1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured Review Pen-F 10 months in

Discussion in 'Reviews, Tests, & Shootouts' started by nstelemark, Nov 27, 2018.

1. inthecage

inthecage Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2010
    Sagamore Hills, Ohio
    M Ferencz
    I shoot raw on mine 99% of the time, and often forget how great the mono jpeg profile is. This camera can take incredible black and white with virtually no touch up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    More sample images?? :) 

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I know this is an old thread but there are some newer post soooo
    I got the Pen-f on first day of release. I instantly loved the camera. I used it just about everyday for a year. I sold it to my business partner, Olivier. I sent it to him in Korea. The day I sent it, I had a sick feeling and I ordered another pen-f from B&H within 24 hours. I used that camera for a while and decided I didn't need it anymore cause I was using my Leica's and Fuji's. Yup, I sold it on eBay. Time passed and about 10 months later I ordered anther Pen-F. That was April 2018. I have it and it's about as good as a camera needs to be. Sure the Leica and the Fujis are awesome cameras but the Pen-f is much smaller and most importantly lighter. Just wanted to say, that's how good a camera it is. I won't trade or sell it cause I feel stupid buying it so many times. Be blessed all...say hi to Amin

• Like Like x 7
    • Wow Wow x 2
  4. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    Me too. I started with the 17mm f1.8, but eventually faced up to the fact that I’m a zoom guy so I switched to the 12-40mm Pro. I find the zoom is okay on the Pen-F without an add-on grip (which I briefly tried but quickly returned when I discovered it prevented me from opening the LCD screen from the bottom edge).

5. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Good to see you here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team Subscribing Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Ha, I though I was bad buying stuff again after selling it!

I'm on my second Pen F, but that's only because I decided I wanted the all black version.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Sure

916FE038-811F-4023-85C4-C347F9DB125A.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. Nam-in-Sonoma

Nam-in-Sonoma Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Penngrove, CA
    Nam
    I had mine for about only a month, just before my trip to France...I shot mostly with the Pen F...Like you I like the monochrome mode.

The short coming for someone like me coming from E-M1 mark ii is the High Res limitation....maximum exposure only 8 second unlike the E-M1 Mark ii.

As for the handling, I put the RRS L bracket on it, the grip is a welcome addition.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I got my Pen almost as soon as they came out, and unless I need the weather sealing of the E-M5 that is what I shoot with. It is my number one camera. I never understood the objection to the jpeg modes. They're quite useful, the tri-x mono mode is terrific, and if you shoot raw&jpeg, as I always have (storage is cheap) you can have it all. The resolution bump over the 16MP sensor, is not huge is nonetheless real. When I use it in manual focus mode with the Panasonic 20mm lens it gives me the closest I've yet got in digital to shooting my beloved Olympus 35SP film rangefinder. I understand that it is different strokes for different folks, but the violence with which some people dismiss a camera because it is not their cup of tea is weird and a bit disturbing. I love the Pen F and I hope Olympus is planning on continuing the line. A Mark II Pen F is not needed now, but I'd like to think one will come out eventually. The camera has everything I normally need.

• Like Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.