1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Peak design leash + capture plate on GX1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by keithsf, May 12, 2013.

1. keithsf

keithsf New to Mu-43

Sep 8, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    I'm looking for a camera strap for my GX1 and came across the peak design leash. Has anyone tried this and/or the capture plate on a GX1? Does the capture plate interfere with the battery compartment door? Does it hurt banging against your side for a long period of time?

I'm specifically looking for a strap that will go over one shoulder and let me carry my camera comfortably and securely at my side and still allow me to move around easily and carry other stuff (like my daughter). I'd also like it to work well with the external viewfinder and some of the longer lenses attached (like 25mm w/hood and 45-175mm w/hood).

The leash plus capture plate seems like a good solution - I can attach one end to one of the standard camera strap attachment points and the other end to the capture plate on the bottom of the camera, and hopefully have it hang near my waist with the lens pointing back and down with no or minimal twisting and bouncing.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated too...lots of possibilities out there but I'm hoping to get it right the first time!

2. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    I have the leash and capture clip.

It is a pretty nice sling strap. It probably isn't the best one because there is not a shoulder pad, but I don't think it is necessary for micro 4/3rd cameras. You aren't dealing with a ton of weight. I really like the ability to use it as a sling, neck, or I can just wear it across my body if I want. It is tiny and it can easily fit in a pocket when not in use. It is really adjustable and flexible. The little connectors are great too. They don't get in the way, are really secure, and easy to connect and disconnect. It is my favorite strap system. I highly recommend it.

The clip is great too. I don't really use it much with my omd, so I can't really comment on the m4/3 plate that they sell. I have the standard one for my D600. I like it with a dslr. I connect it to my camera bags and use the bag strap as my camera strap...If that makes any sense... And I just clip the camera in and out when I take a shot.

If you have any questions, let me know.

3. keithsf

keithsf New to Mu-43

Sep 8, 2012
    SF Bay Area
    Thanks for the info! I haven't done a precise measurement, but the capture plate looks like it will block the battery compartment, and since I don't plan on using the other part of the capture system I might try the leash with one of the smaller black rapid fastenr connectors on the bottom.

I do like the size of the strap, sounds like it should fit into my smallish camera bag nicely.

4. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    I don't have a GX1 so I can't tell you if the clip will block anything, but really, the leash is great. It feels really secure, but it is super light. It is like cutting a seat belt into 1/4s and using it as a strap. I usually hand-hold my camera, so it is nice that the connectors are small and don't get in the way when I am not using a strap.

5. Bluemacro

Bluemacro New to Mu-43

May 21, 2013
    Bay Area, CA
    I have the Peak Design standard capture plate and the MFT micro plate. The standard blocks the battery/memory card door. The micro plate covers only two sides for the Arca mounts and doesn't have a threaded screw hole for a tripod, but it does have a D-ring for shoulder mount and it does not block the battery door.

6. Heavy Doody

Heavy Doody Mu-43 Regular

Sep 17, 2012
    I just got the Peak Design Leash today. I've worn it for a grand total of about 36 seconds, but I already get the impression I'm going to like it a lot better than my Black Rapid straps.

7. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    I have the Peak Design Leash strap with extra quick release connections. I use it on my OMD and EPL5 and really like it.