Pen F Battery Problems

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bidkev, Apr 16, 2018.

1. My new Pen F shuts down every so often. I can resolve the issue by unseating and re-seating the battery. I thought at first that it was due to a non-olympus battery but today I loaded the battery that came with the camera and it still shut down. I can take a couple of shots and then it fails to respond until I unseat and reseat the battery. It doesn't do it all that often so isn't a major problem but I have missed a couple of bird shots due to it. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you resolve it?

OK I just googled it and it seems that quite a few people are having the same problem with the Pen F and E-M5mkll since the last software update.

2. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking Subscribing Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    My Pen F has the latest firmware but I haven't seen this problem. I use both Olympus and third party batteries and so far they are working fine. I don't know if you can set the firmware to an earlier version but it may be worth checking.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. A google search tells me that the firmware 2.1 supposedly ironed out this problem. My camera is showing firmware 2.0 but when I try to update via olympus updater it says that I have the latest firmware?

4. Hazza

Hazza Just Clicking Subscribing Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Huddersfield UK
    Harry
    That's interesting, I just checked my firmware again and it is on FW 3.0. ??
    Make sure that you have the latest Olympus updater before you do the firmware update.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yes, I just checked and the latest firmware is 3.0. Apparently the problem I have has been whittled down to having a closed screen as there is no recorded cases of shut down happening with screen open and this was resolved in 2.1. I'll try again to get firmware 3.0

6. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Easiest reliable way to update is to do it in Olympus Viewer 3. It lets you update the updater software before you do the actual update.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Now updated so will see how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    The issues with v2.0 were not completely fixed in 2.1 or the latest version. I have seen reports from others on other forums as well that the problem still exists for some. Your problem seems similar to the others, just described differently I think.

Edit;
    I have been trying to follow the issue myself as I see a PenF in my kit as well one day. Really like the camera.

9. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    I keep the screen closed pretty much all the time. I am running firmware 3.0. I have never had this problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I had to downgrade from 2.1 to 1.1 (this originally said 1.3), then go to 3.0 before my blackout issues went away.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  11. How did you downgrade? Olympus states that you cannot without returning it to Olympus?

12. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    I had the problem with V2.0. I've had no problems since updating to V2.1 and then again to V3.0.

13. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    There is an unofficial method which uses an SD card. You lose all your settings.

14. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    True, it is unoffical, and you take risk in bricking your camera. I'v done it successfully, but you take full responsibility for what you do with this information.

Olympus firmware update tool

15. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2018
    I've read where some freezes are the result of a bad SD card. I had one where the write would pause and resume at the same spot with a SD card freeware tester.

16. I've read that also so i tried with different sd cards and it still happened

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.