Review Pen-F 10 months in

inthecage

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
M Ferencz
I shoot raw on mine 99% of the time, and often forget how great the mono jpeg profile is. This camera can take incredible black and white with virtually no touch up.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I know this is an old thread but there are some newer post soooo
I got the Pen-f on first day of release. I instantly loved the camera. I used it just about everyday for a year. I sold it to my business partner, Olivier. I sent it to him in Korea. The day I sent it, I had a sick feeling and I ordered another pen-f from B&H within 24 hours. I used that camera for a while and decided I didn't need it anymore cause I was using my Leica's and Fuji's. Yup, I sold it on eBay. Time passed and about 10 months later I ordered anther Pen-F. That was April 2018. I have it and it's about as good as a camera needs to be. Sure the Leica and the Fujis are awesome cameras but the Pen-f is much smaller and most importantly lighter. Just wanted to say, that's how good a camera it is. I won't trade or sell it cause I feel stupid buying it so many times. Be blessed all...say hi to Amin

Drdul

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Richard
It's also evolved from a small primes body (12, 17, 25, 45) to a primarily zoom body (12-40) with the 17mm in tow for use in low light or for a light causal camera.
Me too. I started with the 17mm f1.8, but eventually faced up to the fact that I’m a zoom guy so I switched to the 12-40mm Pro. I find the zoom is okay on the Pen-F without an add-on grip (which I briefly tried but quickly returned when I discovered it prevented me from opening the LCD screen from the bottom edge).

WT21

Super Moderator
I got the Pen-f on first day of release. I instantly loved the camera. I used it just about everyday for a year. I sold it to my business partner, Olivier. I sent it to him in Korea. The day I sent it, I had a sick feeling and I ordered another pen-f from B&H within 24 hours. I used that camera for a while and decided I didn't need it anymore cause I was using my Leica's and Fuji's. Yup, I sold it on eBay. Time passed and about 10 months later I ordered anther Pen-F. That was April 2018. I have it and it's about as good as a camera needs to be. Sure the Leica and the Fujis are awesome cameras but the Pen-f is much smaller and most importantly lighter. Just wanted to say, that's how good a camera it is. I won't trade or sell it cause I feel stupid buying it so many times. Be blessed all...say hi to Amin
Good to see you here.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Ha, I though I was bad buying stuff again after selling it!

I'm on my second Pen F, but that's only because I decided I wanted the all black version.

Nam-in-Sonoma

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Nam
I had mine for about only a month, just before my trip to France...I shot mostly with the Pen F...Like you I like the monochrome mode.

The short coming for someone like me coming from E-M1 mark ii is the High Res limitation....maximum exposure only 8 second unlike the E-M1 Mark ii.

As for the handling, I put the RRS L bracket on it, the grip is a welcome addition.

Reactions: JDS

Lawrence A.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Larry
I got my Pen almost as soon as they came out, and unless I need the weather sealing of the E-M5 that is what I shoot with. It is my number one camera. I never understood the objection to the jpeg modes. They're quite useful, the tri-x mono mode is terrific, and if you shoot raw&jpeg, as I always have (storage is cheap) you can have it all. The resolution bump over the 16MP sensor, is not huge is nonetheless real. When I use it in manual focus mode with the Panasonic 20mm lens it gives me the closest I've yet got in digital to shooting my beloved Olympus 35SP film rangefinder. I understand that it is different strokes for different folks, but the violence with which some people dismiss a camera because it is not their cup of tea is weird and a bit disturbing. I love the Pen F and I hope Olympus is planning on continuing the line. A Mark II Pen F is not needed now, but I'd like to think one will come out eventually. The camera has everything I normally need.

mcgruff

Mu-43 Regular
One month in with Pen F. And another fan of that Monochrome Profile 2. Kept it on default settings (probably time to tinker with them) and walked around downtown LA today.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Pluttis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Love my Pen-f as well, its good and really fun to shoot with. Mono mode is awesome, many times it can be hard to get as good result in post.
It would be perfect if it had better AF-C and bigger/better EVF.

Last edited:
Real Name
Wayne
Recently returned to MFT with an impulse purchase of a GX85 kit for a great price. A week later I picked up a G9.

Decided for my compact I want the 20mp sensor as well so I have sold the GX85 and am about to pull the trigger on a GX9. BUT the Pen-F is one sweet looking camera. Definitely better viewfinder, having a hard time with the price difference though. GX9 with 12-60mm lens for $800 vs body only for $900

Decisions, decisions. Going to Hawaii next month, need to figure it out soon.

mcgruff

Mu-43 Regular
Recently returned to MFT with an impulse purchase of a GX85 kit for a great price. A week later I picked up a G9.

Decided for my compact I want the 20mp sensor as well so I have sold the GX85 and am about to pull the trigger on a GX9. BUT the Pen-F is one sweet looking camera. Definitely better viewfinder, having a hard time with the price difference though. GX9 with 12-60mm lens for $800 vs body only for $900

Decisions, decisions. Going to Hawaii next month, need to figure it out soon.
EBay shows a reconditioned Pen F body @ $685. Might need to hurry...I might buy another. : )

Olympus PEN-F Mirrorless Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera (Body Only, Silver) 50332190351 | eBay

"Reconditioned by Olympus. Includes box and accessories."

Top Bottom