Pen E-PL1 with "Big Gun" Canon 200/4 FD Macro

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by naturecloseups, Aug 21, 2010.

1. naturecloseups

naturecloseups Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    Finally all set up to use the Canon FD 200mm/f4 Macro using the Novoflex MFTCAN adapter.

Using this is rewarding but not easy. A macro lens with angle of view equivalent to a 400mm lens on 35mm is unwieldly to say the least. One has to get used to a certain flavor or zone focusing -- estimating the subject distance and setting the focus right to that approximate guess then pointing it around to spot the subject -- is necessary.

And BTW -- the VF-2 EVF is awesome in real life use too. Today was the first day out with the VF-2.

Here are a couple from today's keepers using this lens -- uncropped full-frame as ever. The lens has a subtle "bite" that is difficult to explain -- less contrast than the 105/4 micro nikkor but nearly as sharp - is how I would put it.

Also, the "unwieldlyness" is more than made up for by the sheer ability of subject isolation due to narrow AoV. It may not look that way but both subjects below were inside thick undergrowth.

Ringlet butterfly

Banana Skipper feasting on bird dropping -- nearing the end of its life and a bit worse for wear like the previous one, but at least the wing is not as chipped as the last one

• Like Like x 19
  2. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    Don't know about the lens but that is one nice tripod and ball head.
  3. naturecloseups

Jun 10, 2010
    Still using the 200mm/f4 Canon FD Macro. Today was a particularly bad day. Too much wind, too much rain, too bad light -- there's nothing that was good. Just a handful of keepers in nearly 6 hours.

The only consolation was the lens. The working distance is nothing "short" (pardon the pun) of enjoyable!

Yellow Skipper

Common Indian Tree Frog, in very dull lighting before evening

Brown Skipper

• Like Like x 14
  4. ASA 32

ASA 32 Mu-43 Regular

Awesome setup, even more awesome images!
  5. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Thank you very much for showing! Now I know, that I must have an adapter for my 200mm macro!
  6. Mongrello

Mongrello New to Mu-43

Aug 29, 2010
    very very interesting pictures, well done!

i wonder too which tripod and sphere u r using
    can u give us some details on it?
  7. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Nice pics, thanks for sharing - and the camera looks intimidating with that lens!
  8. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    These are Beautiful and well worth the effort and considerable time you took to capture them.
  9. naturecloseups

Jun 10, 2010
    Thanks everyone, still coping with the paradigm shift from SLRs to m4/3 but I think I'm getting there ..

Mongrello, the tripod is a Gitzo Explorer G2228 4-section carbon fiber tripod, the ballhead is the Acratech Ultimate V1.

And of course, the 200mm macro continues to be the best lens for "pulling out" subjects hidden away behind leaves and bushes.

Grasshopper tucked away inside a bush

• Like Like x 9
  10. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Stunning photographs.
  11. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Great photos!

I always though that such a long macro lens would be nigh on useless. Obviously my assumption is incorrect. I was going to save my pennies for the Panny 45/2.8 macro but this will cause me to reconsider my approach. Of course the answer is both ;)
  12. Mongrello

Mongrello New to Mu-43

Aug 29, 2010
    awsome pics really!

this is even better!:rofl::rofl:
  13. MichaelJC

MichaelJC Mu-43 Regular

Thanks so much for posting your setup and some samples. I was having a hard time finding much info on using this lens on m43. I'm looking for something to improve on the 4/3 70-300 for macro. That's a great lens with great working distance but I'd like to get a little sharper, a little closer and pull out more detail. For full size butterfly and dragonfly shots the 70-300 is great, but try to get in close for eye detail or shoot something smaller like a damselfly and I can't get the detail I want. It looks like the FD 200 might be worth me trying...if I can find one at the right price :)
  14. ckrueger

ckrueger Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Wow, that's a heck of a macro lens! Great photos especially considering how tricky it can be to shoot with a long macro lens like that. Great DOF control.
  15. romzL

romzL Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    great macro shots! i would say that those images are really sharp! how far are you from the insects when you shot them? can this macro lens do more than 1:1 magnification? thanks for sharing :)
  16. backpacker

backpacker Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Great macro shots.
    Can you tell me exactly what model of FD 200mm lens is this?
    Want to buy one.
  17. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Long macro == long working distance. Absolutely necessary if the subject is a skittish bug.

Of course the other option (I don't do this) is to gas and preserve the bug (as if for a collection) then take it back to natural surroundings for a reshoot. Then you can take all the time you want. ;-)
  18. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    The last part is the important factor. Inspired by NC(most of my macro gear was suggested by him and he is spot on) I have tried a lot on ebay and craigslist, but haven't found anything that was affordable.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Great shots. Thanks for sharing!

Are these single shot, or focus stacked?
  20. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    I guess they're all single shots. AFAIK, NC doesn't stack photographs :smile:. His technique is impeccable.