1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

PD Focus Peaking on EM-1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by datagov, Sep 30, 2013.

1. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    You can use MF lenses on modern DSLR's that have Phase Detection. There are adapters with electronic connections between the MF lens and the DSLR that allow the PDAF system to detect correct focus on any of their focal points.

It is not a special feature. It is the nature of electronic Phase Detection Autofocus to be able to determine correct focus whether the lens has autofocus or if you turn the barrel of a manual focus lens. It is the same thing. When the phase changes and focus occurs, you get a beep and the focus box lights up.

In the Four Thirds world, there are special adapters with electronic connections that allow PD Focus Detection with MF lenses. I bought one on eBay for $20, for Pentax K lenses, and I bought a Fotasy MFT to FT adapter. I fully expect PD "Focus Peaking" to work brilliantly on any focal point I choose in the Olympus OM-D E-M1 and I suspect this method of Focus Peaking will be more flexible and effective than the Contrast Detection method offered in firmware.

2. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Subbed! Very much looking forward to your results!

3. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    It didn't work. But the EVF is so good you don't need it. It is easy to lock focus just looking through it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    What didn't work? I've tried a fully manual old Konica Hexanon 57mm on the EM1 and focus peaking works just fine - it's not as automatic as with the manual focus mode on a native m43 lens - you have to pull up peaking and/or magnification if you want them, but the peaking effect definitely works. I don't think it's a phase detection thing because peaking is available on any number of cameras that only have CDAF systems. But peaking does work on manual focus lenses on the EM1.

Or is this not what you were talking about?

-Ray

5. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Yeah I have the VF-4 on my PM2 - its pretty sweet for manual focusing.

I think you skipped his last paragraph completely :biggrin: