1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Pen EP1 w/Panasonic/Leica digital lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by snookems, Sep 2, 2010.

1. snookems

snookems New to Mu-43

Sep 2, 2010
    Forgive my naivete, but I just bought a Oly ep1 and want to know if it will auto focus with the Panasonic 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 OIS Four Thirds Lens strapped on it. I know I'll need an adaptor but will it be manual focus only or will the camera operate it?

Thanks for any help.

2. akulya

akulya Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2010
    Hello Snookems and welcome to the forum!

Why not drop by the Introductions thread and introduce yourself?

I don't own either of the 4/3 Panasonic-Leica zooms, but I understand that they do autofocus, albeit rather slowly as they are optimised for a phase detect rather than contrast detect system; also the micro 4/3 bodies will need the rather expensive 4/3->micro4/3 adapter.

My understanding is that unless you already own one of these lenses, or can get hold of one and the adapter for a very good price; the size and weight of them combined with the slow autofocus makes them really less attractive than the native micro 4/3 panasonic 14-45 kit zoom (which is very highly regarded) if a little slower in terms of apeture.

To be honest, I think a lot of people are waiting for a native micro 4/3 "pro spec" shortish zoom similar to the famous zuiko 12-60 2.8-4, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

• Like Like x 1