1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Peeking in the door from the Pentax room....

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by coaltrain, Nov 22, 2011.

1. coaltrain

coaltrain New to Mu-43

Nov 22, 2011
    As I have bounced around the room in Pentax land for some time, I find myself peeking in the door of the M4/3 land.

While I love my Pentax DSLR's and lenses, I've found my way to stick my toe in the water with the M4/3 system. I have a new G2 and 100-300 Panny lens being delivered tomorrow.

I purposely chose the G2 for my trial. I've been doing some intense reading here on the forum and elsewhere the past couple days and came to the conclusion that the GH2 would fit me best. But, when I saw the G2 for $300 at B&H, I thought it might be better to go that route for starters as I am not sure I will take to the system. The plan is if all goes well that I will pass the G2 on to my wife and get myself that great GH2.

The only lens I will have to start will be the 100/300. I came about this lens in a trade deal with another forum member that netted both of us a lens we were seeking. I already have an idea of other lenses I would like to try, but don't want to dive it too much until I get a feel for the camera.

I love exploring new things - especially photography equipment. I am really hoping that I like the camera. But....then might come a decision of weather to stay APS-C or go all in with the M4/3.

• Like Like x 5
  2. robertmwilliams

robertmwilliams Mu-43 Regular

I too am a Pentaxian (K1000, K20D, K7 and K-r) who loves the m4/3.
    I think you will like the G2, it is a great handling camera.
    It has more external controls than the newer G3 and is a joy to use.
    The biggest change may be the EVF. Once you get used to it you may find it hard to go back to an OVF.
    Since I love old manual focus lenses (including some of my Pentax cache) the manual focus assist along with the EVF is a dream come true.
    One word of warning however. Since there are mount adapters from almost any lens mount to m4/3, LBA can be a serious problem :biggrin:
    Welcome to the world of m4/3 !

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    you could always buy a used 20/1.7 so you arent all tele/slow
    then you could resell it if you dislike it, and still get prolly 95% of what you paid

4. Basset

Basset Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2011
    I am also a Pentaxian, looking at m 4/3 only to have a smaller, less conspicuous camera for street photography. I have a Pentax k-r which, with the 21 mm pancake lens, is pretty small. But the shutter is loud, and I am still looking for something a little DSLR-ish. Also, a tilt screen would be very helpful. Right now I seem zeroed in on the Olympus E-PL3, which edges out (for me) the E-P3 only by the tilt screen. I am fairly surprised, however, by the high price of the new PEN cameras - they compare to the K-r, which seems like much better value for the cost.

I stuck on deciding whether to $ and trade up my K-r for a K-5, which is hovering around $1k right now, and then go with the Olympus after the new year, when the price drops . . . if Olympus does not disappear.

I am surprised there is relatively little talk about the E-PL3, because it has the same sensor and autofocus as the E-P3, but has that really great tilt screen.

I think my only real options for new models m 4/3 with articulating screen are the E-PL3, the G3, and the GH2. I keep looking at the Olympus because I think has the fastest autofocus, and I want the fastest I can afford.

5. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    Speaking of Pentax, I was able to hold (but not turn on) the Pentax 645D. Oh my god, I feel like I'd be drooling. It was a gem to hold, the controls and ergonomics just feel right, and it's actually not that heavy. If only Pentax get it together and make this a proper system medium format camera and supply more lenses as make it able to tether to a computer so I can do some fashion shoots with it.

What a beauty!!!

6. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    The G3 and the GH2 both have faster AF than the E-P3 and the E-PL3.

7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Funny, there's a guy on PentaxForums.com with the exact same story. :2thumbs:

I've got a Panasonic GF2, GH1, GH2, and a Pentax K-5. My wife has a K-x. If I go street, I take the Olympus XA! Ok, that's cheating. I'd take the K-5 + DA21 because it's got the quietest shutter, besides the XA. Size is important, but in some situations, silence is more important. The Panasonics are as loud as the K-x

The newly announced GX1 sounds nice, but I'm going to hold off until Panasonic implements a quieter shutter, hopefully a global one.

8. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    I wonder how many people are "peaking in the door" from the NEX room.

9. Probably as many who can't decide "weather" to move on from Pentax!

Truth be told, there are no bad cameras, just the best set of compromises for the times.

If I was adding a DSLR to my small collection, I'd be looking very hard at Pentax.

10. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    if i was insane and thought a dslr was a good idea for my needs, id be freaking out and ordering a k5 and some of those sexy little DA(?) lenses for it

11. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Another Pentaxian here who's also a big micro four-thirds fan. I still have my K200D and my K-5 and plan to keep them - at least for a while. But I have my G3 and E-PM1 and love them. APS-C and micro four thirds are not mutually exclusive. This is only a theory here... but I'll bet more Pentaxians are running micro cour-thirds kits as well than owners of most other DSLR brands.