1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

pdaf on em-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by narkotix, Mar 12, 2016.

1. narkotix

narkotix Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2015
    Hi All,

Just wondering if you think its worth the upgrade to an EM-1 for PDAF? I have a few four thirds lenses that hunt on the em-5 (70-300, 9-18 and sigma 18-50 2.8) and i was wondering if its worth the money. I will be looking to purchase another four thirds lens in the future 50-200 to complement the others.

2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If you're using 4/3 lenses then it's a no brainer... I'm surprised you kept using them so long on the E-M5. Definitely worthwhile if you plan on getting the 50-200 and taking photos of moving subjects, the improved grip will help with a big lens like that. You get lots of other improvements with the E-M1, too many to enumerate.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. narkotix

narkotix Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2015
    thank you for the quick reply. Its actually been bearable for me as i haven't been taking shots of moving objects (mainly flora and architecture) but I would like to soon. My em 5 does hunt quite a bit (usually 2-3 seconds) so i am hoping this should take it down significantly. I also have a few manual primes that i'd like to use the focus peaking feature with (the poor mans hack on the em5 doesnt cut it for me).

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Just to note: I had a 70-300 and that one still hunts on the EM1.

5. narkotix

narkotix Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2015
    how noticeable is it against your other cameras?

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It was really slow on other bodies, but even on the em1 it was still much slower than any mu43 lens I had. I've heard that the 70-300 was among the slowest of the olde lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. narkotix

narkotix Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2015
    just came back from the shop and bought one. The gentleman who served me was kind enough to let me try my own lenses and the focusing was considerably faster compared to my old em5. I am now just waiting for the battery to charge and will get out there for some test snaps. Thank you all for your help!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Best of luck. I should mentioned that it's a great camera and a pleasure to use. Do you have an mu43 lenses?

9. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I would suggest you update the firmware to 4.1 before you get too entrenched with any settings. You will love the E-M1 after using the E-M5 but I still use both.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Please let us know your impressions after the switch. I'm considering this myself.

@azjsb@azjsb started a similar thread and your experience could be interesting.

11. narkotix

narkotix Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2015
    I've got a couple of standard kit lenses (12-50 and 40-150) that i hardly use. I`m either using manual primes or those lenses mentioned above.

12. narkotix

narkotix Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2015
    I used it last night for a couple of test shots after the 4.1 firmware upgrade and damnnnnnnnnn...the EVF, focus peaking and the grip. Its quite a difference from using the e-m5 (and worlds apart from my old 410!)

I will - planning on getting out today if the miserable Melbourne weather holds up!

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    :) It's a nice camera to use. Some of that stuff got put in the EM5 II, but the "ugly duckling" em1 makes sense as soon as you pick it up.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Ross the fiddler

Just another thought, if you're getting the ZD50-200 SWD lens (& I recommend the SWD version over the first one) then I would also suggest you look at the 100% rated (on ebay) suppliers in Japan as they seem to have good lenses & honestly stated with condition. I got mine a year ago (I would have loved to have had it for my E30 DSLR several years ago) & it was like new & very clean.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. narkotix

narkotix Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2015
    Thank for the tip - definitely looking out for an SWD version when the price is right ($4-500 AUD). Still unfortunately haven't got out proper with the camera yet as i've been occupied with work.

ALso for others and this is probably not news - focus bracketing (the one that requires you to post process, not the inbuilt body one) seems to be able to be selected with a kit 12-50 m43 lens, not just the pro and 60mm macro lens. I had it set on macro mode (43mm) and it seemed to take a bunch of pictures all with various focus. I put my big sigma 43 lens on and the option was greyed out.

16. Ross the fiddler

When I bought my ZD50-200 SWD lens last year it was US$603 (included postage from Japan) & that came up to around AU$800 (then). It doesn't look like there is anything available at the moment, from looking on ebay.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  17. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Focus bracket works with ANY AF m4/3 lens. It's stacking that only works with the 60mm, 12-40 and 40-150 PRO lenses.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  18. Ross the fiddler

Yes, & unfortunately the 4/3's lenses aren't usable for Bracketing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  19. narkotix

narkotix Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2015
    Thanks guys - i was misled by a post on another website that said either modes needed the pro and 60mm lens, so happy to be proven wrong with an even better bonus!

20. narkotix

narkotix Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2015
    yep your right - only the non SWD versions that are under $500. There is one for $550 for anyone interested from Korea

Olympus Zuiko 50-200mm F/2.8-3.5 SWD ED Lens

(sorry if im not allowed to post this)