1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PEN E-PL1 or Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sh_ksa, Sep 5, 2012.

1. sh_ksa

sh_ksa New to Mu-43

Sep 5, 2012
    Greetings all,

Can you help me decide on whether to buy PEN E-PL1 or Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V or any of the other high end ponit and shoot cameras?

sony will cost me around 410USD
    EPL1 body + M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 II 300USD

What I’m looking for is to be able to take good pics of my jumping around daughter. I’m sick and tired of my Sony cyber shot DCS 170W.

I like the Sony because it has so many features and has good video recording capability.
    And I don’t have to buy lenses or buy flash it is all in one cam but I’m afraid that it will not give what I want.

The PEN E-PL1 has better quality but less features and I may need to buy lenses and flash to take full advantage if the cam and I’m not sure that it would be a big deffernce of the sony.
    I don’t mind spending extra money on the PEN if it will give what I’m looking for.
    Thanks for your advice in advance.

2. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    It all comes down to whether you want the ability to change lenses down the road or not. If you just going to use the kit lens and not invest in some fast primes, then I don't see much sense in buying the Pl1.

Both cameras have high shutter speeds (sony goes higher though) and both produce images that look good up to ISO 1600 IMO. With the kit lens on the pl1, they will give you similar performance. They are both leaps ahead of your 170w. I suggest you pick up the Sony first, try it out, and see if it gives you what you want since its already has a flash and a megazoom lens. If not, then look at other options.

3. sh_ksa

sh_ksa New to Mu-43

Sep 5, 2012
    Actually I just came from a shop after I tried the Sony shooting my daughter while she was moving and plying around and I found the pictures Ok and better that my old Sony camera but not satisfactory. I tried it in the sport scene mode

I didn’t have the chance to try the PEN yet

My daughter is two years old now and I really regret that I was not able to take good pictures of her in the past and I don’t want to miss more . I saw some pictures taken of my daughter by Nikon I think it is N7000 and the pictures were very good. I hope I can get what I want without having to buy a DSLR

any other suggestions in which camera I should get?

thanks for your reply

4. OPSSam

OPSSam Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2010
    NC
    Well, the E-PL1 is more DSLR than point and shoot. And honestly the E-PL1's 2+ year old tech is not going to impress you when compared to the E-PM1, which would be something I might suggest for a P&S user moving up to the 'bigger' high quality cameras. The focus speed and newer lens on the PM1 are worth the extra cost, IMHO.

5. sh_ksa

sh_ksa New to Mu-43

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm going to check it, thanks for the advice

6. RobertinArabia

RobertinArabia Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    Hi,
    To make sure you get the shot you want with either camera, I suggest you use a burst mode and takeseveral pcitures at a time. Alternatively, the Nikon ! models never miss a shot.

7. sh_ksa

sh_ksa New to Mu-43

Sep 5, 2012
    Thanks Robart,
    this is what I do sometimes.
    I realy want the peace of mined and I don't want to miss and hit.
    I have never bean satisfaied with the compact cams before it always disappoint me even after many years since my old cams I bought.
    I'm trying to avoid getting DSLR by looking in the highend P&S or mirrorless.

how abour sony NEX 5N, G1X from Canon or GF2 from Panasoinc.

thanks and please execuse my spelling :)