Peak Design Capture Camera Clip

Talanis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Eric Cote
Anyone using Peak Design Capture Camera Clip or have any feedback on it? It looks interesting and useful when hiking or simply to carry a second camera while shooting for a client.

Harvey Melvin Richards

Photo Posting Junkie
I have been using the Capture Pro for several months. I mostly use it on the shoulder strap of my pack. I like it while I'm hiking, but I don't like while mountain biking. I have tried it on my belt, but I didn't like it there, it felt like I was bouncing my camera around too much.

I have both the narrow Arca plate and Micro plate and they both add some height to the camera. I usually leave them off unless I'm using the Capture Clip.

eekim

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Eugene Eric Kim
I've had mine for about a year, and like Harvey, I also use it on my shoulder strap (versus my belt) when I go hiking. I rarely use it for every day use, preferring a Black Rapid shoulder or wrist strap, both of which are compatible with the plate.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I have one but don't use it much. I find the camera hangs better with the Spider Black Widow on my belt. I also don't like leaving the camera exposed while hiking; I've fallen and damaged a camera (and a rib) when it was on a shoulder strap on my pack. So I usually keep the camera in a waist bag or holster while hiking.

popiT

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I use one and also clip on my backpack's shoulder strap for hiking. Very quick & convenient to clip on & release the camera. Very stable & barely feel the weight. Once I mounted a GoPro to take time lapse during a hike.

RakSiam

Mu-43 Regular
I love it. I had the original version. Version 2 is even better. I agree that it's better on a backpack strap but I've used it on the belt as well. I also use their wrist strap which I like very much too.

Harvey Melvin Richards

Photo Posting Junkie
There is one reason that I use my Capture Clip but often carry my camera in a Digital Holster. With the Arca Plate on the camera, you can have the camera in the clip so that the lens is horizontal. For me this makes changing lenses very quick and easy.

I also made an L bracket for mine and I'm able to use my camera like a Go Pro. I find most Go Pro video rather boring, so I shoot time lapse with mine. It works best with my 7.5 fisheye, or my 9-18 set at 9mm.

Dave Lively

Mu-43 Regular
I also don't like leaving the camera exposed while hiking; I've fallen and damaged a camera (and a rib) when it was on a shoulder strap on my pack. So I usually keep the camera in a waist bag or holster while hiking.
I am sorry you fell, you are not the only one that sometimes falls while hiking. It usually happens to me every couple of years and I have been averaging about 300 to 500 miles a year on the trails. I nearly broke my nose a couple of years ago but have only had scratches and cuts otherwise. That would have been different if I had a camera strapped to my chest. It would not have done the camera much good either. I meet a lot of people that have never fallen and claim they are careful and never will. But given my track record I both try to avoid any more falls but plan for the worst.

The problem I have with waist holsters is they get in the way when using the waist strap of a pack and require a more substantial belt than I prefer to wear while hiking. I just bought a pouch designed to attach to a pack strap that is just big enough to hold my GX7 with the 12-32 lens attached. I am going to try attaching it right where the strap meets the pack so the camera will rest on my shoulder like a parrot on a pirate. Not sure if that will be comfortable on long hikes but the camera will be easily accessible but positioned so I cannot fall on it. If it does not work that way I can use it as a waist pouch too. I am still looking for the best solution.

turbodieselvw

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I used it on the strap of my shoulder bag. I found it an essential part of my gear when travelling in Cambodia. I had one camera clipped on and one hanging on my neck with their neck strap. It made things easy when I was switching between cameras.

evilmeta

Mu-43 Veteran
Another vote for the capture pro on a shoulder strap. I actually use it when walking with my 8 month old kid in a backpack. Works like a dream with the peak cuff attached too, means he can't strangle me with a neck strap ANY MORE

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

adamsmt2013

Mu-43 Regular
I love mine. I find that I take my camera more places and get more shots as compared to pulling it out of the bag each time. Also, I detest neck straps because I usually hit it against something when I bend over.

DWhite

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David
I love mine on the shoulder strap of my backpack. Makes the camera very convenient to use while hiking and is so much more comfortable, secure, and convenient than chest harnesses and slings when backpacking IMHO.

When not backpacking, I use one on a ThinkTank ProSpeed belt a lot and like that combo very much. I've also got a ThinkTank Hubba Hubba Hiney bag on the belt to hold lenses, filters, and flashes. Wonderful combo.

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I love mine on the shoulder strap of my backpack. Makes the camera very convenient to use while hiking and is so much more comfortable, secure, and convenient than chest harnesses and slings when backpacking IMHO.

When not backpacking, I use one on a ThinkTank ProSpeed belt a lot and like that combo very much. I've also got a ThinkTank Hubba Hubba Hiney bag on the belt to hold lenses, filters, and flashes. Wonderful combo.

The HHH is my primary camera bag now, carrying a body and 2-4 lenses along with accessories and filters. I rarely use it on my TT belt however, it's usually on the shoulder strap. I often keep the camera itself out and clipped on my belt or just in my hand with a wrist strap.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I love my Capture, been using it since I backed the original kick starter. It was excellent for hiking with a full frame Canon, on the shoulder strap. Works just as well for the smaller kit. It's ok as a belt mount for events and such, but works best for me on the shoulder strap. I also think it's the safest position for the camera shirt of being tucked away in a bag - if I slip I tend to fall on my butt, and if I fall forward I'll tend to brace myself with the hands. My chest is - relatively - at a low risk of impact.

SkiHound

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm late responding here. I have a capture pro clip and pro pad. Can't compare to any of the other options such as those from Cotton Carrier or Spyder but I like it when hiking. I use it both on my belt and on the chest strap if I'm carrying a pack. I think a sturdy belt helps keep things stable. Keeps the camera available and keeps it from flopping around.

aukirk

Mu-43 Veteran
Another strong voice of support for the Caputre Pro. I have become so dependent on it, that I actually ordered a second one to keep as a "spare" in case I lose this one in 5+ years and Peak Designs is no longer arrive (although it is a great product, who knows the future of the manufacturer). However, now I actually use both of them.

I prefer to place it on the shoulder strap of a sling back vs. a backpack. On the sling bag (Thinktank Turnstyle), you can mount the clip down lower on your hip, which feels more comfortable and natural. With the backpacks, the camera ends up mounted up by your shoulder or chest, which seems very uncomfortable to me. Also, it makes it even more difficult to take the bag off to swap lenses.

When using a backpack, I typically carry the camera and have a capture pro on the belt for those times I want/need to use both hands. I use it together with the Pro Pad, which allows me to keep it clipped onto the device and quickly slip the back flap between my belt and pants.

Latest threads

Top Bottom