pc sync cord adaptor for om-d

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Kadmos, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Kadmos

Kadmos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Hi,
    I'm about to buy two hensel integra 600 ws strobes to be used with my om-d. Since the cam doesn't have a pc port I will need an adaptor. Is there any risk that the strobes would fry the hotshoe? Are there different types of adapters or are they all standard? I saw something called safe sync hot shoe adapter. Is that just another way of calling such an adaptor or does it provide some sort of extra protection. Ultimately I will be buying wireless triggers, but for now I just want to use the pc cables for an upcoming photoshoot.
    Thanks again. People here have been so helpfull :)

2. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    I have an EPM2 and I use the standard hot shoe to PC connector in a pinch which fits on the hot shoe and has a PC connector that you plug the sync cord into. They are safe and pretty reliable.

3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If in doubt of the sync voltage of the flash units then it is a very good idea to use the safe sync adapter as it limits the trigger voltage to the camera. If you go above that voltage then there is a good chance it can damage the camera. I don't think it's worth the risk to not use the safe sync adapter.

4. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    My thoughts exactly. And understand, the damage to the camera's circuitry could be gradual. Just because you trigger a flash and the camera doesn't burst into flames doesn't mean that the trigger voltage isn't causing damage. Better safe than sorry.

• Like Like x 1
  5. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    S.Yorkshire, UK
    Les
  6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    But personally I'd use a radio trigger, not because I was worried about the triger voltage but so I didn't have to drag a cord around when I'm shooting!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.