1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Pen E-P2 High ISO Picture Quality

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rijesh, Nov 13, 2011.

1. rijesh

rijesh Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Hi all,

Is there anyway that you can improve the picture quality on the E-P2 during high ISO? I know whenever I take images at high ISOs there is a lot of noise.

What would you recommend for Noise Filter and Noise Reduction settings?

Thanks.

2. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    I use Lightroom on mine. What annoys me is how much noise there is at ISO 200, let alone anything higher, but then I'm probably spoilt by being used to a 5D (albeit only a mark one).

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    At what ISO level are you talking about?

4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I have an EP2 and stating that: "What annoys me is how much noise there is at ISO 200", is really an exaggeration. I think that "how much noise" is really a subjective thing and I don't think the Ep2 is that bad like this statement suggests.

That said, to improve picture quality at high iso you can use the usual methods: expose properly, use a tripod if possible for longer exposures, try not to use all that high iso etc. etc.

OR

buy a FF:biggrin:

5. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    I did mention I was spoilt by my 5D, but I am surprised at the noise performance of my Pen considering the size of the sensor. I expected better but luckily Lightroom does deal with it well.

6. rijesh

rijesh Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    I was talking about ISO 1600 and up.
    For those of you with the E-P2 what do you recommend i should leave the on-board camera settings at?

7. I've shot quite a few christmas lights at ISO 3,200. Looked very good using the Panyy 20MM 1.7.
    Link to one on Flickr: Welcome to Flickr!

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Well, I hope you're trying to compare with the GH2 or G3 here.....:redface:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.