Peak Design Tripod

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I agree that it looks too flimsy for the price. Their marketing is pushing compactness and size over usability for me.

I have a heavier RRS TVC-34 with the BH-55 ball head and it vibrates being lightweight CF. I have to add some mass to its legs (wrist-weights) to stop its ringing if I tap the legs. I've wondered if these pixel-shifting and stacking image cameras could have a downside if the tripods have ringing effects built-into them given their less mass. There have been times when I've shot Hi-Rez mode off the tripod and the images seems soft against me hand-holding the thing. Dunno.

Real Name
Steve
It looks beautiful, but at the end of the day it's a tripod. I was admiring the Gitzo tripods at the WEX store the other day, works of art coming in at £700!

number17

Mu-43 Regular
Nice but VERY expensive ...

(but then again, when's the last time pd released something cheap?)

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
hard to see an improvement over the Gitzo Traveler one I have; much less RRS

I like Arca-Swiss mounts (and have 4 tripod heads with that) and a circular profile tube is stiffer/stronger than any other design

So, what's so great? It has some different 'things' about it, but where is any real improvement? Only packed dia. but is that such a problem ??

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
hard to see an improvement over the Gitzo Traveler one I have; much less RRS

I like Arca-Swiss mounts (and have 4 tripod heads with that) and a circular profile tube is stiffer/stronger than any other design

So, what's so great? It has some different 'things' about it, but where is any real improvement? Only packed dia. but is that such a problem ??

I don't know about you, but I always don't have enough space in my suitcase.
So anything smaller (to a point) helps with packing.

Because of the need to fit into a suitcase, to me a travel tripod is always going to be a compromise. So I don't expect near the same stability I have with my bigger home tripods. The key question is for me, "is it good enough?" It may or may not be.

But at $480, it is too expensive for my budget.

Though I should use a tripod more than the little I do use one.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
It's similar in concept to the old Slik Cylinder tripod. The Cylinder had 3 curved aluminum legs that literally formed a cylindrical shape that was easy to transport and had quick release clips for the extendable legs.

Hendrik

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Hendrik
As with cameras, the convenience that comes with a smaller form factor is often the difference between having an accessory to hand or leaving it behind. For example, I have a light Sirui travel pod that generally stays in the car - even when I suspect I might encounter a need. I have to plan to use it to make it worth it to carry. This design has two features that make it very interesting for me. First, fitting into a water bottle holder should makes it much easier to carry. Second, it looks to me as if it would make a much more conveniently deployed monopod than any other tripod.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
space in a suitcase could be an issue, but how much does this save (in dia. only BTW) over the little Gitzo Traveler??

leg joints are where I'd look for better rigidity...

I suspect we have reached a point where no real improvement is possible, and PD is searching for 'features that don't matter' to move product.

But if testing proves it is really better, that's great

Last edited:

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Recently came back from a 9 day motorcycle trip with this setup in a backpack:

20190521_102356.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is a pretty compact kit but it still is 7.5 lbs, half the weight of my backpack. So yes, weight and packed size are really important to me. I'm not swayed by the Peak Designs tripod because even with its unique design it is bigger and heavier than my current Velbon tripod.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Legend
Looks like a nice tripod, just watched a few youtube videos. One person tried a range an Arca Swiss plates and not all fitted. Plated that ere thicker at the dovetail point thickness at the base did not fit. [if that makes sense]

I think I would wait to the mark 2 is released. Hopefully more arca swiss plates will fit then. I suppose if it was intended to be used with mainly PD gear or more widely used Arca plates.

I do like the overall concept and for travel the ball head included would be OK, but for normal use I think I would miss the panning option in the heads I use.

Real Name
Walter
I think Peak Design should be applauded for thinking out of the box, instead of producing another copycat tripod. It's more than I would spend on a travel tripod, but it's intriguing and interesting. Would like to see how it does in some real-world testing.

Here's a hands on from Imaging-Resource.com.
The Peak Design Travel Tripod is the Most Innovative Tripod Ever

Last edited:

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
They have a great philosophy, good designs and the products are good. By the third iteration they are expensive but wonderful products.

Latest threads

Top Bottom