Pen F adapter - how heavy is it?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Bruce McL, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

My micro 4/3 camera is rather small. When I look at adding a lens, adapted or native, weight and length are important to me. I can look up the length and weight of any lens, adapted or native. I can figure out the length or thickness of the adapter. But I have not been able to find good data on the weight of various adapters. Does anybody know how much the Pen F adapter weighs?

I found one estimate of the AR mount adapter at 75g. The Pen F adapter is much thinner, so I would guess around 40 grams. But I would like to know.

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Mine feels pretty heavy/solid for how small it is, weighed in at 47.12g

Edit: it's branded "Pixco Penf-m4/3"

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

Thank you, that was a fast response. The 38mm ƒ1.8 Olympus Pen F lens plus adapter looks to be about the same physical length as the native Olympus 45mm ƒ1.8, but quite a bit heavier.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I got a caliper out of storage and measured the adapter at 9.68mm thick, I measured the 38mm f1.8 at 30.30mm long and the combined at 40.05mm (At infinity, the discrepancy would seem to be the imprecise nature of the bayonet). At closest focusing distance the combination is 45.50mm

I cannot measure the weight of the lens as the scales I've been using maxes out at 100g and I don't have a larger set available... damn you precision instrument for giving an out of range error and not just being 99% correct...

5. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

That's reassuring about the adapter. I did the math from this page by subtracting the m4/3 flange focal distance from the Pen F distance, and I get just about the same thickness.

Flange focal distance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For weights and dimensions of lenses I have been trusting sources I find online - which is not always a good idea. Thank you for your help.

For now I am leaning towards the Hexanon 40mm ƒ1.8 AR mount as my first adapted lens. Figures I have for that are 63mm diameter, 27mm length, 140g. Guesstimate of adapter weight and length are 75g and 21.25mm.

6. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Unfortunately, I'm in a similar position as eteless - though my scales can take a lot of weight, but simply don't register light things (it's a luggage scale). If you still need the exact figures for the 38mm f/1.8 PEN plus adapter versus the 45mm f/1.8 :mu43:, give a shout, and I'll break out the callipers ... i.e. I have everything here. Can't help you with the Hexanon, though.

M.

7. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

I think I'm all set here. Thanks for the offer though. In my notes I have weights, measures, and prices of a few native lenses as a guideline. Now I am able to fill in the blanks on the adapted lenses and adapters I am curious about.

This adapted lens world is an interesting one. I have focus peaking on my GM5 but no Image Stabilization. I can see how a body with both features would be helpful. Also, with the older lenses being heavy and the brass adapters adding weight, a larger, heavier body with a neck strap makes sense. Right now I use a wrist strap and a jacket pocket for the GM5 with 12-32 or BCL 9 native lenses.

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I weigh my camera stuff with 2kg kitchen scales :-D

• Like Like x 1
  9. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Welcome!

The combo you use sure is the ultimate pocket solution, but you're right there with the balance issues. I use the adapter with the E-M10 only - even the smallest setups feel rather front heavy on the E-PL7. Both have the same generation as I.B.I.S. - but the EVF is the main advantage: One more point of contact, and a clearer view on peaking. So the E-M10 II would be top of the list for reasonably small, but nicely stabilised.

M.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bruce McL

Bruce McL Mu-43 Veteran

That's good to know. I see the E-M10 is about the same size and weight as the GX7, which I have on my list as a potential adapted lens camera. I've been using Panasonic P&S cameras for years, and I'm comfortable with that menu system, plus I really like the EVF on the left side of the camera. I have read, and I believe, that Image Stabilization is better on Olympus, and much better on newer cameras. But for me, finding a good deal on a used GX7 may be the best way into this game, whenever that may happen.

Right now all of this is partly fantasy, just something to think about while waiting for the weather to get better. In reality, I just bought an Olympus 9mm Body Cap Lens, which is my first fisheye and first ultra wide angle lens. Exploring that world will keep me busy for quite a while, I think.

The Olympus 9mm BCL lens has no electronic connection to the camera, which makes it halfway to being an adapted lens. :) Plus I had focus peaking turned on while using it, just to see what that was like. That's what put me in an adapted lens state of mind...

• Like Like x 2