1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Pen E-P2 High ISO Picture Quality

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by rijesh, Nov 13, 2011.

1. rijesh

rijesh Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    Hi all,

Is there anyway that you can improve the picture quality on the E-P2 during high ISO? I know whenever I take images at high ISOs there is a lot of noise.

What would you recommend for Noise Filter and Noise Reduction settings?

Thanks.

2. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    I use Lightroom on mine. What annoys me is how much noise there is at ISO 200, let alone anything higher, but then I'm probably spoilt by being used to a 5D (albeit only a mark one).

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    At what ISO level are you talking about?

4. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I have an EP2 and stating that: "What annoys me is how much noise there is at ISO 200", is really an exaggeration. I think that "how much noise" is really a subjective thing and I don't think the Ep2 is that bad like this statement suggests.

That said, to improve picture quality at high iso you can use the usual methods: expose properly, use a tripod if possible for longer exposures, try not to use all that high iso etc. etc.

OR

buy a FF:biggrin:

5. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    I did mention I was spoilt by my 5D, but I am surprised at the noise performance of my Pen considering the size of the sensor. I expected better but luckily Lightroom does deal with it well.

6. rijesh

rijesh Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2011
    I was talking about ISO 1600 and up.
    For those of you with the E-P2 what do you recommend i should leave the on-board camera settings at?

7. I've shot quite a few christmas lights at ISO 3,200. Looked very good using the Panyy 20MM 1.7.
    Link to one on Flickr: Welcome to Flickr!

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Well, I hope you're trying to compare with the GH2 or G3 here.....:redface: