1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Peak Design Clutch with E-M1 & 40-150mm f2.8 Pro?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by barry13, Jan 14, 2015.

1. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

Has anyone tried the PD Clutch with the E-M1 & 40-150mm f2.8 Pro lens?

I'm thinking of getting the PD Slide and sometimes they offer a discount if you buy both. I doubt I would use the clutch with other lenses as I am used to using a sling (Joby Ultrafit at the moment) and letting the camera hang, and the camera's built-in grip is fine for me with all the other lenses including the 12-40.

I don't want to add a bottom grip to the camera, and am wondering if the Clutch would make it noticeably easier to hold the camera single-handed (I do normally use 2 hands when shooting) with that lens.

http://peakdesign.com/straps/

Thanks,
    Barry

2. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I have a Clutch and I just haven't come to good terms with it. I think my hands are too big, I can't access my buttons because they are too close when using it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I don't know about the E-M1, probably better suited than my E-M5, but this is a reply from Peak Design when I enquired about using the Clutch with E-M5

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. db96

db96 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 10, 2012
    Central Indiana
    I like the clutch on thenE-M1, but I am not a big fan of the slide. Not long enough to suit me as a sling type walk around strap. Nice quality and all, but I just end up using it as a neck strap. I use the clutch if I am doing a lot of shooting in a small amount of time. I feel that I have good access to the buttons, but my hands are probably smaller.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

• Like Like x 1
  5. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    Well, I have recently purchased the Peak Designs Slide and think it's the best thing since sliced bread! OK, that might be overstating it a bit, but it has really been the best camera strap I have used, and I have tried a fair number. Works especially well on the E-M1 with the RRS camera plate. It allows the camera to point down and not try to stay level if you use just the lug position. Very easy to "slide" the camera into position. It does sound like the cuff might work better, but I have not tried that.

6. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I'm also a fan of the Slide. I also love the Cuff, but it is a little small.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I'm looking at a picture from Robin Wong and it appears that both the E-M1 and E-M5 have the lugs in the same position:
    https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-T7apC7JAXho/UkqgrtiE9gI/AAAAAAAAa6I/8ZPx3rYRQV8/s1600/PA016825.jpg

I'll contact them and see what they say, and if they offer returns on the clutch if I buy the combo.

Thanks!
    Barry

8. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Here's the reply from PD:

I'll probably order the bundle (Slide + Clutch, aka "Pro Strap Pack", https://peakdesign.com/store/pro-strap-pack) soon.

Barry

9. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Hm...
    A bit different to what they replied me. I have a larger grip (sugru) on my E-M5 so I'm interested how it works for you. I still think the lug position would be an issue.

Some picture would help too...

10. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    One of their FAQ's says the lugs can't be too high (or you can't get your index finger onto the shutter?).
    http://support.peakdesign.com/hc/en...ng-Clutch-with-mirrorless-other-small-cameras
    Also, is the E-M1's shutter button further forward than the E-M5's?

I'll let you know how it goes.

Barry

11. TassieFig

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Ah, I haven't seen that. Yes, the shutter button is more forward on E-M1 so maybe that helps too. I always have the strap, or the anchor thingy, between my index finger and long finger when I shoot because the lug is so low...Looking forward to hear more from you.

12. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Another thing I've realized is that the Clutch does not use the "Anchor Link" quick-connections, so it might be cumbersome to remove it when I want to use the Slide in neck-strap mode.
    I already have the Joby UltraFit sling, but I want something convertible so I can use it as a neck strap when I want to shoot from waist level (hence the desire for the Slide).

I'll probably get both the Slide + Clutch anyways, and see how it works out. As long as the Clutch isn't terribly hard to remove, or can stay in place while the Clutch is attached to the same point, I can live with it.

Barry

13. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    I've used lighter the Peak Design leash with a E-M1+40-150Pro. It worked fine, but I used my old blackrapid strap with that combo too and it felt much better balanced. I normally would keep the blackrapid strap attached to the 40-150, and detach the Peak Design Leash (since it's so easy to with their quick disconnect clips) when using the E-M1+40-150. But for every other lens, the slim design of the PD Leash works perfect IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  14. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    What's the piece of 'string' that attaches to the plastic button made of and how does it attach to the button? I've looked at the site and can't find any information about the design and construction of this rather vital piece. All the web site says is that it will hold the heaviest DSLR and that really doesn't say much. Nor is there anything available regarding their testing procedures.

15. Harvey Melvin Richards

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    The Clutch is not easy for me to remove, and it needs all of the space on the triangular strap attachment, so there is no room to also have an Anchor attached.

