Pen EP1 w/Panasonic/Leica digital lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by snookems, Sep 2, 2010.

1. snookems

snookems New to Mu-43

Sep 2, 2010
    Forgive my naivete, but I just bought a Oly ep1 and want to know if it will auto focus with the Panasonic 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 OIS Four Thirds Lens strapped on it. I know I'll need an adaptor but will it be manual focus only or will the camera operate it?

Thanks for any help.

2. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Hello Snookems and welcome to the forum!

Why not drop by the Introductions thread and introduce yourself?

I don't own either of the 4/3 Panasonic-Leica zooms, but I understand that they do autofocus, albeit rather slowly as they are optimised for a phase detect rather than contrast detect system; also the micro 4/3 bodies will need the rather expensive 4/3->micro4/3 adapter.

My understanding is that unless you already own one of these lenses, or can get hold of one and the adapter for a very good price; the size and weight of them combined with the slow autofocus makes them really less attractive than the native micro 4/3 panasonic 14-45 kit zoom (which is very highly regarded) if a little slower in terms of apeture.

To be honest, I think a lot of people are waiting for a native micro 4/3 "pro spec" shortish zoom similar to the famous zuiko 12-60 2.8-4, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.