pc sync cord adaptor for om-d

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Kadmos, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Kadmos

Kadmos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    I'm about to buy two hensel integra 600 ws strobes to be used with my om-d. Since the cam doesn't have a pc port I will need an adaptor. Is there any risk that the strobes would fry the hotshoe? Are there different types of adapters or are they all standard? I saw something called safe sync hot shoe adapter. Is that just another way of calling such an adaptor or does it provide some sort of extra protection. Ultimately I will be buying wireless triggers, but for now I just want to use the pc cables for an upcoming photoshoot.
    Thanks again. People here have been so helpfull :)
  2. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    I have an EPM2 and I use the standard hot shoe to PC connector in a pinch which fits on the hot shoe and has a PC connector that you plug the sync cord into. They are safe and pretty reliable.
  3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    If in doubt of the sync voltage of the flash units then it is a very good idea to use the safe sync adapter as it limits the trigger voltage to the camera. If you go above that voltage then there is a good chance it can damage the camera. I don't think it's worth the risk to not use the safe sync adapter.
  4. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    My thoughts exactly. And understand, the damage to the camera's circuitry could be gradual. Just because you trigger a flash and the camera doesn't burst into flames doesn't mean that the trigger voltage isn't causing damage. Better safe than sorry.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
  6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    But personally I'd use a radio trigger, not because I was worried about the triger voltage but so I didn't have to drag a cord around when I'm shooting!