F that I can't tell the difference

Do you have the actual SPEC data sheet difference?
I would like to see it if you can find it because again I say I don't see the difference

Regards, Rick

Last edited:

Magua

Mu-43 Regular
I just got a nice Christmas bonus today and I know where every penny of it is going...a silver Pen F and no mistake. Hopefully one of the two rumored small body cameras coming out next month will be a new version. I've held one in my hands along with a EM 5II and while they are practically the same size and weight, the Pen F just felt better IMO. I also prefer the rangefinder layout and while it may not have weather sealing it still ticks enough boxes for me to make it my next camera. I've yet to hear of anyone who owns one say they regretted their purchase.

AaronE

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I have the Pen-f and it is a great camera. What made an even better camera was putting the Oly grip on it. Made it a little larger and very slightly heavier but now it is secure in my hand and bigger lenses (only 12-40mm) don't feel cumbersome. So many people tell me "thats a great looking old film camera".

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
Well... The new Pen-F is coming (according to a reliable source) but there is no accurate info on WHEN it's coming (2019 for sure). Wait for it or not? If you're willing to pay double the price and expect some improvements, then wait. If you think the new features etc. aren't worth the extra price then buy now. If I were looking for a Pen-F I'd buy a used one now. Then if the mk2 is significantly better I'd sell the mk1 for roughly the same money as I bought it and invest it on the mk2.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
If you want it and can afford it, get one now. You can always sell it to buy a better one if that appears. My next camera has not yet been announced, I know what I want in and on it, and can wait for theright model. Then I can wait 6 months for any niggles to appear.

Evan614

Mu-43 Regular
I don't have a lot to offer but CES starts around January 8. So if there is going to be an Official announcement it will be then. So if you can wait 2 weeks.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
You and others have said this but I have to disagree
I don't see nor feel the difference between my EM1.2 and my Pen-F
I am not trying to be argumentative......
I just think those things that you point out are such a minuscule amount of difference
between my EM5, EM1.2, and Pen-F that I can't tell the difference

Do you have the actual SPEC data sheet difference?
I would like to see it if you can find it because again I say I don't see the difference

Regards, Rick
Hi Rick - as I said, I like the Pen. It works for most of what I need a camera for. But the differences to the EM1.2 are quite apparent.

Every time I pick up my EM1.2 after using the Pen and look through the viewfinder I think "oh yeah, that's a much better EVF". Every time I pull off a 4 or 8s hand held shot with the EM1.2 and the 12-100 I think "wow, that's just magic and something the Pen F wouldn't quite reach". Every time I use the Pen in low light and struggle to get SAF to work I think ""the EM1.2 would have nailed that".

Different cameras for different purposes.

bikerhiker

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David
I Have been looking at the thread about the Pen F camera, and I am seriously thinking of buying one. I had been a long time Nikon user, but 2 years ago, after doing my research I preordered the Em1M2. I also bought a 4 month old EM1 from a friend, and sold my 3 FF Nikons. I LOVE my Olympus cameras.

I feel that having the penF would open me up to more different types of shooting. I use the EM!M2 for wildlife, and the Em1 for all else.

My question is, should I buy the Pen F Now? I had read somewhere that there was a newer model in the works. The PenF was announced 3 years ago January and was available 2 months later.
One of the most undocumented features of the Pen-F is the ability, just like a Nikon FF can do for so long through Nikon Capture, is to take in custom color or monochrome shooting profile from other photographers. In fact, I think the latest firmware version 3.0 and Olympus Viewer will allow this.

PEN-F: Latest firmware lets you upload colour and mono profiles used by other photographers

Olympus Asia has a bunch of custom profile taken by their visionary team (color and mono) for the PEN-F. I initially wanted the GX-8/GX9 myself, but would prefer buying the PEN-F just for this feature alone because some of the monochrome profiles provided by the visionary team are simply amazing. I do a lot of street and urban landscape photography and this feature saves me time in creating my own profiles. No other Olympus cameras offer this feature.

If there is a newer Pen-F, it would probably compete against the newer Panasonic GX9 as it is currently a pretty good selling camera. You probably won't notice much in terms of improvements -- perhaps handheld hi-res and better noise performance. But the original PEN-F is pretty good at that anyhow. As a street camera, the PEN-F is the bomb, especially with uploadable custom color/mono profiles.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
One of the most undocumented features of the Pen-F is the ability, just like a Nikon FF can do for so long through Nikon Capture, is to take in custom color or monochrome shooting profile from other photographers. In fact, I think the latest firmware version 3.0 and Olympus Viewer will allow this.

