Pelican Cases - replacement foam?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by crashwins, Nov 13, 2013.

1. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Grabbing some sweet used Pelican cases on craigslist, but the guy had some very odd shapes cut into them. Going cheap here so I'd love some ideas on replacement foam. I've head Fabric stores, Walmart for mattress toppers, etc -- Pelican foam is very expensive, even more than my cases!

Some concerns, what foam would damage my gear; I've read that storing electronics in such cases is bad -- true?

Here's an example:
  2. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
  3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I never heard of it being bad for electronics, not if you are using the correct foam at least.

Here are the links to the place where I get my foam. It is top quality, at a great price but you do have to cut it to fit.

Straight foam in firm and regular densities

Pick and pluck foam in regular density
    • Like Like x 1
  4. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Awesome. Those links look great. Some ppl were spewing about it being bad for guns, cameras, etc. obviously I need it for the latter. The density foam is good in your opinion? Thanks!
  5. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I don't know what case you got, but for my 1510 I had the pick-n-pluck, but I later got the divider set and it's SO, SO much better for camera gear.
  6. speedandstyle

Storage, especially any long time storage does need to have desiccant added. Maybe this is where people have the idea that foam is bad. I do know that some foam can build static charge and that isn't good for electronics but this foam is formulated to not have static.

I like the firm, high density foam for the bottom layer with the regular foam{same weight as Pelican uses} for the main support. But you can use the firm for all if you prefer.
  7. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    I highly recommend foam factory - I have used their stuff before. You might also check ebay as foam factory sells smaller "scraps" on ebay (I think ebay id is foambymail). Their scraps are still fairly big - they list the dimensions.
  8. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    OK, here is the skinny on foam and electronics.
    Foam is an insulator; meaning that it has very high resistivity - in the gigaohm range. That's billions of ohms. It will NOT conduct electricity. VERY bad.

When rubbed (a phenomenon called tribo-electrification) against the same type of foam or other insulative materials such as the plastics (polymers) on camera and lens bodies, static electricity is generated: tens of thousands of volts DC and of sufficient levels to smoke sensitive electronic components. This is the same voltage that is generated when synthetic garments are tumble-dried in a typical clothes dryer.

Be careful with foam in this application.

I have a background in electrical engineering and I currently work in a state-of-the-art electrical/electronic manufacturing environment. One of my primary duties is electrostatic discharge (ESD) preventive measures.
  9. speedandstyle

Foam Factory has several sites and they are very different looking.

The one I originally linked to is not as refined looking as the other but it is easier to find what you want and order{it may be their store site and the other is for general use?}. They also sell on ebay under the user name of "foambymail" just as snaimpally said.

There is also a different company that has the URL "" but they sell hard foam architectural pieces.