The material is Vectran and it will support 200 lbs of force. I have Anchors on my camera bags, and I use the Slide strap on them. This way it's easy to remove it to use on my camera.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I guess my concern is that while it may be able to withstand a 200lb load, that's not really an indication of it's true capability. What I mean is that, all load rated cables etc, safe working load (SWL), with an additional safety factor built in (given no damage). It's when damage occurs, such as unusual kinking, fraying and the like, that the breaking strain can diminish considerably. Also, you can quite easily achieve a 200lb load if G forces are included into the equation.

I have snatch straps and winch cables that I carry as safety/recovery tools when I go bush and if a snatch strap breaks a few of it's strands, then it is weakened considerably and it's always recommended to have it replaced. Now I've not always done that and have broken the straps many times that have looked reasonably good, but with just one worn part. The same applies to these cables and straps if dirt/grit gets into the weave, which can invisibly wear away at the cable, again considerably reducing their SWL.

So that's why I asked the question, as there's nothing on the website saying how they test their string, and over what conditions and timeframes. The attachment methodology to the plastic button is also important, as this is another load bearing/wear point.

17. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    @OzRay@OzRay, PD has been using the Anchor Link system for awhile, we probably would have heard by now if they're highly prone to breaking.

However, they did have a recall on the Slide as the spring clips on the belt that the anchors 'hook' into were not locking. They've re-designed the clips since.

There's a couple pictures of the links and clips at https://peakdesign.com/store/anchor-links

Barry

18. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I ordered the combo; will report how I like it.

One can save about $19 by getting the combo ($10 off) and Googling for a promo code ($9 off); 'pbloom' works currently.

Barry

19. Robojim

Robojim New to Mu-43

Feb 23, 2015
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Jim Ramsey Khoury
    Will stay on the lookout for that m4/3 designed clutch. Current one is a little awkward to use with my GX7. Rest of the line is awesome though. Got mine through Kickstarter. All that's left is the Shell.

20. Whtrbt7

Whtrbt7 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    I'm about to review the Peak Design Clutch and the Slide on one of my sites. My impressions of the Clutch are ok but even though I have small hands, the Clutch does seem to have a few downsides. The first is for the recommended setup, you need to use the arca swiss compatible capture clip plate. This is just an extra piece on the bottom but while it allows you to slide into an Arca tripod/ballhead, it's just a small plate which makes putting your camera on a flat surface wonky. The Clutch also only uses a single Anchor Link which is made of Nylon with a metallic/polyester thread of some sort (Vectran) in the center for strength attached to what seems like a sandwiched plastic disk. The funny thing is in this combination, the part that you think would have problems, isn't what actually had problems that lead to a small batch of camera drops. The Anchor Link itself is pretty solid unless it gets extremely frayed. The failure part which was only on about 1% of the product was originally the metal retention clip on the other side which had apparently popped out of the plastic piece. Peak Design I think has fixed that problem on the new batches of anchor link packages. The Clutch uses a kind of carabiner design with the metal cinch they developed specifically for the Clutch which is really solid yet lightweight. This piece allows you to pull the nylon to tighten the Clutch and then when you lift the cinch, it loosens. It's really smart since it allows you to quickly adjust your grip quickly. The outer material is matted and very grippy which is nice and the interior red accented part for the nylon tab is smooth to allow for quick adjustments. The inner padded part of the Clutch is soft and comfortable like neoprene but also has a bit of grip to it so if you cinch the Clutch tight enough, you can have your palm open and still hold onto your camera.

Now here comes the kicker. Not everyone is going to like this hand strap. I didn't find it very comfortable for extended wear (4-8 hours), and the plastic part where the anchor link attaches sat on the bottom of my palm which didn't feel good since the Clutch was primarily designed for DSLR users which even on an entry level DSLR is MUCH more comfortable. For M43 cameras, the Clutch is going to be almost useless on most models except for the decently large grip M43 variants such as the E-M1 (I use the RRS bottom plate with it for an even larger grip), GH4, etc... The other thing about Peak Design products I normally like is the ability to quickly remove the straps from anchor links but the issue with the Clutch is that it only uses 1 anchor link and the cinch part sometimes gets a little stuck to the D ring on the E-M1. With the weight of the 40-150/2.8 and a flash, the Clutch is pretty harsh on the hand due to how much it grips your hand and how much pressure it puts in the wrong places on my hand. After shooting with it for 8 hours on a single shoot, my wrist, hand, and pride kinda hurt. It's great that the camera stayed on my hand but it was just uncomfortable for me, YMMV.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1