Peak Design issue

Antonio Correia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I bought a camera clip from Peak Design but it seems not to work for me when I try to insert the Oly 5 Mark II with either the 12-40mm or the 7-14mm
Only one position is possible and I couldn't insert the camera in my belt with the lens towards the floor.
What am I missing here ?
Photos taken while the 12-40 was mounted
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
I don't think you're missing anything here. Some lenses are not compatible with the clip in some orientations. I use the Capture clip with the same camera/lens combo as you show but I chose to mount the clip on a camera bag strap (oriented up and down). Having the axis of the lens aligned with the plate path in the clip works perfectly well. It's also easier to engage and disengage.

Another incompatibility exists between the original standard Peak mounting plate and some very fat lenses (P100-300, for example) that makes it impossible to mount the lens. When I first bought into Peak Design, they didn't offer that nice offset slot shown in your photo. Consequently, I've been using the mini plates. Now that I see they offer the offset, I think I'll spring for a couple. My main complaint with the minis is that any mounting loop has a tendency to interfere with seating and locking the plate.

As to why I mount the strap top and bottom, this guarantees that with any lens the camera will not hang with the eyecup banging against me. I have found this to be the most reliable cure for Olympus dislodged eyecup syndrome. This was more important with the original E-M5 than Mk II. Still, after three years with the Mark II, I just lost my first eyecup a week or two ago.

Antonio Correia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Tank you Hendrik. :)
Perhaps they should alert people to this incompatibility... should they ? ;)
Or perhaps I have not made enough investigation. Blame on me !
I just wanted to have the camera at my belt with the lens down which is not possible as it is turned back or front.
That, I do not want. I think I am returning the pack...
They are now in the expensive version 3

Attachments

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Perhaps the older, taller plate they used to use would work. Otherwise putting some kind of spacer material (with a longer screw replacing the existing one) would probably let you clear your lens for mounting it.

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
Tank you Hendrik. :)
Perhaps they should alert people to this incompatibility... should they ? ;)
Or perhaps I have not made enough investigation. Blame on me !
I just wanted to have the camera at my belt with the lens down which is not possible as it is turned back or front.
That, I do not want. I think I am returning the pack...
They are now in the expensive version 3
I notice you are mounting the plate on a mesh belt. Have you considered adjusting the weaving to make holes in the belt which could allow mounting the clip along the length of the belt?

Attachments

Antonio Correia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That means to make a large space between the camera and the plate, right ?
Doing so, would diminish security...
Unless I could use a thicker piece replacing the one I am point at.
But have I paid that money to improvise ?

Thank you Reflector for your comment ! :)

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have one of the older plates, I'll take a photo of it later so you can see what it looks like. Maybe you can find someone that's willing to trade their older, thicker plate for the newer thinner plate you have.

Otherwise using some kind of spacer wouldn't hurt too much if you have a long screw and the spacer is solid. You'd probably want something like a piece of aluminum with a hole in it and some thin padding/rubber material on the camera side.

emmbeedee

Mu-43 Regular
But have I paid that money to improvise ?

Thank you Reflector for your comment ! :)

What about using an inexpensive grip base to increase the space between the lens and the clip? I have one on my M1 and one of my M5-2 bodies and it's very secure.

You can get one for $20 or thereabouts on Amazon or eBay.

Antonio Correia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thank you emmbeedee for you suggestion ! :)
In fact, this morning, I have sent back the plate and kept only the anchor links.
As m43 cameras and lenses are rather light I will keep mine(s) in a hand bag or backpack.

comment23

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Simon
I don’t see this as a design issue unique to PD products. Any Arca-Swiss plate is going to be less than ideal with the small bodies and larger lenses. The problem is that the lens diameter near the mount is wider than the distance from the center of the mount to the bottom of the camera body. A RRS grip (Plate for Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II) or similar can add some depth to the body and give the required clearance.

Antonio Correia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
But Simon, that is another (money) spent one has to make... the problem should be solved yes, but not through getting more un-necessary plates, which are increasing the weight of the combo camera-lens...
Perhaps a special plate for m43 should be sold and correctly designed ...
Thank you for your comment ! :)

Antonio Correia

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thank you Simon for the work you have been doing for such a trifle.
But since you have been through so much trouble/work here is the mail I sent them and their reply.
After reading their reply I thought they had no solution and I returned the material this morning. In the process the seller (Portuguese) and myself we ended up wasting money.
Perhaps I am the only one to blame !

"Good day !
I would like to ask you what I am missing or if I am doing something wrong.
Please look at the photographs herewith

The standard plate is attached to the camera as far back as possible. Top
left photo.
The camera is inserted in the PDCapture, parallel to the sensor plane. Top
right photo.
The camera can not be inserted in the PDCapture, perpendicular to the
sensor plane using which ever screws provided.

The lens of the camera collides with the PDCapture (or vice-versa) what
makes this insertion impossible to use.
Bottom images shows the camera with two different lenses the Olympus
12-40mm and the Olympus 7-14 and two different screws...

So, I have to travel with the key when I want to unmount the PDCapture and
mount it somewhere else.

Isn't this the plate for this combo (camera+lens) ? Which is the plate
recommended, please ?
I think it exists a plate for Manfrotto tripods...

What am I doing wrong here ? What am I missing ?"

Your material is great. Well designed, presented, built and agreeable to
the touch.
Thank you !
:)"

PeakDesign's reply:
"António,
Thanks for reaching out. Sorry you're having troubles. Is that the Standard plate you're using with a new Capture? The camera should point down when on Capture (if that makes sense).

I know it's often hard to troubleshoot with pictures. If you could try this >
this is a video we made that will show you exactly how to attach the Capture to your camera and so on. If you've tried that, it may just be the plate. Please let me know and we can go from there.

Thank you for your patience while we work this out.
Best, Dani
"

My reply:
"Thank you.
Do not worry. The problem is solved.
:)
"

comment23

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Simon
I don't think you are the one to blame - its not really possible to guess this might be an issue until you have one in your hands to try. I returned my original Capture as it didn't work with my E-M10.1 for the same reason but I have repurchased it again now I have an E-M1.1 which has a slightly deeper body below the lens mount.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thank you Simon for the work you have been doing for such a trifle.
With our hobby it often can be those trifle things that can make or break the user experience. The most awesome camera in the world you may not like to use because a protrusion always catches on your shirt or or strap ring is located so it digs into your finger or something that should be readily changeable needs three menu levels to get to or...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom