1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

PEN E-PL1: Anyone noticed this?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by naturecloseups, Aug 19, 2010.

1. naturecloseups

naturecloseups Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2010
    I am noticing something strange with my E-PL1. When I have anti-shock mode turned on and the built-in flash popped up, the flash actually fires twice when the shutter release is pressed. I have left the flash settings at factory default.

The flash fires once just before the anti-shock duration kicks in and the LV blacks out.

The flash fires again when the exposure starts.

Is the first flash actually the preflash for metering -- and it has to fire before the LV blackout because the reading is taken off the sensor? If it is indeed the preflash -- it actually looks way too strong.

Anyone noticed this with their E-PL1 or other Oly m4/3 bodies that support anti-shock? What could be the explanation for this?

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Red eye reduction perhaps? Timings may change with VR on.

Gordon

3. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I can't answer specifically in regard to the EPL1 as I don't have mine yet but most cameras use the preflash to set flash duration in order to make sure the flash exposes correctly.

4. Blu-by-u

Blu-by-u Mu-43 Regular

Aug 16, 2010
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Was using the E-PL1 at a party with the FL36R attach. The P setting had the speed at very low of 1/3 sometimes 1/6 sec. The flash is set to auto and then forced on and I still have this slow shutter speed. I had to use S and set the flash speed to 1/160. Why is this so?

In my previous E-30 and E-330, I just set it to P and the camera automatically sets to the maximum flash speed.