PEN E-P1 FLASH options

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by brianvickers, Sep 26, 2011.

1. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    I need a small flash for my PEN,
    looking at the FL14 and FL20 which don't have any any bounce options, or the Metz AF-1 - which has a bounce reflector.

Can you recommend any others...or do you have any experience of the above combinations...I must have a bounce facility as a minimum and guide number of 12 or above.

Many thanks
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What about the Olympus FL-36R or Panasonic DMW-FL360?
  3. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    thanks Ned, hadn't seen the Panasonic...I will investigate.

I'm looking for something the 270EX that I use on my 50D.....but that wont work on the Pen?
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    It'll work in manual with any single-contact trigger, like a PC-Sync cable, radio trigger, or optical slave eye.
  5. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    The Panasonic is an exact replica of the FL-36, and generally sells for more money.

I use an FL-36 on my E-P1, it's a little bit on the large side compared to the E-P1 body but it works well and I appreciate the bounce/rotate features.
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Remember also that there are two versions of the Olympus flash... the FL-36 is the original (now discontinued) with no optical trigger, while the FL-36R has an optical sensor which can be triggered by the Olympus Remote Commander (built into most Olympus pop-up flashes or the new slip-on flash that comes with the E-PL3/E-PM1) or as a dumb slave by any flash present.

The FL-36 (non-R version) should be found cheaply, if it can be found.
  7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Panasonic is the true manufacturer of the Olympus flash. In fact, they produce flashes for many other camera makers too.

But it doesn't change the fact that those two flashes are nearly identical and that the Olympus costs less.
  8. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Hmmmmm.... I believe the flash is made by a third party to the 4/3 & m43 standards for both Pany & Oly.
  9. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    There is the FL-300R as well, the new flash for the pen series, guide no 28 and bounce.
  10. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    FL-36R is good or maybe the best compromise between size, features and cost. I have one for my E-P1 and FL20 too but that's not very good, it's only small.