Pen EPL3 or EM5 ???

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by suoersta, May 24, 2012.

1. suoersta

suoersta Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    Hi M4/3 users, i would like to know is the high cost EM5 more worthwhile than the EPL3 ?? Is there any much difference in the image quality especially the high ISO performance in between them ??

Please advise me, i can't make up my mind . = =.thanks!!
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I don't have an E-PL3 nor an OMD but I did have both an E-PM1 and E-P3 and went to a GH2 (12mp to the 16mp sensor). By all accounts the OMD's sensor is a bit better than the GH2's (increased DR for instance) but I still think the comparison is valid.

The jump from the 12mp sensor to the 16mp sensor was pretty significant with regards to IQ. For instance my GH2 produces very useable files up to ISO 3200 with better detail and sharpness where about the best I could manage with the E-PM1 and E-P3 was ISO 1600. I should think the jump between the E-PL3 and OMD would be just as dramatic. In addition, the OMD would give you the trademark Olympus color, excellent AWB and metering as well as the 5 axis IS. Of course the OMD is also a good deal more expensive and not nearly as pocketable.
  3. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Apart from the (quite significant) new IBIS and -of course- the image quality, let's don't forget that with the EM5 you get the EVF for free. This is a 200 euro/dollars extra on a Pen.

In fact pocketability is the only issue with the EM5 (although it is perhaps more pocketable than a E-P3+VF2/3). If this is the case, I would personally get it anyway, and hunt for a low price used EPM1 as a second body.
  4. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

I'll add to the above - viewfinder built-in ($220 or such extra), and better stabilization.

At some point you'll want the VF-2 with the E-PL3 for bright sun shooting. Subtract that off-of the E-M5 price, and they start to look closer.

The cleaner high-ISO really makes a big difference in evening shooting or indoors shooting. Gives you more degrees of freedom to get the best shot for the situation.