Peak Designs Leash Ultralight for OM-D E-M5ii?

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
I have a Peak Designs Slide Lite in use on my OM-D E-M1 and that marries with the camera pretty well; well maybe a touch to big really.

Anyway I now have a second body, an OM-D E-M5ii and I am looking for a strap for it. The Peak Designs Slide Lite is differently overkill in my view for this body but I see Peak Designs have a strap called the Leash Ultralight which is 19mm wide [compared to the Slide Lite at 32mm]. Length is all good with both straps.

l-hero_2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Source: Peak Designs

Anyone have experience with the Leash Ultralight particular with "smaller" bodies such as the O-MD E-M5 or O-MD E-M5ii? Other suggestions on a strap which would work well with the E-M5ii?

Thanks in advance.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
I just use a PD wrist strap mainly now for my E-P5. Only use the Slide Lite every so often.

If it is only for safety the PD wrist strap is worth a look.
Cuff

Regards

dsac

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Denny
Hi Andrew,

I bought the Leash Ultralight for my O-MD E-M5II first because I wanted things to be light and I thought that this would be ideal compared to the Slide Camera Sling (SLIDE Lite was not available yet when I made the decision to purchase the Ultralight). After using it for about 6 months, I also decided to purchase the Slide Lite when that became available.

Below are my Pros and Cons from the Ultralight perspective:

Pros:
- The Leash Ultralight is very small and it does not take up a lot of space in your camera bag.
- The leash is reasonably comfortable for me when I am using the relative light weight lenses I have (for example, 17mm f1.8, 60mm Macro, or the 40-150mm f4.0-5.6)
- It was cheaper than the Slide Camera Sling (because the Slide Lite was not available yet at that time) and it is also cheaper than the Slide Lite.

Cons
- The Ultralight strap width was a bit too narrow and it felt quite uncomfortable when I had my heavier lenses on my camera (i.e. 12-40mm PRO or 40-150mm PRO).
Especially, when you don't have anything providing you extra padding in the neck area in the form of a collared shirt or jacket. During long use (2+ hours) it felt like the strap was cutting into my neck
when the camera was equipped with the heavier lenses.
- It was also not so easy to adjust the length on the Ultralight when you compare that to the Designs Slide Lite strap quick-adjusters.
I do love the aluminum quick-adjusters on the Peak Designs Strap.

I do agree that the strap is wider on the SLIDE Lite than what I would have liked but I am willing to accept that because it is much more comfortable for long use when you have heavier lenses attached. What I also learned is that the SLIDE Lite takes up more space in my camera bag because it is quite bulkier compared to the Ultralight.

Hope that this will help you in making an informed decision.

Regards,

Denny

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have the Slide (Lite was not available, and didn't realize they had Leash, and underestimated the width of the Slide :)) and Leash. I think the Leash is perfect size wise. Before, I was using 3/8" nylon webbing. It worked and dirt cheap, but dug in a bit too much after a while. And yeah, it's harder to adjust... I actually did not find that feature as useful as I thought for myself.

I didn't have too much of an issue with the 40-150 Pro. I haven't done 2hr sessions with it though, more like an hour of use.. a lot of that time shooting or just holding the camera so it didn't bug me. I don't shoot with the lens often enough.

I will say the triglide does feel like it gets in the way sometimes. I'm not really sure why it bugs me more than other straps.

Last edited:

Thoren

Mu-43 Rookie
I've had this strap for a couple years. You can loop one end of it to your belt or a pole for use as a makeshift stabilizer as well, or as a security strap to prevent dropping your camera.

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
I've used a Leash for several years, first on a G2, then a G5 and now on an EM10. I've always found it comfortable.

I also have a Slide Lite now. I really like adjusting the length on the fly, but is more awkward in the bag.

I also take the strap off frequently. The Leash can go in my pocket. The Slide Lite can't.
Fred

spdavies

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Stephen
Have used the Leash for over a year with all varieties of bodies and lenses (inc. E-M1 & 40-150 Pro).
Never had a problem with it being too narrow,
but then I don't walk around with the camera hanging very much either,
especially with a heavy rig.
What I like most is its ability to get out of the way when I'm stowing it -
on the camera in the bag or in my pocket.

Aushiker

Super Moderator
Real Name
Andrew
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and in particular @dsac for your very comprehensive reply. This is going to my second body/bike touring/hiking camera so will mostly likely only get used with smaller/lighter lenses in the main. Going on the comments I think the Leash Ultralight is worth a try out at least.

Thanks again.

Always

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Arthur
I don't know the price in Australia, I paid HK$550 for this strip. Again, love it. Haven't check the price for Peak Design. Will check it out once I bought the new EM1 Mark 2:biggrin:

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Another vote for the leash. I picked it up a couple months ago and am very pleased with it on my E-M1. However I haven't tried it yet with my heavier lenses, but otherwise find it very comfortable.

I am one of those people who tends to set up the strap length to how I like it then never changing it again regardless of lens used, so not being able to change the length super easily don't bother my. But changing the length isn't hard to do anyway.

As to the width, it is narrow so might dig in with heavier lenses. One thought it to look at some of your gym bags, luggage, etc. you have in a closet and see if any of them have a sliding shoulder pad that you can burrow to use with the leash if you are out with a big lens for a long period. Or check out eBay. They have a million padded shoulder straps you can take the padded part off of. Something like this...
Saxophone Neck Strap with Snap Hook, Padded, Adjustable, Black CP
where you can simply cut off the strap to get to the padded part for less than 3-bucks.

Last edited:

John M Flores

Super Moderator
I've been using OpTech for years but do not like how the neoprene wrist strap is wearing. I can see it failing within 2 years of purchase.

I just ordered the Leash and Cuff from Amazon. I think you save a bit if you order both together.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
I just ordered the Leash and Cuff from Amazon. I think you save a bit if you order both together.

That is what I did. I think you save $5 US buying them as a set. Then when you put the anchors on various camera bodies you can very easily swap between cuff and leash as needed/desired. Both are very light weight and almost no bulk so easily fit in a pocket if you want to remove them from the camera "in the field". The "seatbelt" type material used for them is very soft, so the cuff is very comfortable without being bulky.

jefft

Mu-43 Regular
I had a Slide for my older Pentax K5 which was wonderfully balanced; I started using it on the E-M5 II which is obviously overkill but nonetheless usable. I tried the Leash but found that because the strap is not as wide and also thinner, it tends to get twisted up and not function as smoothly as the original Slide.

I think that the Slide Lite would probably be the best balance between the three straps for m43. I also use the Cuff regularly for casual shooting.

Latest threads

Top Bottom