1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Peak Design or DSPTCH for E-M1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by gingergirl, Jul 2, 2014.

1. gingergirl

gingergirl Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I'm shopping around for a new sling and wrist strap combo and have it narrowed down to these two. I want a strap that moves free and easy from hanging position to shooting position (around the female body), is quick and easy to switch over from sling to wrist and securely attaches to the camera. I've read good reviews on both systems and am wondering if anyone can recommend one over the other. Thanks.

2. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    I have been using the Peak Design sling for about 6 months and am very happy with it. It hangs nicely on my shoulder and neck and the fabric of the straps is smooth and soft and when I lift the camera to my face it moves without a hitch. I haven't used the wrist strap yet but do plan to use it. I don't think you will be unhappy with Peak Design.

3. brandonsarkis

brandonsarkis Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 29, 2012
    Gotta agree. Tried both and the PD stuff wins hands down. I now have the quick releases on all my cameras so I can swap straps easily. Only downside to the neck/body strap is that since it's so narrow, it can dig in a bit on a heavier camera. I have an E-M1/12-40 and with that combo, it can be a little much after an hour or so-and that's wearing it cross body style. There is a new, wider model coming soon. It's on kickstarter now. Basically the same thing but much wider. The hand strap is perfect and I recommend buying the set.

4. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    Agree. I tried both. I use Peak Design.

5. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Peak Design has a new Kickstarter campaign for their new neck and wrist strap design. They look good.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    I've tried both and prefer DSPTCH. The connectors for the Peak Design seemed unnecessarily large to me, and I find the DSPTCH strap more comfortable to wear as a sling. I removed the lugs from my cameras and just use the DSPTCH round cord connectors.

7. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have both the Peak Design Leash and Cuff. The Leash works well for my use. I mostly use the Cuff. If your hands are larger than mine (I really hope they aren't), the Cuff will be too small for you.

8. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    Harvey, depending on when you purchased your peak design cuff it may be small. I had the same problem and I have medium to small hands. I contacted Peak Design and they told me that they had changed mfg and that the wrist cuff had been cut a bit small. They promised to send me a new one, (no cost) and they did. If you have the old style you might want to contact them and see if they won't send you another one.

9. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I did contact Peak and the Cuff that I have is the normal version. I just have very large hands. I can use it, I just need a second hand to get it off of the hand using it.

10. gingergirl

gingergirl Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    They do look good but not available until October. I have the 12-40mm lens so I wonder if the thinner strap would dig in. I have thin strap now and it doesn't bother me...and I don't have big hands. :)

Thanks for all the input. Will let it stir around for a bit longer.

11. clie25

clie25 New to Mu-43

Sep 25, 2012
    Chris
    I'm using peak designs as well and love em. I have the capture camera clip, the leash and the cuff for my em1, and I'm ordering their new product the clutch and the anchor links to combine with my kata sling and bag. The materials are just nice, smooth and light.

• Like Like x 1
  12. gingergirl

gingergirl Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    The clutch looks really interesting. I've placed my order for the Peak Designs leash and cuff. Now the wait for the arrival..... :)

13. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    That's the part that saddens me about the Kickstarter; October delivery. I would actually want/need this by early October to take to Iceland, Norway, and Sweden. I could still probably back it, but would need something in the interim. Their other products all look top notch.

14. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I find the leash and cuff to be a perfect pairing with the E-M1 and 12-40. And even just fine with the 43 50-200 SWD. So while the nice big new strap loops comfortable, it also looks like overkill. The leash is great because it's thin, light, compact, and packs in nicely (almost no space in the camera bag)

• Like Like x 1
  15. beameup

beameup Mu-43 Regular

Oct 23, 2013