1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Peak Design Leash and Cuff

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by 2mnycars, Jan 17, 2016.

1. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    I bought one of each when they first came out. I now have 3 straps, and two wrist straps

I broke my left shoulder in two spots end of August

My solution was to buy a heavy lens for my a6000. It's A Sony 24-240, a full frame lens

Has anyone had trouble with the Peak Design connectors?

Dave

2. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    I used it on my Olympus M5 too

3. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    No problem with the PD connectors. Solid so far.

4. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Great!
    I want a wider strap. My shoulder hurts

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I have the Slide (original one, not the smaller mirrorless one) and the Clutch since 2/2015... I noticed the connectors that came with the Slide look stronger, so I used them for the Cuff's connection also.

I have not had any trouble with them; they're on constantly and I've been on several trips including 3 weeks in Europe, wearing the E-M1 and 12-40mm all day, every day.

I wrote a bit about them at Peak Design Clutch with E-M1 & 40-150mm f2.8 Pro?

Barry

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. JBoot

JBoot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Scotch Plains, NJ
    Jerry
    I use leash and cuff as well. Saw them at PhotoPlus Expo this year and they recommend the heavier strap and connectors once you get to the larger lenses for full frame.

Also, just in case you didn't realize, the newer connector ends with the red dots use a different cord. It's got yellow under the black layer and again red under the yellow. This way, you will visually see when the cord is wearing before it breaks. So, that's also another thing you can upgrade cheaply that might give you peace of mind. I bought new connectors for the few dollars as insurance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL

Thank you!
    Very helpful. I have 3 straps and 2 grips. some of my connectors don't " snap" or connect properly. I believe they are leash and cuff.
    My a6000 with 24-240 lens is heavy. I want a wider strap.

8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I would contact PD about that.

Barry

9. Raptor7

Raptor7 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2014
    Madrid, Spain
    I used the Slide (original) with a EOS 70D and a 70-300 IS USM, with no problem at all. Now I am using it with my E-M1, although I have just bought the SlideLite and I like it more for the OMD than the original one.

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I've had no issues with the connectors coming loose, but i haven't put anything that heavy on them, either.

11. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    I use the Anchors (connectors) with either the Slide, the Leash (of which I have two) and the Cuff (another two) for all my cameras, including the Nikon D750 with big lenses attached - no problem whatsoever. I haven't had any loose Anchors so far, though - and I have about 16 of them IIRC. The heaviest combo I use regularily is about 1.7kg (about 3.7lbs), but I've had another .6kg of flash and softbox attached without issue (for a total of about 5 lbs).

M.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    I used the leash last year on my d300s with grip, and 70-300vr mounted during a day's shooting at Porsche Club solo races. Yes I was sore

I bought a Leash this week, and returned it unopened. It would work on the d300s. It costs too much for limited occasional use

13. MetilHed

MetilHed Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2015
    Jeff

Then buy the wider strap ?

14. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    As an alternative to Peak Design products, you can use any strap with OP/TECH USA loop connectors. In my experience, they are also very strong.

15. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Metilhead, I've been around a while.
    It's Ok. I did buy the PD sling with the cute name. But I took it back. The connector on the base was much wider than it needs to be. It's wider than my small camera.
    Issue for me started when I broke my left shoulder in two spots.

16. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Thanks Stratocaster. that's helpful!
    Perhaps a suede pad for a guitar strap would work even better and I could put it on one of my Peak Design leashes
    I've googled that a few times, without success

17. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    I've been using Leash on a D7100 with Kirk L-plate, Nikkor 80-400G ED and monopod (all of which weighs in slightly in excess of 7 1/2 lbs) and haven't had anything fall off the Peak connectors. Or threaten to...

The Leash is replacing an UpStrap that has a stiff, wide rubber shoulder pad. I found it inconvenient since I have come to prefer carrying the camera at my side with the strap arranged across the body. (The UpStrap shoulder pad does not slide easily but it does distribute weight across the back of the neck or over one shoulder better than the Leash. It is also slightly too short for this use.) Anyhow, doing this allows me to go out with two cameras, one at either side, each suspended from the opposite shoulder (I dislike changing lens in the field).

If I had to avoid putting pressure on one shoulder, sure I'd be down one camera but I'd still be able to carry a camera and avoid putting pressure on or near the hurt. One trick I've found is to attach to the camera via the left camera ring and a plate attached to the tripod socket. This allows the camera to hang, lens and grip down, and, most importantly, not subject the eye cup to constant banging around which reliably results in quick loss of the cup. The camera grip comes easily to hand and, since the Leash is wonderfully slippy, pulling the camera up into shooting position is trivial.

18. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    I worked for years with a small business. Habits came from there. Two F3's. motor drives. fast glass. Domke straps. A Leica system as backup
    Now. fun. D300S with grip. slow glass. My Oly M5 was my light system. It didn't work for me.
    When I went small I went completely to Peak Design.
    Now my small camera is an a6000. The connector on Leash is too big for my Sony camera base. I brought one home. took it back.

19. 2mnycars

2mnycars Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2012
    Toronto
    DaveL
    Hendrix wonderful explanation. I put my Black Rapid connector on. Shook my head. I shall use my BR curve

I had concerns about the BR connector. My sling was one of the first sold. I was reluctant to use such a large sling on my small camera. BTW Blak Rapid service was excellent when I raised my concern

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016