Pen F behavior

flynfoto

Mu-43 Rookie
I get the feeling there's an operator error on my part regarding my Pen F. Whenever I have the Creative Dial set to Mono (or Color) the shading effect can not be adjusted using the front wheel. Also, when the dial is set to Mono and I am in the SCP the grain option just shows OFF and does not let me make any adjustments. I will do a reset if necessary but before I do that I wanted to see if there's some obscure setting that I have made a mistake with that is causing my issue. TIA

Hi Flyn, I just spent about 15 minutes to figure out what could cause the "Grain: Off" issue. I've heard that a few times, but never experienced myself, so I took on of my Fs and started to play around. The only setting I've encountered which completely disables Grain to Off is High Res Shot, you can access it via the Drive Mode menu, in there it is on the far right. All other modes have no effect on Grain, same goes for image quality settings or extreme exposure settings like Bulb, Live Comp or Live Time and even extreme ISO settings or Auto-ISO have no effect on Grain.

As for your other question regarding the front dial, I fear I don't really know what you mean by "shading effect". Usually by default the front dial either controls ISO, aperture or shutter speed, depending on the mode (PASM - C1-C4) you have set your camera.
You can change the functionality of the dials in your settings menu: Cogwheel -> Cog B -> Dial Function. From there you can access the dial's behaviour depending on the camera mode. Keep in mind if you are using any of the C1-C4 modes, changes of the menu won't be saved once you power off the camera or switch modes unless you save them manually inside the menu for C1-C4.

Last edited:

flynfoto

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi Flyn, I just spent about 15 minutes to figure out what could cause the "Grain: Off" issue. I've heard that a few times, but never experienced myself, so I took on of my Fs and started to play around. The only setting I've encountered which completely disables Grain to Off is High Res Shot, you can access it via the Drive Mode menu, in there it is on the far right. All other modes have no effect on Grain, same goes for image quality settings or extreme exposure settings like Bulb, Live Comp or Live Time and even extreme ISO settings or Auto-ISO have no effect on Grain.

As for your other question regarding the front dial, I fear I don't really know what you mean by "shading effect". Usually by default the front dial either controls ISO, aperture or shutter speed, depending on the mode (PASM - C1-C4) you have set your camera.
You can change the functionality of the dials in your settings menu: Cogwheel -> Cog B -> Dial Function. From there you can access the dial's behaviour depending on the camera mode. Keep in mind if you are using any of the C1-C4 modes, changes of the menu won't be saved once you power off the camera or switch modes unless you save them manually inside the menu for C1-C4.
Thanks for your reply GB. When I was referencing the front dial I meant the Creative Control dial not the one on the top plate. I didn't have High Res enabled or any of the long exposure modes. I finally threw in the towel and just did a basic reset and that seems to have done the trick.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom