Pen EP5 Shutter Release Cable Question

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by retiredfromlife, Jun 9, 2016.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    I just purchased two accessories for my new Pen EP-5 the VF-4 viewfinder and a remote shutter release cable. I ended up getting a Hahnel HROP 280 release cable that is supposed to work with both Olympus and Panasonic cameras. Has separate leads for both. the EP-5 is listed on the sheet for compatability but the way it works makes me wonder if it does.

When I plug it in the USB menu comes up. If I press the button down half way the rear panel comes back on and the auto focus is also on, so I cannot frame the picture with the cable in. I have either the USB menu or by pressing the button half way down the cameras panel lights but the lens is focused.

I looked in the manual and the page that describes the shutter release cable does not mention any setting I need to change. Does this look like a problem with the after market Hahnel shutter release cable or is there a camera setting I need to change to get it to work.

Getting there but sorting out all the settings etc is taking time.

Regards MarkL

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Sounds like the camera thinks you've plugged in a USB cable. I have a cheapo remote/intervalometer, and it simply lets me control the shutter. No USB menu comes up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Since there are separate leads for both Olympus & Panasonic I also tried plugging in just the cable without the trigger and the USB menu still comes up.

Looks like it does not sense the correct cable?

Regards MarkL

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Most likely a cable issue, yes. I just looked at the ends of my Oly USB cable and the cable permanently attached to my remote, and they look the same to me. I'd have thought there'd be a difference in pins between the two types of cables, and perhaps there is, I just can't see it. Can you contact the seller for a different cable? Or perhaps you have a defective unit. This is the one I have:

Timer Remote Shutter Cord for OLYMPUS RM-UC1 - JJC

I've used it with E-PM1, E-PM5, E-M5 and two E-M10s w/o issue. It should work with your E-P5 too. All M43 Olys use this same connector.

5. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    I like the look of the remote in your link. I think I will try to return mine and see if I can find someone who sells the one you have in Sydney, and take the camera in and try before I buy next time.

Regards

6. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I bought mine several years ago, not sure it's sold anymore. I know JJC came out with a newer version that had interchangeable cables. Good luck finding one that works. I just ordered mine from Amazon, and fortunately it worked fine from the start.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    OK, just made time to check out the remote situation. Apparently JJC's still making my remote/timer. BTW, w/o batteries, it works as a simple shutter release. I realize this is the US site, but I just found one priced reasonably on Ebay:

JJC Timer Remote for Olympus

The one I mentioned earlier that has interchangeable cables is harder to find, and now priced quite a bit higher. But here's one. This one came out shortly after I bought mine (actually I bought two, one for my Oly cams and the Panasonic version for my then FZ150). It was a pain carrying two remotes. But I sold on the FZ150, still have the remote in its box. Not too many want these now there are smartphones and WiFi apps.

8. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia

Thanks for the links. I will try to get a refund on mine next week then try another one.

Regards MarkL

• Like Like x 1