PEN-F: Latest firmware lets you upload colour and mono profiles used by other photographers

Olympus Asia has a bunch of custom profile taken by their visionary team (color and mono) for the PEN-F. I initially wanted the GX-8/GX9 myself, but would prefer buying the PEN-F just for this feature alone because some of the monochrome profiles provided by the visionary team are simply amazing. I do a lot of street and urban landscape photography and this feature saves me time in creating my own profiles. No other Olympus cameras offer this feature.

If there is a newer Pen-F, it would probably compete against the newer Panasonic GX9 as it is currently a pretty good selling camera. You probably won't notice much in terms of improvements -- perhaps handheld hi-res and better noise performance. But the original PEN-F is pretty good at that anyhow. As a street camera, the PEN-F is the bomb, especially with uploadable custom color/mono profiles.
Hmmm - I can't believe how hard Olympus have made that feature to use! You need to install OV3, which has to be the most awful piece of PP software out there. Then you have to connect the camera to a PC with a cable and then download a JPEG image that has the settings you want to use. Then you have to open the image with the Oly software and transfer it to the camera. That's such a faff. On top of all that the sample setting/images are not well curated or categorised. They are also almost impossible to find on the Oly site. Talk about half-baked!

IMHO Oly should spend a bit of effort in making a nicely laid-out site with example images and small, downloadable settings files that can be written to an SD card which the camera will import. Either that, or via the WiFi in the camera get it to connect directly with the Oly site.

Although, TBH - there are so many LR profiles out there that will do what all these Oly things do and then a lot more besides.

MFTmaster

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rick V
Hmmm - I can't believe how hard Olympus have made that feature to use! You need to install OV3, which has to be the most awful piece of PP software out there. Then you have to connect the camera to a PC with a cable and then download a JPEG image that has the settings you want to use. Then you have to open the image with the Oly software and transfer it to the camera. That's such a faff. On top of all that the sample setting/images are not well curated or categorised. They are also almost impossible to find on the Oly site. Talk about half-baked!

IMHO Oly should spend a bit of effort in making a nicely laid-out site with example images and small, downloadable settings files that can be written to an SD card which the camera will import. Either that, or via the WiFi in the camera get it to connect directly with the Oly site.

Although, TBH - there are so many LR profiles out there that will do what all these Oly things do and then a lot more besides.
DJI's first drone
Samsungs first phone
Fords model "T"

As with anything New and Unique to any manufacturer, there's always room for improvement
Oly did something special that No one else did....they made a camera able to edit and tweak your composition before taking the picture!
To complain about it because you have better ideas or think that it's easy to bring ideas to fruition is so negative and despairing of you.
but looking at most of your other 5000+ post here on this forum you are a very negative person and rain on most others posts whenever you can!!
don't get me wrong.....we're all used to you being so negative with your grand ideas of what OLYMPUS should of, would of, could of........
I'm just the one who calls you out about your negative & constant tone of disparity................(and I'm new here)...........ROFL

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will remain Optimistic and say
This was the first attempt to have a feature like this in a camera and it is a 3 years old attempt
I am sure that the next Pen-F will be much better and so will the software
But for a 3 year old camera to be able to do this (No matter how slow or cumbersome you say it is)
is SUPER FUN and inventive to me and I have been having a blast with these filters and my family and friends
love my new style of photos I have been sharing with them.

I Like the OV3 software and for most who don't know or use PS or LR this FREE software is super easy to use.
In my profession, i use PS, LR, AI, PR, & others every day so it's refreshing to me to use OV3
I built my a X299 Computer with an EVGA 1080 TI Kingpin and 32G of RAM
I set OV3 to use the GPU and don't have any rendering problems in OV3 (or any other software FTM)

IMO, you won't be disappointed with the current Pen-F model (As most of us are not)
OR
To wait for the new one is a good idea also......
this way you can see the specs and then choose whether you can justify the price

either way, you're getting a futuristic, fantastic, SUPER FUN camera with features ahead of its time!!!

Merry Christmass, Happy Hanukkah or whatever holiday you celebrate with your Family and Friends
best regards, Rick

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
...looking at most of your other 5000+ post here on this forum you are a very negative person and rain on most others posts whenever you can!!
don't get me wrong.....we're all used to you being so negative with your grand ideas of what OLYMPUS should of, would of, could of........
I'm just the one who calls you out about your negative & constant tone of disparity................(and I'm new here)...........ROFL
Thanks Rick. Nice to know that you can psychoanalyse me so quickly. Merry Christmas to you too.

PS - "should of", "could of" etc - should be "should have", "could have". It's called the conditional perfect and it needs the verb "to have" ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom