Peak Design Anchor Connector Flaws - Free replacements offered

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Aushiker, Jun 6, 2018.

1. PSA for any later users of Peak Design anchor connectors. Details in this blog post at DPReview.

• Informative Informative x 6
  2. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Thanks for posting that. I recently bought a pd strap through mass drop and like it very much. But I didn’t get any notification about this. Likely because I didn’t buy directly from Pd. I checked and I do have V3. They seem fine, but if they are replacing them for free, I think I’ll contact them.

3. comment23

comment23 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    Many of the camera companies should take note of this fine example of how to respect customers and maintain their trust. Granted it’s easier to do replacements with a $1 anchor than a $1,000 lens but the no fuss approach is welcome nonetheless.

Incidentally I recently spotted a minor defect (that didn’t affect 99% of the functionality) of my Everyday Backpack and it was replaced by PD without hesitation. So I’m well pleased with their customer service. Yes their products might seem expensive but sometimes you get what you pay for.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    They are sending me replacements. Great service and accountability. Off to buy a PD wrist strap, with or without Mk.4 anchor.

5. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes this is the type of service that generates repeat sales, unlike some of the other topics posted lately

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    Just bought 2 PD straps ( Slide Lite n Leash ) with V3 anchors , 8 of them in total . Completed the form n hopefully I will receive the replacement anchors soon . Bought the straps from local shops .

7. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    My new PD cuff wrist strap came with Mk.3 anchors.

8. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    My Slide Lite came with mk 2 anchors and about a year later they sent me (unsolicited) a replacement set of Mk 3 and the first of this week they are sending (unsolicited again) a replacement set of Mk 4 anchors. All of this at no additional cost to me other than the original purchase price. Yes I paid a premium price but the Slide Lite has given me excellent service and the company is providing premium product support! This is a good price after all.
    PS, the newly designed anchors are a lifesaver for those of us with Arthritis!

• Like Like x 2
  9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    FWIW, I have discovered that attaching a cord or even stainless steel fishing line to a camera via a split ring doesn't work. The cut ends of the split ring are sharp enough to eventually wear through the cord. I'm guessing that this is the problem that PD is seeing.

I have tried filing the cut ends but the rings are hardened spring stock, so filing is very time-consuming and its success is uncertain. Conventional steel files or diamond files, it's still slow going.

The easy fix is to thread the cord directly through the boss on the camera, omitting the split ring. The boss does not have sharp edges to wear the cord. With my setup using stainless fishing line, I connect the line to a very small welded stainless ring (which has no sharp edges) then thread the small ring onto the split ring.

10. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Looks like PD is providing the triangle split rings as well. They should provide them with the little plastic covers like Oly provided on my E-M1 which I think protects from that.

EDIT: nope, just looked at some photos and it looks like the cut ends would be in the unprotected side where the strap goes. I will have to look at mine when I get home as it looks like you may be able to mount the rings on the camera backwards keeping the cut ends in the camera's eyelet and then a smooth corner pointing away to attach the anchors.

11. Schwert

Schwert Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2016
    Pacific NW
    Ordered my replacements...thanks for the link to the recall survey.

12. Try a Dremel with a rubberized polishing tip.

13. oldracer

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Won't work. Prying the split ring far enough open to get access with a Dremel tip, which would be very difficult, would permanently distort it. Plus, working on the split rings is a time consuming PITA. I have a bag of the welded stainless rings, bought from a fishing tackle company for a few bucks, that will last me a lifetime. That's a much easier solution.

FWIW, here's a cell phone picture of the setup:

full?d=1526834230.

IMO any of the PD soft cords, if exposed to the sharp cut ends of split rings, will eventually be chewed through. Guessing here: Probably the triangular ones will inflict damage more slowly because the cord will tend to be in one of the triangle corners and not rubbing on the split ends as often. The only safe attachment of the PD device is to eliminate the split ring and connect directly to the stud.

Edit: @PakkyT@PakkyT says PD is supplying triangular rings. Maybe they are polishing the ends?

14. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Intersesting point. I just checked my cameras both have the plastic triangles. The G85 triangle keeps the ends away from the flat where you mount the strap, but the E-P5 has the joins where you insert the strap. I will try to pop the triangles off the E-P5 to make them the same as the G-85. I have not had any problems wearing as I use my sling and cuffs for safety lines only.

But best to keep the joins out of the way if possible.

15. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I thought it was the studs that were the problem for P.D. Might watch their video again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Schwert

Schwert Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2016
    Pacific NW
    According to PD, the failures they have noted are V3 anchors into the camera stud...not to split rings. The camera studs are rough and cut the cord...not a split ring issue at all.

17. oldracer

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I think you're right about what he said. I hadn't clicked through to find the video.

What he's calling eylets you and I are calling camera studs. My experience is limited to Panny G1, GX7, and GX8. With those I don't think I have seen enough roughness to make me worry about cord wear but I haven't used that method of attachment much and my sample set is a tiny fraction of the world of cameras that they see.

It makes me cringe, though, at about 2:08, where he has the cord set up to rub back & forth across the cut ends. Maybe their split rings have electropolished ends or something, but any of the triangular or round split rings I've seen would be eating their way through that cord toot sweet. Hopefully they have done something to the ring to keep that from happening.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Schwert

Schwert Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2016
    Pacific NW
    I have V1, V2, and V3 anchors all girth hitched to triangular split rings, some of these in use for many years. I closely inspected them all and found no cutting at all. I don't thing my cords slide back and forth on the split rings much at all though.

Good on PD for offering up this replacement. I have converted all my most used straps to this PD system as I find it to be extremely user friendly.

19. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Correct. As I gathered from the video, due to the wide array of different camera studs/eyelets with varying degrees of finish and edges, PD decided that along with the new anchors they would include triangle split rings so you put the metal split rings through the camera's stuff/eyelet eliminating that as the possible wear point and so the anchors attach to the provided split rings which I assume PD has determined to be compatible with their anchors.

Or put more simply, they prefer you to attach the anchors to an attachment point they have control over.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    Jim
    Peak Design is willing to replace either the V1 anchor (which I had 4 of) OR the V3 with the new V4 at n/c, via the online update program. The V2 anchor does not need replacing. I have 3 of their cuffs, a slide strap and the Leash. Luv their products and great customer service!

Here is the direct link: Anchor Replacement Program 2018

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.