1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Peak Design Olympus strap eyelet fit?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Bob_McBob, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Bob_McBob

Bob_McBob Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2015
    Do the current Peak Design anchors fit through the strap eyelets on the E-M5 II and other Olympus cameras? I'm very interested in getting a Slide Lite to replace the BR sling I'm using right now, but the location of the strap connectors on the E-M5 II means the split rings really irritate my fingers, so I'd like something soft that can fit through the small eyelet opening. Based on forum photos, the old anchors fit through OK, but according to at least one review on B&H it's impossible to push the newer reinforced colour indicator design through the eyelet. I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with this, because the strap would be perfect otherwise.

cMJ16lN.

2. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I have a couple of their items and no problem with the anchors. Also no problem with the anchors and their arca plate. Great system.

3. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    If you find it a bit tight to initially feed the peak design cord through get some dental floss (very strong) and thread it through the loop then feed both ends of the dental floss through the lug and pull the cord through. Remove dental floss and continue.

• Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Appreciate x 1
    • Useful x 1
  4. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Yup, dental floss. I do the same thing.

5. Bob_McBob

Bob_McBob Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2015
    Thank for the responses! Just to be clear, is everyone using the newer version of the anchors with the colour wear indicator thread? I'm mainly asking because someone specifically addressed the fit of the newer "Dyneema" anchors and said they were unable to thread them through the eyelets with dental floss because they have less give than the previous version. It's pretty important to me that I be able to fit them through the eyelets because the split rings are so irritating.

6. RamblinR

Aug 16, 2012
    Maria
    I have the ebay copies so can't comment.

7. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Do you have a pic of these new anchors? I thought they were all the same.

8. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    Yes, it is possible to thread the Dyneema version into the lugs (E-M1 and E-M5 Mk I) but it wasn't easy and because of the tight fit the hole edges might wear out the anchors.

I use 12mm split rings (with pointy bits dremeled off) instead.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Bob_McBob

Bob_McBob Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2015
    They look the same as the old ones, but they're stronger and have coloured layers to indicate when they're wearing and need to be replaced.

Anchor Strength, Anchor Wear & Anchor Engineering

2GYgEnx.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. RamblinR

Aug 16, 2012
    Maria
    You could put small split ring (key ring holder) through the lug and then attach to that. Being round it would sit better or you could attach it to the triangular one that comes with the olympus. Just a thought.

11. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    You only put them in once. No worries.

12. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    24764675953_70681cd89c_o.

The older vectran at the bottom and the dyneema version is on the camera. My sweet spot is 12mm diameter of stainless steel normal split rings. I dremeled off the ends concave (optional). The marine grade steel split rings, usually weight rated, were too hard to put on and the titanium ones might eat the lug, yes I've tried them all.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  13. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    I have some of the old ones if you are interested. I can sell them to you. I have a bunch of them.

I "think" the new ones fit though.

14. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I have a mix of new and old however I no longer use the eyelets after I had two of them pull out of the camera... tripod mount only now.

15. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

I have a set of the old style which fit through easily but I'll be buggered if I can get the new ones to go through and that was using 50kg fishing braid and pliers for the assist....

Tried on my em1/gm1 and epm1...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bob_McBob

Bob_McBob Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2015
    Thanks for the input, everyone. I decided to go ahead and order anyway and see how it works out since the strap itself sounds ideal.

17. Jonnieb

Jonnieb Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Jon Barnett
    I tried last night after reading of the success some have had with putting the newer ones through the E-M1 eyelets. However, I couldn't get the anchors through. I also wonder if the extreme pressure needed may a) stress the eyelet, or b) compromise the anchor cord.

18. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    I have done it several times- including for my heavier full frame setup- using the method described above. Haven't personally had any issues- thankfully. Had to use a twist tie instead of dental floss, and it did require some muscle to get it in. But once in, works like a charm for me.

19. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

I know the OP has pulled the trigger already but I'll take a photo of the latest set of connectors and the old school ones to show the difference tonight if I get time...

Edit to add: Part of the original appeal of the PD system to me was being able to ditch the split rings and go straight to the eyelet...

20. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    The new ones fit on my E-M5ii. There is a little metal liner in the eyelet that I took out when I put in the original anchors, which allowed for an easier fit.