Peak Design Capture Pro for OMD

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by NoTan2, Apr 20, 2014.

1. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    I've been trying to decide whether the Capture Pro Clip would work for me on my OMD.
    I like the concept but I'm not entirely sure that I'm happy with its implementation as it applies to m4/3.

After measuring the base of the camera, it seems that the MicroPlate is the only plate that would not protrude excessively. However, if I understand correctly, this plate only engages in two directions ie perpendicular to the base of the camera. If the clip were attached to, say, a vertical backpack strap then the camera would engage with the lens facing down. All good so far.

With the clip attached to a belt, however, it looks like the camera would only engage with the lens parallel to the ground. If I decide to buy a 12-40, for example, I can't see that working at all.

Have I correctly understood the limitations of the MicroPlate? Does anyone use a Capture clip on an OMD and, if so, do you just buy an ARCAPlate and ignore the way it looks? (or perhaps a DualPlate since my tripod is RC2)?
  2. vchaney

vchaney Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2010
    You're correct about the capture clip plates. I use the arca plate on my ep5 and it's fine. It does slightly obstruct the screen if it's tilted fully down, but not by much. It's a compromise I'm willing to make to have the camera in the orientation I want. I do carry the camera in a horizontal orientation with smaller lenses (25mm, 45mm etc) and have tried with the 75mm. This does work, and it's secure, but the capture clip twists against the strap or belt.

Hope that helps.
  3. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Thanks for that.

That gives me something to think about. Just noticed that the DUALPlate only connects in two directions as well, so the only feasible choice is ARCAPlate .
  4. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I think you are over thinking the amount that it sticks out.

On my G6 a full PD plate extends forward of the body a little, but it is in line with the lens. My Gen 1 full plate has 4 lugs for mounting a strap - I cut off on so that I could fully open the battery door. On my X20 my wife uses a micro plate, but she did not align it with the body. She mounted it at an angle (twisted 70 degrees off the aligned position) so that the body would be in a natural position when she puts it on her Camelbak. Yes, the plate extends 5mm to the back and 10mm forward (mostly under the lens). So, the camera doesn't sit flat on a table - big deal.

You are correct, the horizontal lens position is not great for walking around - but it is nice for lens changing.
  5. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I gave the Capture Clip a test run for a few hours last Saturday. I bought the only bundle my shop had in stock, which was the one with the Dual plate. I mistakenly thought I could insert the camera in 4 directions like the ARCA plate, so that was a bit of a disappointment.

If you buy the Pro Pad, you can set the Clip up to be holding the camera in any direction, even with the Micro and Dual plates which only do two directions. I think that's what I'm going to do.

I terms of my general impressions of the Clip... It's nice to be hand-free without having to use a neck or sling strap. I haven't found a neck/sling strap that I really like so far, and prefer to roll with just a hand strap. The Dual plate adds significantly to the weight of such small cameras; my camera seriously felt like a feather-lite when I took it off. And it's pretty big, but doesn't technically interfere with the touchscreen at the back. I noticed, too, that, if anything, it's easier than I expected to put the camera in and take it back out. Also, I understand now why Peak Design advises using a "thick, sturdy leather belt"; the clip really tugs down and out on your belt. My belt was barely adequate.

Bottomline is that I liked the theory of the system a little better than I liked the reality of using it. I think I'm going to buy another copy with either the Micro plate or ARCA plate—I haven't decided—to be used mainly when hiking on a backpack strap and also when on photo walks where I'd also probably be shooting another camera (film) which I did last weekend, and which was a pleasure. Hope that all helps. Good luck on whatever you decide.
  6. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    I've never had a problem with any of their plates and I've used all the different plates from the original to the new ones on my G3. I've travelled to Singapore, Cambodia and Kenya using the Capture Clip mounted on the strap of my shoulder bag and have never been happier. I have not used it mounted on my belt as I often don't have a belt on. In fact the original plate provided a pretty good grip on the little G3. I also travelled with their Leash and Cuff straps and was very happy to be able to switch from a neck strap to a wrist strap in an instant. I usually travel with at least two bodies and the Peak Design products helped tremendously with the ease of switching from one camera to the other without the hassle of having to reach back and forth into the camera bag.
  7. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    The micro plate fits perfectly on the bottom, but you are right that can not go in with the lens down on the belt. I have never tried it on the belt, but wouldn't imagine it is very comfortable (especially with my love handles). I can say, that pairing the Capture Pro with the ThinkTank Turnstyle bags is a perfect combo.
  8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The micro plate works great on the E-M1 and E-M5. It fouls the tilt screen on my a7r. I personally only really like the capture on a bag strap, not a belt.
  9. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I use a Micro Plate on my E-M10 with the ECG-1 grip attached. It works very well, although I prefer to have the Capture Clip on my pack shoulder strap as opposed to my belt. It works OK on the belt, but it feels like it bounces around a lot more it that position than on the shoulder. I mostly have used it with the 12-40 PRO lens. I have a ARCA plate ordered because I don't think that it will be that much larger.

With the clip attached to the E-M10 grip, I can't use the easy remove grip base to get to the battery or card. It's not a significant issue because it's easy enough to unscrew the grip from the camera.

I have also made a 90° attachment for my camera and I can shoot movies or photos with the camera attached to my pack strap. It works best with wide angle lenses though.
  10. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Thanks for all your detailed responses. That's all the information I need.

I didn't even look at the ProPad since I figured it was mostly for heavier cameras (and I wasn't planning on taking any of my Nikons travelling) but I can see now that I could use that with a MicroPlate and get the best of both worlds.

I also note that most of you prefer to mount it on a shoulder/backpack strap and, having thought about it, it's unlikely that I'll be wearing a strong belt much of the time.

My interest in this product is mostly accidental. I've been using a Crumpler wrist strap because I've never been happy with a neck strap but there are times when it's either necessary to use both hands for something or I just get tired of the camera dangling from my wrist. So, since some of my friends like sling straps, I considered that, but couldn't be bothered fiddling with threading straps through eyelets when I wanted to change systems.

That's how I discovered the Peak Design Cuff and Sling straps. I quickly realised that I needed a MicroPlate so that I could make the camera hang lens down with the Sling strap. After that it was just a short journey to wondering what the Capture clip was that I kept hearing about...

Thanks again for your assistance. Most helpful.