1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pen E-P7 with built-in EVF?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by drd1135, Feb 18, 2014.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  2. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    And for once - surprisingly - no buyer's remorse having bought an E-P5 in the last month or so.

What they're rumouring is exactly what I'd originally wanted (the E-M* internals in a GX7 form factor) but I find using the VF-4 completely vertical with the body below and dead-centre, while holding the lenses for support, more comfortable than having my face so far left.

Guess rangefinders weren't for me.

• Like Like x 1
  3. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I don't see it happening. Too much like the E-M10 in that case, and they lose the opportunity to sell more external VFs.

4. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I am waiting for my E-P5 to arrive in the mail today!

I too don't see a built-in EVF happening, but I want the PEN line to continue on!

5. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Looks very interesting.

6. Johbremat

Johbremat Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    No doubt it'll definitely generate interest, and dare I say sales, as well as grasping some of the GX7's share of the pie with the 5-axis IBIS and for those that consider the VFs an extraneous accessory.

The loss of the flash may deter some, though. It doesn't do too much for me personally, but it's there if I need it in a pinch.

Come to think of it, does anyone know off the top of their head if the E-P5's flash can act as a trigger?

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    A built-in EVF would be great, and probably the one thing that would convince me to spring for high-end Pen, rather than the GX7. Somehow, I'm still a tad skeptical though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Am I the only one who doesn't want an EVF on the PEN line? If they could some how make it like the Sony and Fujis where it's flush to the body then I'm all for it. But if it protrudes out like the GX7, no thank you. The EVF of the E-M5 wasn't as bad but annoying enough.

If this happens I'll have to stock up on E-P5s so I'll have a nice back up. :/

• Like Like x 3
  9. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Yes, the flash can act like a trigger!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    It's kind of late in the game, after all the similar Sony , Fuji, and now Panasonic models, but I guess they would know better what sells. If I had to guess, it would be a premium build model priced appropriately so as to address a different market segment than PENs.

11. Mytola

Mytola Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    An EVF in the corner would be a very nice addition. For me, a camera without an EVF is a useless camera.

• Like Like x 1
  12. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Agree, at least ship with two eye cups, on big, one flush. Also it better have an eye sensor, nothing worse than having to manually switch.

13. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Especially since it was a thousand dollars. I know people here love this camera, but I didn't really get it . . .

14. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Looks like a Photoshop mashup of the E-P5 with GX7 VF, but I'll play... I would like to see a PEN with a corner EVF as long as they can keep the built-in flash to act as a commander. No need for the EVF to tilt as long as the screen does, hopefully that would help it remain flush with the back rather than jutting out.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If Panasonic's done it like this with their GX-7, then I think it hard to imagine that Olympus won't. :)

16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Just like how Panasonic added an electronic shutter in the G5, and Olympus put it in their E-M5? :smile:

17. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Have a look at Blunty's interview with Mr. Terada from Olympus. Their philosophy is that for a permanent VF the best shooting experience is having it dead centre, hence why they only put permanent EVFs on OM-D style bodies.

• Like Like x 1
  18. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I agree with fin. Looks like a PS merged GX7 VF in place of the flash. Not holding my breath. I like the idea, even if I could not afford one.

19. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I gave up on my Pens for anything but pretty much happy snaps because of the lack of a built-in EVF. The separate viewfinder was simply too awkward for me to use, as it was always coming off or getting caught in things (especially not the best in the bush ie forests etc). A corner EVF should have been introduced very early in the piece and I've always wondered why it wasn't.

20. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Image quality of the E-M5, with 8000 shutter speed, Wi-Fi, focus peaking, and a smaller body. IMO, aside from the E-M1, it's still the top M43 camera.

• Like Like x 3