1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

PEN E-PL1: Anyone noticed this?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by naturecloseups, Aug 19, 2010.

1. naturecloseups

naturecloseups Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    I am noticing something strange with my E-PL1. When I have anti-shock mode turned on and the built-in flash popped up, the flash actually fires twice when the shutter release is pressed. I have left the flash settings at factory default.

The flash fires once just before the anti-shock duration kicks in and the LV blacks out.

The flash fires again when the exposure starts.

Is the first flash actually the preflash for metering -- and it has to fire before the LV blackout because the reading is taken off the sensor? If it is indeed the preflash -- it actually looks way too strong.

Anyone noticed this with their E-PL1 or other Oly m4/3 bodies that support anti-shock? What could be the explanation for this?

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Red eye reduction perhaps? Timings may change with VR on.

Gordon

3. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I can't answer specifically in regard to the EPL1 as I don't have mine yet but most cameras use the preflash to set flash duration in order to make sure the flash exposes correctly.

4. Blu-by-u

Blu-by-u Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Was using the E-PL1 at a party with the FL36R attach. The P setting had the speed at very low of 1/3 sometimes 1/6 sec. The flash is set to auto and then forced on and I still have this slow shutter speed. I had to use S and set the flash speed to 1/160. Why is this so?

In my previous E-30 and E-330, I just set it to P and the camera automatically sets to the maximum flash speed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.