Review Pen-F 10 months in

Real Name
Chris
I had two of the Pen-F models. Sold the first because I thought it must have demons in it due to the fidgety interface. The second model was the same. Something about it just did not work for me. It was quirky and IMO not consistent. I always thought the Oly needed to complete a big firmware update but that never happened.

Great photos. The front knob was no problem with me and the viewfinder had plenty of resolution. It was just the configuration of the buttons and the quirky touch screen to focus issues that drove me crazy. Sold the Pen-F for the EM1-mkii which I find to be a solid consistent performer.

Sorry to be the skunk at the picnic.

Gromit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
I think cameras - or any 'instrument' which is used to create something subjective - are objects which will always bring subjective opinion, and that's good.

As machine for making photos, I love my E-M1.2. For me, it's an ergonomic masterpiece - for a camera to be so small, yet so comfortable in large hands, is one very clever piece of design. For a camera to be out and about with, just for the sheer enjoyment of using it, the Pen F wins for me though. Exposure triangle set by 3 dials, plus the brilliant 'art' dial on the front. Happy days. :)

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
BTW ... my decision to keep using my GF1 is pretty similar to yours on the Pen-F ... its about how the camera feels to use.
Ditto with GX1, love its ease for jumping to any ISO setting on one screen plus a few other niceties. Wish I could make a Frankenfirmware with a few of its features on a newer body, but I'll keep my low-resale friend and a few OIS lenses.

If a Pen-F ever drops into my price range it does appear to be a fun, cult-inspiring camera. Hey I liked the K-01 too, I'm susceptible 🙃

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I think cameras - or any 'instrument' which is used to create something subjective - are objects which will always bring subjective opinion, and that's good.

As machine for making photos, I love my E-M1.2. For me, it's an ergonomic masterpiece - for a camera to be so small, yet so comfortable in large hands, is one very clever piece of design. For a camera to be out and about with, just for the sheer enjoyment of using it, the Pen F wins for me though. Exposure triangle set by 3 dials, plus the brilliant 'art' dial on the front. Happy days. :)
Couldn't agree more, though I have the Pen F set to flash comp on the top dial so both bodies f/r dials function the same. Yes it means that dial doesn't get used much, but one of the reasons for picking these two bodies was based on the fact that they could be setup pretty much the same.

Gromit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
Yes it means that dial doesn't get used much, but one of the reasons for picking these two bodies was based on the fact that they could be setup pretty much the same.
That does make a lot of sense, and definitely when it brings a similar 'feel' between 2 bodies. My Pen's front dial is aperture, rear ISO and of course there's the exp comp doing its thing. My E-M1.2 is aperture front dial/rear exp comp - ISO is Fn2 so close enough. :)

I've often said if I could design the perfect camera, I'd have Olympus doing the ergos every time...along with a few other bits too. :)

Hcbruijn

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Bert
I replaced my beloved epm2 which I bought for travel and when the pan 20mm pancake arrived it pretty much stuck to that camera and then suited the replacement, a pen f so well. I love the mono and colour wheel and with raw I have great jpgs to choose from. The colour 1 setting I found to be great on landscapes and where you want something colourful highlighted. The 14-140 pan is a good zoom choice for travel with the 20 f1.7 reserved for low light. I also have the 9-18mm oly which is a great walk around to get wide streetscapes in or inside churches. At home i like walking around with the 35-100mm pan f2.8 nowadays. Haven't got much use from the 12-40mm f2.8 unfortunately. I will never sell my pen f and just bought a em5 MK2 to put my zoom lenses on for travel when hiring a car on trips. The pen f is ideal for primes and deserves to be out on the street with them. Long live my pen f.

MiguelATF

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Miguel Tejada-Flores
Ditto with GX1, love its ease for jumping to any ISO setting on one screen plus a few other niceties. Wish I could make a Frankenfirmware with a few of its features on a newer body, but I'll keep my low-resale friend and a few OIS lenses.

If a Pen-F ever drops into my price range it does appear to be a fun, cult-inspiring camera. Hey I liked the K-01 too, I'm susceptible 🙃
Have to agree with you 100% down the line: the GX1 is such a cool small camera and does so many things, so well. I couldn't ever bring myself to part with mine - but a few years ago, I converted it to infrared and...it's still just as great.

The K-01 was rather fine, too. A love it or hate it camera for many hard core Pentaxians but I belong to the love-it camp....and would have bought one, if it hadn't been for the KP. (Another remarkable Pentax...they know how to make great cameras for photographers.)

And...I feel the same way about Pen-F's as you. After wanting one for years, I have finally purchased one at a reasonable price from a fellow forum member....and I'm anticipating it will be at least as good as the old Leica's and Contaxes I used to shoot with once upon a time.

Seriously ;)

nstelemark

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Larry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A few more Pen-F mono images:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom