1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Peak Capture Pro w/ OMD EM5ii

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by RobDMB, Jul 26, 2015.

1. RobDMB

RobDMB Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2013
    Anyone use the Peak Capture Pro with the OMD EM5ii? Specifically, I am wondering if you use the ProPlate or the MicroPlate with it? Given the location of the tripod mount I'm wondering if the larger ProPlate would hang over too much. Thanks.

2. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I use ProPlates on both of my E-M10's because I can hang them at 90° to change the lens. I have a MicroPlate but I don't use it. The ProPlate does hang over, but it's not a deal breaker and I'm use to it.

3. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    I use the micro plate on both the E-M5 and E-M/5II. The pro plate interferes with the tilt screen on the 5 and interferes with mounting the P100-300 on the 5/II. The major problem with the micro plates is that they are a good deal more finicky when inserting into the Capture when not put in absolutely straight. One learns to avoid the problem - mostly. Overall I'm quite pleased with the system.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  4. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    They are even more finicky to get camera out - I would happily exchange my "micro" to "arca" type (using with EM1).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    BTW, Peak Design is promoting their new "PRO" plate, so they are selling their clips with Arca, Micro and Dual plates at good discount. Plus it's easy to google additional 10% discount codes.
    I've just ordered Arca plate for $20.61 total.

6. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    Just picked up the Capture Pro, not sold on it yet. It just seems clunky. I have an EM1 and got the Arca compatible plate. I'll have to give it a few more hikes though. Because I love the idea.

-Joe

7. RobDMB

RobDMB Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2013
    Does anyone have a picture of the ProPlate on the EM5ii? When its said it interferes with the P100-300 does that mean you'd have to take it off to change lenses?

8. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    Anyone use the new pro plate that they claim is better then the previous versions and is good for all uses?

9. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

I have a Capture Pro for the E-M1. I use the micro plate, and it works perfectly - also works super nicely with my Arca Swiss style ball head, so don't need the base plate for that anymore and it just sits in the camera cabinet.

I also have the new style plate, no idea what benefits it has over previous versions, but I do well and truly love it. I travel a lot, and do a lot of hiking/climbing/running/riding and it has been flawless.

I've messed around with it on the E-M5 (a friend's unit) and it probably actually works better with that camera, as it's a lighter body. I'd limit the lens to about a 12-40pro/75 F1.8/7-40 pro sized lens at most, otherwise it starts to feel a bit odd.

As for the interfering with the 100-300 on an E-M5 MKII thing, I have no idea what they would be talking about - the plate attaches tot he bottom of the camera, there is zero overhang. Though I can imagine that if the lens has a large diameter, it may be difficult to slot into the clip. Though, as I said, that sized lens probably isn't what you should be using this clip for, anyway...

Z...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  10. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    Atypically, the mounting hole is situated very close to the front of the lens mount on the Mk II. It is simply not possible to mount the P100-300 with the Standard Plate attached. There may be others. Seen from the top, the Standard Plate measures about 32mm square. The Pro Plate measures at least the same along the lens axis and would present the same problem mounting the P100-300. The Micro Plate works. The Micro Plate measures ~23.5 mm along the lens axis and there's ~3mm (~1/8") clearance between lens and Micro Plate.

_HFB3558.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  11. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    Would this still be a problem if there was also a grip attached?

12. Hendrik

Hendrik Mu-43 Regular

Feb 27, 2015
    Wayland
    Likely not but then you run into battery access problems. The Micro and Standard plates do allow battery access - just. The Pro plate might be too large. I have been using the Mark II, Micro Plate and P100-300. The set-up is convenient and I have encountered no significant problems. The equipment is just too small and light to justify a Pro Plate. Sometimes bigger is not better.

IMG_1158.JPG