Peeking Out

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Jman, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    This is with my newly acquired (for $15) Vivitar 200mm f/3.5, wide open on the GH2.

• Like Like x 5
  2. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Nice Jordan. Wonderful bohek. Just a suggestion ... you nearly bisected the image half bird and half wonderful creamy background. I recommend less flamingo or a lot less background. Problem with a 50:50 split is that neither side is dominate and both sides tend to distract from the other. On my monitor the bird is a bit flat. I'd turn up the contrast a wee bit then hit the eye, ever so slightly, with the dodge tool set on highlights. This will give that eye some pop.

Then I'd print this sucker 16x20.
  3. That is very appealing indeed. When I first saw it I loved it, so when I read what Gary suggested about the crop I thought "Well, I know that's the theory, but I prefer it just like it is". But I had to try Gary's suggestion of cutting back on the background just to prove I was right about my preference. Well, I wasn't. If you are so inclined I'm sure you'll try Gary's suggestions for yourself and see what you prefer.:smile:

I also agree with Gary about the flatness. Here is the histogram.

Strictly speaking I suppose there isn't a gap at the top, but it is so thin and full of "holes" at the top end that to me it strongly suggests pulling the top in to the left, as illustrated by the white point triangle position, the amount depending on taste. Were you to try this I think you would find that this makes the colours and contrasts, and hence the picture, even better.

Terrific image. Well spotted and executed. And thanks for sharing it.
  4. raysa_j

raysa_j New to Mu-43

Aug 26, 2011
    that's a very nice picture