Peaking Coming for EM5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by klee, Jan 30, 2014.

1. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX

"Cameras Reviewed reports:

E-M5 owners should note that Olympus tells us a firmware update is on the way to enable focus peaking, bringing the original OM-D more in line with its new baby brother.

UPDATE: TJ Donegan from Camera.reviewed updated their statement:

Just to be clear, we were told this specifically during our briefing at CES on the E-M10. We asked them twice and they confirmed that it was coming. In the normal reporting process we go through while reviewing the E-M10 we reached out to Olympus reps to double-check this fact and were told that it will not be in the next update, but that it could still be included in future updates We’ve updated the review accordingly.

As a side note I can tell you that an anonymous source told me that Sony first didn’t allow Olympus to use peaking mode on their sensor. Now that Olympus and Sony are official partners this has changed. I don’t know if what the anonymous source told me here is correct. But we can expect some great thing from the partnership anyway ;)"
    • Like Like x 2
  2. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Maybe i just love my magnified manual view when I touch my manual dial...but I have yet to use either focus peaking on my E-M1 or GM1. Seems not accurate...or I have trust issues.
    Still, great that Oly hasn't forgotten a very popular cam...
  3. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Great news.

I am quite happy with small focus point update. The "Low" ISO is a nice to have as well. Nice that they are finally getting 'round to this, as I've now turned the corner and settled in quite nicely with my EM-5.

4. IDLookout

IDLookout Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2012
    Northern Idaho
    I'm looking forward to Focus Peaking and trying it out on my 200f4 and Vivitar 70-210. I never did try the workaround peaking trick.
  5. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    The workaround with Key Line art filter works fine except when I try to review pictures on the go :p

I might get another legacy 50 mm if peaking gets released.
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    The explanation is pretty weird (why would Sony not let them use the mode? Sony Semiconductor is in the business of selling chips. Deliberately crippling their own design only hurts their sales). Hopefully though the rumor is right - a lot of folks are waiting for focus peaking. I guess it won't help E-P5 sales, but you can't have everything...
  7. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Yay, all you manual focus weirdos can stop complaining soon :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I went from m4/3s to NEX for a while and at the time I was sure focus peaking was a huge improvement. Having come back to m4/3 I was surprised at how little I missed it (not even using the art filter trick).

Hopefully the Sony/Oly relationship will someday yield Sony-quality video in Olympus cameras.
  9. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Hmm - I have not found focus peaking to be of great advantage on my E-M1: it is difficult very often to see exactly where those tiny white dots are, the view is darkened with the mode enabled and the framerate reduces drastically. I have switched over to using magnified mode for my single manual lens, the 7.5mm fisheye.
  10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Having recently bought an E-P5, I'm in the same camp as many here in thinking that focus peeking on the Oly bodies is pretty useless. Let's be honest:

- The frame rate when peeking is very slow
    - The white line is hard to see in many lighting situations
    - Accuracy is doubtful - I find I can move the focus ring a lot while the peeking overlay is still telling me it's focused

Personally, I'd rather they added Myset assignment to the mode dial. I use my camera in different ways according to what I'm shooting and it's WAY quicker to do this by simply moving the mode dial than by pressing Menu,right,down,right,up/down 'n' times,enter,up,enter (the key sequence to select a Myset).
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I've been looking for a camera with live view exposure through the EVF and focus peaking to use with legacy glass. I considered the E-M1, but crossed it off my list for exactly the reason you mention regarding the drop in frame rate. In the end I went with an X-E1 (just this past week) because $1399 was just too much for such a lackluster MF experience. Now if that same peaking was available on a camera for half the price that offered everything else the E-M5 does I might have gone that way.
  12. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I hope Olympus does release a focus peaking update for the E-M5. I would have bought one by now if it had it. If it isn't out by this summer I will get an E-M10 instead. I do hope that Olympus improves their peaking however as white isn't the best color. Red works much better and I see Sony and Fuji have other color options as well. In case you haven't seen it the new Fuji has a split view option for focusing where it shows both the normal view and the magnified view, yet another idea for focus assist.
  13. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I wonder if this is the same reason Panasonic did not put peaking into their GH3 (Sony sensor), but have no problems putting in the G6 and GX7 (Panny sensor).
  14. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    hmmm, if this is only the beef with SOny about the sensor, and if the OMD line (EM-5 and EM-10) shares the sensor with the Pen line (at least PL-5 and PM-2), does this mean they too get the firmware update?

Although i don't see the focus peaking (at least the way it's incorporated now) as a major thing. I can't see a thing with those white lines. Make it red/green/blue or adjustable.
  15. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

You need to remember that this is Japan we're talking about, a country where a gentleman's word is still his bond in those levels. In fact, apparently a gentleman's word can also affect a company's reported losses and earnings values as well :)

"- So you can use our sensors Orinpasu, but we do peaking in our cameras now. If you do this in your cameras, we will be very cross. Please hold off for some time.
    - OK Sonī, you have my word."
    • Like Like x 1
  16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    This probably explains many of the seemingly odd camera design issues we observe. As Gary Trudeau once noted, in American businesses, ethics are a useful bargaining tool.
  17. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Interesting to read the two comments about EM1 focus peaking being nothing special. I'd like to see it added to the EM5 so I could compare.

I have the key-line art filter work around set up as a MYSET that I can call up on a function button in both my EPL5 and EM5. Magnify for me is more accurate, but sometimes having a wider view is better, like when hand holding a long legacy lens has too much image shake or when using the fisheye. Then the fake peaking is useful, but it helps to know what you are looking at.
  18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    One of the underreported limitations of focus peaking for me has been precision. It's good for quickly getting approximate focus, but for getting focus exactly on the right point I've just not found it anywhere near as effective as using magnified view. For casual uses or video (low resolution) I guess that's not an issue though.
  19. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama, USA
    Now that Olympus and Sony are financially connected maybe Sony is releasing Olympus from it's former restrictions? So the more cameras Olympus can sell the more money Sony makes.
  20. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Hi Dara!

The problem that I have with magnified view is holding the thing steady. I solved the problem by putting my Nikon 50mm on the shelf and buying an Olympus 45mm :biggrin:.

I still have a couple of manual focus lenses that I'd like to try with focus peaking...if the Olympus Gods deem us poor E-M5 owners worthy.

Actually I'd like a split prism if they'd give me my druthers :thumbup:.

I'm just too old and creaky to hold the magnified view and focus simultaneously.